RSS Feed Print
Glad you are here
Sally A
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 9:33 AM

Hello thank you,

My sister and I I've been caring for my mom for over 5 years. Sib did it all by herself for two years until her wife started getting too upset about it. I am now taking Mom three weeks out of four but I need to find a way so that I can take her all the time because flying up to Portland and back is really bad for her. I really need support.

I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay area. I'm hoping to find other people who are single caregivers. I wish I was a web developer because I think a matchmaking service for caregivers would be extremely helpful useful and loved.

Thank you, thank you again for being here. I know that this is a low-traffic list but I just wanted to say hi. I'll go on over to the caregivers forum now.

Sally

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 8:07 AM

Hello Sally, and welcome to the alzconnected Message Board.   You do indeed have a challenge with the air travel, and I can well understand the difficulties there must be with your mother having to fly back and forth between SF and Portland every three weeks.   You are correct in assessing that is not a good situation and one that can abruptly become fraught with all sorts of unexpected and unforeseen issues.

There is an organization located in San Francisco, called, "Family Caregiver Alliance."  The link to the website will give you an idea of their purpose and mission.  They are very helpful.  If you go to the the top of their web page and click on who they are, they have information about their services:  They have so much going on and often have really excellent no fee webinair presentations on different topics related to caregiving.  I enjoy getting their emailed publications and updates on all sorts of things; it is worth signing up for that.  There are no fees involved.

https://www.caregiver.org/about-fca

The Alzheimer's Assn. also has a Helpline that can be reached at, (800) 272-3900.  If you call, please ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this servicc.  Consultants are highly educated Soial Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are very supportive, have much informaiton and can often assist us with our problem solving.

Another good link is to CANHR, "California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform."   They are not a source just for nursing home information, they site is filled with all sorts of wonderful and very important information regarding a host of topics.  They too are located in San Francisco.   Their very detailed information regarding Medi-Cal and other  topics is excellent and as time moves forward, some of this becomes more important.  They have an advocacy capability and legal information regarding California and national/federal items, so it gives a person a place to gain a foot up when information is needed.   Here is their link:

http://www.canhr.org/

It is great that you are also going to be using the Caregiver's Forum; that is very well attended and there is much information and input to be gleaned there.

I hope that all goes well with your planning regarding your mother, she is indeed blessed to have adult children who are kind and caring.

J.

Sally A
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:06 AM

Thank you, I hope my brain keeps working long enough for this to be useful.
EN85
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:33 AM

Hi Sally, I think your idea is amazing. I swear it's so isolating to be a caregiver and leave you know time to get out and socialize. I've been single by choice for the last 2 years and now it seems that I will be single for the next however many years by force. A matchmaking site for caregivers would be great as we understand each others struggle. I am doing some coding and if I'm able to get something off the ground, I would love to include you. Definitely don't want to get sued on top of caregiving struggles lol.

× Close Menu