RSS Feed Print
current CBD oil use
alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:28 AM

This is my personal account of treating symptoms of ALZ with cbd oil, I am not suggesting anyone do this and I have only personal experience and that reported by others online as basis for my findings. There is plenty of information online about it, video showing people responding within minutes, this is what people miss. It acts like a fuel and you don't take it for weeks waiting for it to kick in. It happens within minutes, you find yourself doing things you could not before.

Sublingual means let cbd oil absorb before swallowing, place drops under tongue, hold for 1 - 3 minutes, currently using tinctures in bottles with dropper from dispensaries.

Have been forgetting to take it which is a problem I did not foresee.

I moved my medication basket around to make it more obvious.

Daytime: CBD oil is 4:1  cbd to thc

Afternoon: (start to fog out heavily, usually in bed by then) 1:1

cbd to thc

Night time: I am out of dispensary sleep oil so using former version which is heavily THC. 

Anxiety episodes: use small dose of night time oil or puff on Indica

Because we don't have dispensaries nearby I have been gifted edibles from neighbor who is baking for people in chronic pain, insomnia, and anxiety problems. I would think dispensaries in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado would have super good bakery items. 

Insomnia is  a problem for us and our caregivers. If you want to be asleep all night I think edibles are very reliable and not hard to give someone. My first dispensary edible experience was extreme. I didn't know you don't eat the whole thing and I became frozen and room spinning. fortunately daughter was there and put me to bed. slept about 10 hours straight. 

taking CBD oil is not like having a glass of wine and feeling upor high. I do not "feel" anything. I do not feel altered at all. I find myself doing things easily, find myself out of bed, dressed, being able to function without forethought.

Some people expect to Feel Something and when they don't, miss the benefit of what was happening. I believe CBD oil gave me a second chance at life. The physical aspects of Alzheimer's continue to progress but it has slowed down the intensity.

This is NOT Hemp Oil.  

Keeper has diabetes and high blood pressure. He started the oil 2 months ago on daily basis. His speech has returned and he is physically active again. He does not recognize the change in himself but it is astounding. He is thinking clearly and active. He will get his numbers checked soon and that will tell doctor if he needs to back off meds (which have not helped significantly).

My understanding is that CBD oil will balance blood sugar and lower blood pressure (as it did for Bill before he went to assisted living) so if you have another condition you might find you need to adjust medications for those conditions

as far as I know there have no bad side effects to  use of cbd oil

love and courage

MPSunshine
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 6:33 PM

Simple message for alz+, no matter what you do, I am supporting you!!!!! Love, courage and prayers !!! (Mostly prayers.)
Vik
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:15 PM

Alz+  as you know, but ALOT of PEOPLE DONT KNOW, is that CBD oil does NOT give u a "High" feeling. That is caused by THC in marijuana. Many states hav legalized CBD oil but NOT THC. From what i hav read about both, is that CBD oil is the MEDICAL component while THC is the chemical that makes people high. I hav been doing ALOT of reading about demenria and readimg what peoole hav to say about dementia, both doctors and lay people, and most people who hav tried CBD oil say that it has helped their dementia sympoms including anxiety, insomnia, depression, and more. Im thimking of trying it once ive done more research on it....

P.S.  ive also read and heard that CBD oil helps control blood sugars, which im also researching more bcuz our dementia brains use glucose.

Smilesyourway
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 1:21 AM

Perhaps I should give it another try.   The CBD i bought was pure CBD....no THC.   If I use any THC I become parinoid and my BP goes up.   I have cerebral vascular disease so don't need ANY high BP.   It's all very interesting.   

Smiles

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 6:27 PM

CBD oil has literally been your life line, alz+

I have learned more about how to treat and live with Alzheimer's from you than I have learned from reading hundreds of scientific articles.

Vik
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:35 PM

Smiles, yes THC causes paranoia and delusions so stay away from that!  From what ive read from others in early onset is that people with dementua can become paranoid AND have hallucinations, so we ALL need to stay away.from that as thats just one more thing to deal with in the dementia spiral.  

I ve also read that since CBD oil is not regulated by FDC, the quality can vary widely from one CBD to another.  My suggestion would b to start at lowest.percentage of strength and then increase as needed.

