Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
book on stopping alz in 90% of people???
gubblebumm
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:09 PM

Egad, heard this interview, and they said if we "all ate totally healthy perfect diets, had no stress, slept well all the time, exercised like athletes, kept busy and involved in the world at all times, stayed the perfect weight, never ever smoked, stayed away from toxins in the environment, had no sugar etc, for the last several decades then we had a 90% chance of not getting ALZ"...so if your LOd one wasn't perfect in all things, well its implied its their fault.

Oh and then they said "eating a plant based diet will absolutely slow down the cognition loss for almost everyone with ALZ"

I called in and said "well my mom taught school for decades, stopped smoiking 60 years ago, exercised alot- power walking, bike riding, swimming zumba, weight training, etc for decades and still does (with me), ate a pretty much plant based diet for over 50 years, never over weight, and ate little processed food, and yet doing everything right she STILL got ALZ"

His response, well so sorry, but when we ask people how they exercise they say things like garder (which he snidely called meditation)...and that they didn't eat as well as they said...he was basicailly telling me my mom a fake good food eater and exerciser and she must have cause it...I was beyond angry at their arrogance, patient blaming, though they denied that.

Yes I get we all need to do all we can to stay healthy eat well exercise, but not everyone had a life where they can train like decathalon competitors everyday and get farm fresh produce they picked themselves. So unless you have lived and live the perfect stress free life, you are screwed.  This kind of research and reporting makes it seem like we can cure and stop ALZ once someone has it or stop it in almost everyone so long as they have money, time, access, and hahahah stress free lives!!!!  Anyone?

MN Chickadee
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:22 PM

"ate totally healthy perfect diets, had no stress, slept well all the time, exercised like athletes, kept busy and involved in the world at all times, stayed the perfect weight, never ever smoked, stayed away from toxins in the environment, had no sugar"

This is how my mom lived her entire life. No exaggeration. She socialized a lot, did brain teaser puzzles, was into earthy living and organic and non-processed foods long before it was talked about. She had just perfect habits, a perfect body and health. And she still got Alz. Sometimes makes me me wonder why bother trying. I guess to stave off the other diseases we actually have some control over. So that we can live to be old enough to get dementia! 

gubblebumm
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:29 PM

What irked me soooo much was the attitude, well she must not REALLY have lived like they suggest, because if she had she wouldn't be sick....and when I said, so if someone does live well etc, and they still get ALZ, then what is the reason, answe was They must not have then...oh a kicker was when " we talked to senior at churches, groups etc they all seemed so engaged, etc and as they were engaged in the world that added to them not getting sick!!"  Well, gee the sick ones don't go to those groups and chat away... those doctors just pissed me off, such trite responses
PaniniSandwich
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:37 AM

Gubblebumm kudos to you for going toe to toe with him.
It's amazing how many diets, supplements, trends are out there promising "if you eat this you won't get Alzheimer's" and really they have no idea but the promise of it is all they need to make their money.  It's disgusting.  

If there was proof eating rocks and twigs would stave off Alzheimer's I'd be all over that but there really isn't.  The only thing I've seen that seems to have any success is the Bredesen protocol, but my goodness there are 9 blood tests you have to take along with the diet strategies, I think there's some rocks and twigs in there, and lifestyle strategies, of the most important being sleep.

As a caregiver I look at all of that and think I'm lucky if I get 6 straight hours of sleep and eating before noon sometimes is a gift!  Forget about exercising, who has the energy for that?!

My mother ate well her entire life, she worked until she was 83, had a vibrant social life, went out every weekend, had lots of friends.  It didn't matter.  Do I think if we don't smoke, get good sleep, keep our stress level down and eat "the right" foods it would be great for our health?  Absolutely.  But there still is no definitive answer to why Alzheimer's happens or what we can do to protect ourselves from it.  

D in law
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:00 AM

You didn't hear much of ALZ in the 50's and 60's when everyone smoked and ate TV dinners.  People are living longer now so that wouldn't tell any intelligent person that hey, maybe we're doing something right!  

I also hate all these cure alls and people with hardly a degree try and sell their theory.

They do this with lots of diseases.  I didn't give myself breast cancer because of my lifestyle.  My breast simply made a mistake.  Living longer is surely going to cause a malfunction in ones brain.  Maybe one day there will be more research and an answer on the cause.

Iamnumberfour
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:05 AM

Precisely why I get irritated when people post exaggerated claims for various herbs, supplements, essential oils, and restrictive diets on this forum. Most of these claims are anecdotal and do not stand up to the rigor of well-constructed, large-scale randomized control trials.

A healthy lifestyle--especially not smoking--may reduce the risk of heart disease, dementia, and other serious illnesses, but does not offer a 100% guarantee. In fact, the only guarantee is that all of us will die of something. 

D in law
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:23 AM

And pay taxes!  LOL
Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:51 AM

Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist. I'm a special ed English teacher (well, was)...

There is no way that these claims can be validated without an extensive, long term study. You would have to identify a large group of people fairly early on in life that were likely to develop dementia later on in life. And really, the only way to identify a group like that would be through genetic testing. I'm obviously not an expert on such things, but a quick google search indicates that even if a person has certain genetic markers that make it likely that they will develop dementia, it isn't absolutely certain that they will.

I'm guessing if there were actually a study that this was based on (and there wasn't, he's going totally on conjecture), the margin of error would be so high that the study wouldn't be valid.
MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:57 AM

My mom led a healthy lifestyle and still got AD and so did my stepfather (LBD).They both had a mother with AD. There are other factors involved and don't just give up.
gubblebumm
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:01 AM

My point is the pretty much guarantee you won't get ALZ if you live the perfect ideal life.  And if you don't well its your fault you get ALZ.  And they were very condesending people.  Yes do our best, but a guarantee and if you still get the disease, well too bad, you weren't perfect enough, pretty much their message which also dismisses medicines etc for those who are all ready sick, except, oh just eat raw plants.  And that to me is scary.  Yes, we should all live best we can, but to say, oh don't have any stress in your life?  Really?  On what planet?

What this does is say, oh, here we are, this is all you need to do!! Well my mom did all that, so yeah its her fault she got ALZ.  I have talked to a few of my friends about their moms, and from a nurse, to a lawyer, to an accoutant to a busiiness owner who ate well, exercised, well they still got ALZ and dementia.  NONE were in a dangerous way of life etc, and voila still sick.  So while studies are great, they dismissed medicine, and made it the person's fault and that sucked

MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:09 AM

Well they might be trying to sell something. I'm glad you contradicted them. I would have done the same. 

My mom is the 3rd in her family to get AD. It's not her fault, of course not!! She might have done some things that triggered it, unknowingly of course. My aunt smokes, sits around, and eats junk. She said that she has dementia but I'm not too sure about that,yet. She lives out of town with someone. 

Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:12 AM

No matter what you tell someone like this, they will still find a way to blame it on the victim. You could say "My mom never drank, was a vegetarian, and exercised 5 days a week" and their answer would be "well, she should have exercised 6 days a week.
MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:29 AM

My mom had a stroke about 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure that's what triggered it. I keep forgetting that. It's so multi faceted who really knows? 

Eric

My brother blames people for their illness. He is infuriating and I walk away. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:30 AM

Just have to add my agreement. Nothing that we know of now can prevent dementia.

I do believe that having Best Practices as part of one's life style can postpone when symptoms appear and slow the rate of progression.  But i absolutely hate the idea that we can prevent dementia!!!

× Close Menu