Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Need more posts in this category!
Vik
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 10:41 AM

I read ALL the categories in this Forum even tho im not a caregiver. I learn SO MUCH from every post!

Being diagnosed with EARLY ONSET DEMENTIA (im not able to memorize the abbreviations), i am disappointed that theres not more people writing in the 2 categories for those of us WITH DEMENTIA!

Have u noticed how many daily posts there are in the other categories?  I challenge those people with dementia to share their thoughts and ideas so others can learn about dementia, especially those who are recently diagnosed and are desperately searching for knowledge and support with their new reality!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 12:27 AM

I agree, Vik.  I learn so much from my fellow members.  Peer support is VITAL for living with dementia!

Iris

McCott
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:18 PM

Hello Vik -- I think the problem is that Alzheimer's patients lose the ability to write, type and use a computer -- that is certainly the case for my husband, diagnosed in 2014, with symptoms for at least a year before that.  I never knew about this site until he had progressed to stage 4, now stage 5.  He has no understanding of the fact that he has a memory problem, and has not gone on his computer in years.  He used it mainly for work, never for any kind of social media, and at this point, he'll never go near a computer again.  I wish I could talk with him about the situation, but he literally has no awareness of his problem.  The one thing he does talk about is being tired all the time, and he does sleep a lot during the day, but still goes for walks on his own.  

The people with dementia who do post here seem not to have Alzheimer's, but a different form.

Good luck to you.  Mary

Vik
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 10:33 AM

McCott.  SO SORRY about ur husband.  You hang in there!  I believe u are correct that people with any kind of dememtia either dont hav the interest or the ability to post on online support groups. But for those of us in earlier stages need to stick together and encourage and inform each other along the way of our journey as long as we can.

× Close Menu