I think im going to ask other people in other online support groups for dementia who hav used it to share their experiences with it....

alz+
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 8:58 AM

about THC and paranoia fear...

I think you are referring to incorrect dosage? people who take way too much (like I did with first edible and ate the whole thing!) and/or people who react to cannabis with anxiety and find it unpleasant? There are people who do not like the feeling of being "high" on cannabis and good point to know if even zero thc oil would also be unpleasant. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

Any dispensary will have tinctures that are being widely used for medicinal purposes, but it is up to each person to find their correct dosage and most safe thing is start with fewer drops - sublingual absorption may take 2 minutes - and then relax. When it works it's like being thirsty and drinking water, you stop thinking about being thirsty.

The first time I took cbd oil (which was heavy with thc, made for cancer patients) it tasted bad, I spent some time getting the taste out of my mouth, then found myself 20 minutes later upstairs figuring out an insurance claim dispute involving math.  It had been a burden for months, the numbers made no sense to me. I yelled to husband "I just figured out the insurance claim problem!" 

Years later it is more like I am too exhausted to get out of bed much less walk dog until I remember to take a dose and then 30 minutes later I am dressed and putting on boots and off we go. I walk a lot slower and shorter distance but it still affects me and I hope others find their own unique benefit.

Regarding danger - yes people should research it as best they can.

easiest & safest for quality and labeling of ratios is to use a dispensary. Many deliver to your home. Because the strain of low THC oil that helped children with seizures called "Charlotte's Web" became the turning point for legalizing cannabis, any dispensary would know what would be similar for neurological conditions.

as far as I  know there is no cbd oil specifically for Alzheimer's and we are often not able to report back our experiences, success or failure. 

There are videos on youtube of grandkids giving grandparents CBD oil in nursing homes and the grandfather moves himself from his wheelchair to recline on a sofa and speaks. I know this sounds fake and impossible.  A man with Parkinson's made videos of himself  relaxing after 5 minutes of vaping oil or cannabis (search Riding With Larry).  No adverse side effects except if overdosing, as far as I know.

It is affordable (about $50/month) and works for me.

also: there is a drug Marinol available by prescription. I have been exchanging info with a guy who cares for his Mom with ALZ over past 4 years and he gies her this and has videos of her relaxing and becoming cogent. http://marinol.com/  I think Bill had asked his doctor about it, not sure if anyone here has tried it.  Read the "adverse side effects" section carefully. 

( I took cbd oil and spent an hour working on this post and enjoyed it )

Rockym
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 9:10 AM

I saw this post and thought I might have something to add.  A few years back I was in CO where marijuana is legal for rec. use.  After not having used it for 30+ years, I gave it a try.  I was hoping if it worked out, I could use it for mom who was having a lot of anxiety.  Turns out I didn't understand the flower of today and got way to high.  It took 3 hours to get back to myself, but afterwards I figured that wasn't for us.

Fast forward a few months after mom passed and I was having panic attacks.  I read up and went to the dispensary in my state where you can purchase CBD oil with .3 THC without a card.  I started with 1/2 dropper in the morning and 1/2 dropper at night.  This brand was called full spectrum and not just isolate.  Turns out the panic subsided with no ill effects.  I couldn't figure out if it was a placebo effect, but I didn't care.  I was able to handle life again.  As I felt more secure, I backed off the 1/2 dropper once a day and then not at all.

Because full spectrum CBD is rather expensive, I did some more research and decided to get my medical marijuana card (very easy in my state) and experiment a little.  Purchasing flower and other products are very inexpensive and for me, great to use on an as needed basis.  Never in my life would I have thought I would be be smoking marijuana again.  I use very high CBD with low THC.  The strain I use most often is called AC/DC.  I also use a vape pen that is 8-1, but I don't quite understand that one as much only that it works and has very little odor so it can be used in public.

I hope this post can help someone else as I am happier using the CBD compared to pharmaceuticals.  The difference is the CBD seems to leave my system much faster and I don't end up feeling that draggy feeling of pills.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:33 AM

RockyM -

I use bud in a short glass pipe for anxiety.  The Indicas help me relax and that is a big deal. My toes curl in spasms and makes my bones hurt when walking, I take a puff before heading on a walk with dog.

