Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Dale Bredesen program? Has anyone tried it?
GothicGremlin
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:31 PM

My younger sister was diagnosed last summer with early-onset AD, so we're all trying to learn as much as we can asap.

In his online searches, my brother happened upon Dr. Dale Bredesen. Dr. Bredesen has a book out called "The End of Alzheimer's", and two programs (ReCODE and ReVERSE) that aim to improve cognition for those with AD.  My brother is absolutely convinced that following those protocols to the letter will cure her. I'm not sure why he's so adamant about this.  As far as I know, there's only been one small study done.  I think it was statistically significant, and showed promise, but that is a long way from a cure.

I'm conflicted. Getting good sleep, exercise, and eating a diet without a lot of processed sugar is great, no issue from me there. The diet is the keto diet though, which doesn't seem like the best idea for people with Alzheimer's.  I've read in other places that the MIND diet is better.  The keto diet is almost the opposite of the MIND diet. I also question the use of supplements and the many, many (expensive) tests.

Does anyone here have a loved one who has tried this?  Has it helped?

feudman
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 9:33 AM

Welcome to the forums. There is plenty of info here on all topics related to AD.

Dr. Bredesen & his protocol have been discussed. To pull up these threads, click on the green search box above, then search "all forums" using his name as the keywords.

Maybe your brother would be interested in reading the opinions expressed. The expense is significant. Many of the PWD (people with dementia) that contribute here follow what's called "Best Practices" lifestyle, which includes a Mediterranean diet. You may want to consult or post on their forums for more info.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:13 PM

Since you are investigating alternative/complementary therapies, search for threads on cbd oil and aromatherapy.  By all means, your sister should follow Best Practices.  Also, visit the Clinical Trials board.  Invite her to join us in the Younger Onset board.

Iris L.

GothicGremlin
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 4:59 PM

Thank you both for those pointers. I really appreciate it. I'll start running all of that down.

Weird as this may sound, I've never known anyone with Alzheimer's and it doesn't run in my family (so the genetic tests tell me) so I'm kind of at sea with all of this, and trying to catch up as quickly as I can.  There is SO much info out there.....

× Close Menu