Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
When did you change LO to a hospital bed?
Suziesb
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:55 PM

We have my mom in a queen sized bed with side rails for safety, in her own large bedroom in our home. She used to get out of bed prior to her hip fracture and so we also had a bed alarm, but now the side rails are enough (still use a nanny cam, too). 
It's so difficult to transfer her in and out of bed. She can't sit up very easily by herself and since I tore my rotator cuff I can't lift her. 

She's also been coughing more at night, and I think being elevated in bed would be good. She in Stage 6 but has been declining recently.  How did you handle the switch? I feel torn but I feel for safety and both of our health reasons we need to.

TessC
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:38 PM

I switched to a hospital when my mother was just like your mother is now. She needed help getting out of bed and was coughing a lot at night. I bought the bed and the best, most comfy mattress I could buy, plus added a memory foam topper. The bed was as comfortable as her old queen bed, but I could more easily get her out of bed and raise her head at night.
Seasons In The Sun
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:29 AM

My DW is on Hospice care now for about three months.  I just got a hospital bed last week as getting her out of bed was finally taking it toll on my back.  She can't sit up by herself of stand and the lifting was killing me. Just the fact that I am able to raise the bed so she is in more of a sitting position and also raise the height so I don't have to bend made a world of difference and it has only been a week that we have had the bed. Don't wait.

If she is on Hospice care they will pay for it. If not on Hospice care apply for it. Sounds like you would qualify in my opinion.  Best of luck & best wishes to you.

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:13 PM

We got our bed last week because my mother started to require two people to assist her to stand. It's a great help when getting her out of bed. We raise her to a seated position and then place her legs in a position to stand up. Also, because the bed raises up, it will make it easier on our backs when we have to clean her up. I went for the full electric version which electrically raises and lowers the bed as opposed to the semi-electric which requires you to manually crank up the bed. I replaced the thin memory foam mattress that came with the bed with her regular spring mattress which offers her more comfort. I use Goodnites Disposable Bed Mats to protect the mattress.
Suziesb
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 12:18 AM

Thank you so much, Tess, Seasons and Bob. I appreciate the input. I'm going to go forward and get a hospital bed. It will be much better all the way around. I hate seeing her decline

× Close Menu