There is (or was) a website for a former police officer I think called Riding With Larry - he has Parkinson's and had muscle contractures and shaking. He used a machine to vape cannabis and videotaped it and you can watch his body relax within minutes. 

https://youtu.be/zNT8Zo_sfwo

link to video of his try with cannabis

When you get to the part where physical aspects are more of a hassle this seems like a harmless and effective thing to do. The machine he used was expensive, $400 maybe? Can't recall name but much easier on lungs and I think no smell.

I also had rages that went on for days which were stopped in minutes by take 3 puffs of Purple Kush which my daughter got at dispensary. I have never allowed myself to have an extended rage since and even the lower quality bud I can get near me works, but I will never forget (?) that night I took that purple kush and all the rage melted, my body relaxed and my heart opened. None of us in room expected THAT much change that fast.

Appreciate your comments and think I could learn more about the modern way of using cannabis for dementia and also for caregiver anxiety- and SLEEP. Took half cookie last night and slept 6 hours straight.

yes, start with least amount and work from there. Guess people don't smoke a joint anymore, one puff and done.

alz+
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Parkinson's patient uses cbd oil   https://youtu.be/zNT8Zo_sfwo  

older woman with Alz  https://youtu.be/sb6g5-A1ljA

older woman late stages able to speak  https://youtu.be/OvL0hTfee48

woman given marijuana via a pill for anxiety  https://youtu.be/OlRnKmufRZc

Unforgiven
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:30 PM

Hello, Alz!  You have helped me.  I'm currently taking CBD oil for my back pain, and I just swallowed it.  I had not known to let it absorb sublingually, and I probably wasn't getting the full effect.  This is mail-order oil, not from a dispensary.  We don't have those yet in Wisconsin.  After years of me toughing it out so as to put off taking the strong pain meds too young and developing a tolerance, my scoliosis finally got the better of me.  I went to a spine clinic, was told there is no surgical intervention, and discovered that with the opiate crackdown there was no hope for palliative care either.  Just my luck.  I am taking whatever I can get until my backward state can legalize medical marijuana.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:37 AM

Unforgiven -

what a shame an ancient herbal medicine makes some of us criminals.

I really don't know about the mail order cbd oils, I have seen Hemp Oil sold and tried some and it was not effective. Maybe have to take bigger dose, I think it is fundamentally different than cannabis oil.

Also learned new the doctors interested in treating "untreatable ptsd" and crushing depression are using guided sessions with peyote and Ayahuasca and this allows the psyche to move through the barriers and recover their true selves which sends cascade of healing throughout body and mind.

https://www.theholisticsanctuary.com/treatment/ayahuasca-retreat/

I don't have access to a doctor doing this, or therapist or whoever but when I was young I used Peyote and will never forget the feeling of belonging in the world and the love I felt.

If I were of use to the science building new ways to help broken minds and souls I would volunteer as first Alzheimer patient. I am considering making the offer.

CBD apparently releases different elements during sublingual absorption and in stomach. www.leafly.com has links to in depth info on how the medicine works.

Doctors have cat scans and pet scans now to watch brain change with administration of the medicine and are learning the brain will heal broken parts in ways they never knew.

I do forget to take it now, even with bottle at bedside, just realized I had not taken it today.

I also don't think it helps vascular dementia although it does lower blood pressure (If BP is high) and lowers blood sugar (if blood sugar is high). The basic function is it rebalances systems in an integrated way, not so much targeting one thing and attacking that like meds.

Pain must lower cognition much like anxiety does. Relieving pain is a good thing.

Much love to you

Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:39 PM

I tried to write last night, but hit send right after the site closed for maintenance.

I came back after over a year away, and you guys were still here, going strong.  It felt like coming home in a way.  I saw you were in a rough patch and wanted to tell you that you are still a valuable source of wisdom and comfort in my life.

Ours is such a strange, puritan country that expects people to suffer even when palliative measures are available.  I hope the pendulum will swing back when it comes to quality of life, even if it requires the use of substances we have heretofor seen as dangerous or immoral.  Of course pain leads to depression which leads to more pain and cognitive issues.  I don't like smoking, so it would be brownies for me.  LOL.  I can hold my nose and swallow just about anything, but my current CBD oil comes in chocolate mint, which is quite palatable.

