Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Self Care for Caregivers
DarlingDee123
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:11 PM

Hi everyone!

As I'm sure we all know, caring for our LO can be draining and exhausting. Self-care is extremely important in order to remain efficient and sane, and I am here to ask the forum about ways you conduct self-care. Whether it be winding down at the end of the night with a good book, a bubbly bath, or a sweet snack, I'd like to know what you have tried, what is successful/unsuccessful, and what helps you the most. 

Thanks for reaching out!

EN85
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:36 PM

Hi DarlingDee123, that's a good question. I usually just try to find something funny to watch. I Love to laugh and I don't get to do that a lot during the day because I'm caring for mom and researching things all day. So a good comedy really helps me calm. Currently watching Home Improvement in the evenings helps me just escape my reality once mom is sleep for a hour before I'm off to sleep myself. Pretty much anything that gives me a laugh helps to recharge me for the next day
SelEtPoivre
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:50 PM

Can you update about the situation with your GM and her friend? How has that worked out, or not?

I’d also appreciate if you would describe how your posts (and our responses) will be used for your class assignments

I’m curious about both, thanks

Iamnumberfour
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:24 PM

I am with Sel. I would like to hear whether your family has come to any decision about GM and her friend. I would also like to know whether you are using this forum and the responses of individual members to complete class assignments. 

DarlingDee123
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:19 PM

The class I am taking is social work with groups. The assignment requires me to participate in an online group for at least 8 weeks. I chose a caregivers forum for memory diseases because of my situation with my grams. I figured I would make it worth my while to choose something personal.
Each week I submit a report about my participation in the group (e.g. made supportive comments, created a new post, read posts etc.), ratings of how valuable the session was and how much I felt like I belonged in the group, and then feelings and attitudes before, during, and after participating. I do not share any specific identifying information such as usernames or anything life that.

gubblebumm
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:32 PM

I feel this was a disengenous question for a school assignment and I wish that had be stated upfront.  As such, eh...
NC caregiver
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:46 AM

I wish you well in your future career Dee.  Since I take care of Mom here at my home full time & it is difficult for her to go out for very long, my self care is to get away from the house any time I have someone to stay with her.  When she is sleeping I watch shows on Netflix, read books, etc.      I really enjoy walking in a flower garden and spending time with my daughter .
Beachfan
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:24 AM

I don’t have a problem contributing to someone’s class assignment.  Lord knows I had a few undergrad and grad projects that required input from those in the trenches.  That being said, here are my “guilty pleasures” that I rely on for sanity and wellbeing: regularly scheduled haircuts, gel nail manicures, pedicures, facials and “stress-fix” massages.  ( I can leave DH at home alone for up to 3 hours at this point.). Thankfully, he sleeps like a baby so from 10 pm until midnight, I read or catch up on TV shows I’ve DVR’d, or check these forums.  My friend called several days ago to inquire about resuming our golf outings when the weather breaks; I’m all in, but will need to plan more comprehensively for that.   And then there’s the beach.....my happy place!  Good luck in your career endeavors, caring for your grams and in your future.  Life is short; make the best of it.
ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:45 PM

Hi DarlingDee123,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with our community. Being a student in the medical field of course does not preclude you from participating in these forums. Our guidelines do restrict research posts promoting for-profit endeavors or not-for profit solicitations. This post does not appear to be in violation of these terms, but if you would like to review the ALZConnected guidelines they are linked in our help page: https://www.alzconnected.org/contact.aspx

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:49 PM

1) Lately, I try to pick dates someone can be with dad so I can go see a show or concert.  I'm going to see Volta soon (Cirque Du Soleil).

2) Read from my kindle.

3) Go to the beach and take my dad in transport chair for an hour walk.

4) Laugh

Keep up the professionalism, Dee.  You will get far.  Take care.

LadyTexan
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:48 PM

Self care for me is;

1-connecting with other caregivers via this forum. 

2-attending a monthly support group in person.

3- soaking in a hot bath. 

4-biweekly therapy. 

5-vacuuming the house and washing the sheets. 

6-filling up my pill box first (before DH’s box) to remind myself that I am important too. 

7-taking my meds as prescribed. 

8-keeping an attitude of gratitude  

As you can see, my self care is not glamorous. Money is tight. Time is scarce. Gratitude is free AND priceless. It lifts me up.

RobOT
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:15 PM

DarlingDee123, you'll learn so much from interacting with the real world of care giving, keep it up!  I agree with Lady Texan, too, gratefulness makes us better people and clarifies the meaning of the struggles we go through on this path.  Lately I've been rereading my favorite books, and making bread--I know, sounds crazy--for some reason it comforts my dad when he knows I'm doing that, and I get to talk to my neighbors for a few minutes when I give them a loaf. Double benefit .
Whinsed1974
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 3:29 AM

SelEtPoivre wrote:

Can you update about the situation with your GM and her friend? How has that worked out, or not? [URL= https://tirereviews.co[/URL]

I’d also appreciate if you would describe how your posts (and our responses) will be used for your class assignments

I’m curious about both, thanks

Hi

I, am new here. I have a relative suffering from alz. I would be so thankful and grateful if someone can give me more advises and information how to treat them correctly? thank you

Buchanan
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:32 AM

Hi Darling,

Taking longer showers, putting on make-up, listening to music, and a 5 minute meditation each day. All of these works for me. 

Victoria2020
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:24 AM

Dee -couldn't you read existing posts where this topic was addressed already instead of just doing a paragraph? You know, like research work? Compare what people did in a better and worse economy etc.

Would "make it worth [your] while" a bit more I would think.

× Close Menu