Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Sunday, July 21st from 8:00 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
Picking(1)
slj
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:27 PM

My mom a developed a terrible habit of picking at her face.  It is hard to even carry on a conversation with her because she is constantly picking.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, have you found anything that can help stop it?
Beachfan
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:15 AM

My DH picks at his hands and fingernails.  He has the nails picked down to the quick until they bleed and he complains.  I bandage the nails, he removes the bandages and picks again.  If I say, "look, you're nails are bleeding, stop picking them."  He will say, "I didn't do it, who did it?" He won't tolerate a fidget item; just puts them aside.  I am hoping this phase will pass.  As Roseanne Rosanna Danna says:  ALWAYS SOMETHING!!!
Eric L
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:34 AM

Oh my goodness.. in the earlier stages my MIL chewed her fingernails down to nub. It will pass before you know it. She hasn't chewed on her nails in a really long time. I suppose it some sort of combo of meds and progression of the disease.
harshedbuzz
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 2:00 PM

Some approaches-

1. Sometimes picking is a sensory thing. Keeping the wounds from forming hard scabs that pull can help sometimes. An ointment like Aquaphor or Neosporin to keep them moist plus a bandage might help.

2. Sometimes redirecting the picking to another task helps- mating socks, folding towels, peeling stickers or doing a puzzle might help. DS went through a "picking" phase; I coated his palms with white glue and let him peel that away.

3. SSRIs can help with this repetitive behavior, too.

NC caregiver
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:46 PM

My Mom did this a lot on both her arms and face .  Keeping her engaged in anything that would capture her attention helped a little.  We had a rice bag you heat in microwave & she would warm her hands on it which kept them off her face.  Also a really soft lap blanket she could rub.  We did find a little help by using lotion meant for ecxema .
Glorias daughter
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 9:04 AM

I have heard that fidget quilts are s good distraction from harmful behaviors. It gives folks a focus for their nervous energy. You can find them on Amazon and Etsy.
C D
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:14 PM

My dad has a huge scab on his nose that never heals because he picks it off constantly, putting on a bandage doesn't help he just removes it. I keep covering it with petroleum jelly or neosporin but nothing helps. Would love to know if there is so ething to stop it.

× Close Menu