Love and courage to you.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:27 AM

I forget to take the oil since I was moved to new place and everything is different.

Since I have nothing to do here, I don't have that as reminder (sitting unable to move)

When I walk my dog my legs quiver if I forget oil. 

The person now in charge of things, Habib, is suffering his own disabilities including his mumbling. After a seizure months ago he mumbles. He CAN make himself move his lips but he doesn't "want to" so I have given up on conversing with him about anything but simple stuff.

Today he is gone most of day and I notice he bought himself liquid B12 - he got the version that is JUST B12, not the whole complex. I gave him a dose of my bottle of B12 complex and he spoke more normally. Refuses or can't understand how it matters.

He did go to eye doctor and they told him he needed new glasses and to get rid of bifocal in his 1 dead eye lens. This may improve his driving ability.

I learned to not offer him any help or speak unless spoken to.  

Today I am taking oil and felt I could write about the difference between B12 and B12 complex. Going to a dispensary some day soon, going to ask what patients are reporting, if anything new.

Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:57 PM

Semi good news for me, Alz.  I saw on the news about an attempt to open a dispensary in a town close to me being met with local opposition out of ignorance.  The good part is that it seems to be legal in this state, which is definitely something new.  High time it came, since traditional pain medication is all but impossible to obtain.  I think an actual dispensary might have something more suitable for my problems than the mail order I have to rely on now.

I would suggest you place your oil somewhere you will see it during your daily routine to be reminded.  Like in your bathroom next to your toothbrush if you have your own private bath.  Or near the toilet paper, since you surely will not forget to answer Nature's call.  I've been doing this for a while just to make life simpler.

SunnyBeBe
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Are all dispensaries created equal?  How do you tell what is quality,( has impurities, added chemicals etc.) ?
MarleneG
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:28 PM

I just joined today.  Your post put a big smile on my face! Keep those prayers coming.

In HIS Grip

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:03 PM

By the time the window opens to type I forgot what I wanted to reply to.

1 - keep it by toilet paper   ! genius. Never heard this before anywhere. OMG

2 - dispensaries in California are unequal maybe in source of their suppliers but the oil to be sold has to be ... put through a machine that analyzes what is in it, levels, and pesticide free, clean and then the potency is on label. 

because they are drops I never knew really how much I take, but I am very cheap and use the lowest does of everything, even chocolate. The lowest dose that works sometimes mean I might be not taking enough, esp on days with the shaking legs thing and toes curled under.

Marlene - welcome!

3 - forgot again. I spend a long time thinking out these responses but can't hold thoughts to convey what I would like anymore. Thankfully, all you need to know is available online from sources that are the best.

Unforgiven, the attitude toward cannabis medicines is making it hard in legal states to not go against community wishes. Unfortunately, people with disabling conditions do not go to town meetings or hold local office much. This happened in Michigan where I lived, the locals denied permits to dispensaries and suppliers which would have meant maybe 50 jobs and lots of people getting off expensive medications.

With new governor there were new growers in my area who were supplementing their income and people were making their own oils and giving to neighbors. Dispensaries have the equipment to analyze, some states have requirements.

remember to let drops stay under tongue a minute or MORE. Apparently the ingredients metabolize differently sublingual and swallowed and smoke, all different substances are absorbed by different ingestion. 

also, you don't FEEL ANYTHING DIFFERENT except more normal and able to do stuff.

a test I use: write down 8 numbers. come back in a few minutes and read the numbers, then write them down again from memory.

take oil. in 15 minutes try number thing again

in 30 minutes repeat. 

this way it is obvious, I sometimes can remember all the freaking numbers.

another test: I may not feel like I can walk the dog, after oil I realize I took it once half way down the road. In youtube videos you see people in wheelchairs get up and move after 15 - 30 minutes, that is how one might know it is working.

Our grandparents' doctors had cannabis oil in their doctor's bags. It is an old medicine and we have a system in our body with receptors in almost every cell 

the EndoCannabinoid system:

https://www.uclahealth.org/cannabis/human-endocannabinoid-system

alz+
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 11:41 AM

Just learned the constant fear that is symptom of dementia for me, and panic is calmed by the oil I have been using for SLEEP ONLY.

