RSS Feed Print
The Future of Home Caregiving...Paying Relatives
feudman
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:52 AM

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/medicaid-program-takes-aim-at-shortage-of-caregivers-509218771.html

Revolutionary? These Medicaid programs have been around for quite some time, under different names such as "Community Waiver," "CDC," "1115 CDASP," "Cash & Counseling" etc. To be sure, every state has their own requirements and conditions. Spouses, followed by children of the client, are most often prohibited from eligibility.*

In some states and programs the relative can be paid directly; in others, they must be employed by a home care agency or PCA agency, but in "Consumer Directed Options," the client may pay their related caregivers directly. Pay rates vary considerably by state & region.

* Because by federal law and custom, they are considered "financially responsible." In a 2004 study, 2/3 of states prohibited payments to spouses even in non-Medicaid programs. A 2009 study (R.E.Cooper 2010) found that 36 states allowed payments to parents of adult children, but only 6 allowed payments to parents of younger children, and only 10 allowed payments to spouses (some only in special circumstances). I cant find more current data. 

D in law
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 12:39 PM

The program is only eligible to Medicaid recipients. A nurse also determines medical eligibility and how many weekly hours of care each patients receives.

There's always a catch.  I hope if I ever get this disease I am entirely broke so I can qualify for a bed in a county run home that accepts medicaid, or I qualify for one of these programs right out of the gate!

I believe in PA to be a paid caregiver you need to be certified and employed by a medcaid partcipating agency.  Then you could get the job of caring for your loved one.

PA also has a waiver program, which is no more than 30 hours a week, and limited services as a lot of folks with dementia need more supervision than they do physical therapy, wound care, or other medical stuff.  

PaniniSandwich
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 6:44 AM

Great info!  Isn't that the truth, there's always a catch.  

I always look at that "must be certified and employed at an agency" so you have to become certified and then why would these agencies hire you so you could only work with your person? What's in it for them?

× Close Menu