For years I have thought only cbd oil in day time, don't want to be "altered" in day time when alz symptoms are already making think difficult.

Yesterday while very upset and alone in house and feeling the trembling fear chemicals I was too tired to get up to reach day time oil and took night oil which is 3 times thc to cbd

An hour later realized fear was gone, I was laughing about thoughts that were streaming into my head like when I could write novels, dogs were enjoying the atmosphere too.

Turns out THC in daytime is NOT (for me) like being drugged at all. The trembling shaky sensations were gone, was cognitively sharper, able to type at near normal rate (my main activity in life now), my toes uncurled, muscle unclenched, and forgot about what I was troubled over.

My dose is .25 mg/g  (on dropper lowest dose marked) sublingual 60 seconds+

I slept well last night, had intense dreams in color.

The dispensary I use keeps records of patient results and what products have success or failure for patients reporting. The bottles have been purity tested and labeled. This ratio cbd oil is listed as very helpful for "aches, pain, stress, insomnia".

Will use daily for a month and try to figure out what - if anything - it helps. I took it before posting here today and feel like getting dressed now and walking with dog before heat increases. Mellow mood. Optimistic for first time in many months.

For $40 a bottle could try it for a couple days see how it affects you. At low dose no bad side effects unless you drank the whole bottle, pretty sure you would be asleep for 12 hours or more if you did and miss the benefits.

***If you do start to use CBD oils be sure to check your blood sugar levels if you have diabetes and blood pressure if you have hyper or hypo tension. CBD normalizes endocrine systems and electrical pathways, some people have lowered their heart or diabetes meds due to changes in monitored levels.

This 3:1 is a favorite of veterans with ptsd, opens heart chakra and lets a person leave trauma behind for awhile. For me, my sense of humor came back to enjoy again for an afternoon. 

please help others by sharing what you find works and what doesn't.

love and courage

Unforgiven
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 12:58 PM

See what I've been trying to say?  Sometimes, taking a little something that takes the edge off can return us to normal rather than 'altering' us.  My spouse tells me not to hold my breath waiting for medical marijuane to be legalized in Wisconsin.  You are lucky to be in California.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 1:17 PM

agree!!!!!

If the CBD is good order the stuff and take it. You are fortunate to be able to get it.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:50 AM

The thc oil in day time - hours after taking it I was extra tired.

Finally peed normally after using 1/2 ativan days ago. Today I am taking half dose thc oil and full dose cbd oil.

thc .12mg instead of .25 on dropper

cbd .25mg

The THC eliminates the shaky trembling feeling I identify as fear and others identify in me as "unstable" "unhappy" 

can't believe it took me YEARS to try thc in daytime! Better late than never.

about figuring out a dose

cbd oil has no real toxic side effect so I use lowest dose I need (partly cause it lasts longer and I am cheap) I could take more but am not improved more with higher dose.

thc oil does have sleepy or extra happy effect which means you could take more than what you need to lessen your anxieties, rages, fears, insomnia, pain etc

If you take too much thc you can get dizzy or feel "high" in an unpleasant way. Compare to a glass of wine to a bottle of wine, intoxicated.

if you do get intoxicated cuddle up somewhere and sleep it off. I di take too much first edible I had, thought it was meant to eat the whole thing, was probably 6 doses! My daughter was there and put me to bed, slept 10 hours and woke up feeling great but never want to do that again.

wish I wasn't the only person writing about this here!

Unforgiven - I have been on antidepressants for 50 years. Research connecting them to dementia now.

Serotonin is made in our gut, 10,000 times more than in a pill everyday. Gut bacteria is now being studied for depression. I started Florastor 1 daily and it helped my intestines function better but don't know how to tell if it helps my depression.

I remember the Indian doctor who diagnosed me who was lifelong ALZ doctor and loved dementia patients, he said Zoloft was safe for ALZ and i was already on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6079596/

"Our findings indicate that antidepressant use is significantly associated with an increased risk of developing dementia. Therefore, we suggest physicians to carefully prescribe antidepressants, especially in elder patients. Additionally, treatment should be stopped if any symptoms related to dementia are to be noticed."

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 1:07 AM

I was taking probiotics before.  I should go back on them.

Iris

× Close Menu