Help keep your loved ones safe with the Home Safety Checklist.
RSS Feed Print
Jury summons
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:00 AM

I got a summons for jury duty. I'm going to ask my doctor for a medical excuse.  The form asks for the reason for the medical excuse.  I don't like this; this is an invasion of privacy.  Strangers don't need to know that I have cognitive impairment.

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:30 AM

I just call them and trow it out. They never listen anyway. Who caRES IF THEY COME AFTER ME.
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 7:40 AM

Hi Iris, there should be no problem getting the doctor to provide an acceptable excuse for you.   I do not think that strangers would have access to your information beyond an overburdened clerk entering your information into a computer.  In all probablility, if the doctor documents a cognitive issue as a permanent condition, it is likely that your name would be taken off the list of potential jurors permanently .

If one has significant arthritis and is unable to sit for long periods of time, that is also an accepted reason for opting out of jury duty.

In California, once someone reaches the age of 70, they simply return the summons with age as a reason and then one is permanently removed from the computer as a potential juror.

Good luck,

J.

Andy61
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Within reason, I don't really care who knows I have issues.

I received a summons for jury duty last year. I sent them a copy of my Drs report diagnosing me with amnestic MCI. I also included a brief letter informing them I would love to serve, but I would not remember the majority of the testimonies nor would I retain much of the transcripts when reviewing the testimony. A week later I received notification I was excused.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:27 AM

Thanks for the support!  In my experience, disclosing that I have cognitive and memory difficulties has only brought me grief from people I know, so I do not share that info.  The information is supposed to be kept private, but we can never be sure.  This reminds me of a story: several years ago, I was in my bank and overheard a bank representative discussing a doctor's personal information in public.  The doctor, who I knew personally,  had an unusual name so I knew it was him.  And he had recently been in the newspaper.  The bank rep's desk was in an open area where anyone could hear.   I don't want that to happen to me.  I keep a low profile now, but I used to be somewhat known in the community.

My doctor was not in today, so I will call tomorrow.  I can't wait until I am 70.  I am having difficulty managing my own life; I don't want to be responsible for another person's life! 

Iris

TayB4
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:37 PM

Iris, my daughter has intellectual disability, and could never serve on a jury. When she got a summons, her doctor wrote that she has a permanent cognitive condition that would not allow her to be able to make complex decisions. She received a permanent medical disqualification. I think this is a a routine situation for the courts.
Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:47 PM

Pardon me for the minority opinion, Iris, but I have served on several juries, and you are no more cognitively impaired than any of the people I served with.  I think it might shock you how many people do not remember salient points of testimony and evidence.  But if you wish to avoid serving, have no fear about disclosing your own personal health reservations.
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:22 PM

The form states that medical exemptions are for twelve months.  

I know other jurors may have their own cognitive limitations, but I do not want to be responsible for making a major legal impact in someone's life when I am struggling to manage my own life.   

I am passing the form on to my doctor this afternoon.  Tomorrow I will have fasting blood tests done for the cardiologist.  This is an example.  I used to be able to keep up with my medical appointments, but I didn't write this one down.  He had wanted me to have a special test at the beginning of the year, but I never got around to it.  Now it's six months later.  Fortunately his office sends email reminders in advance of the appt, so I called this morning and set up the lab appointment.  I have to become more focused on keeping to my routines.  Having and keeping to a routine is the only way I can manage my life.

Just thinking of these two small issues is causing me unnecessary anxiety, which then again, worsens my memory and functioning.   I'm hyperventilating.

Iris

eaglemom
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:09 PM

Iris I am 100% certain you can get released. If your GP won't do it surely your neurologist will. I know I've seen a sign in physicians offices stating its $25. for them to sign the form. Don't be surprised by that.

I know that DH has received summons and I've just called the court and ask if he couldn't be removed and its happened immediately. If I'm remembering correctly I just stated he has "some cognitive issues & doesn't drive." There were no questions asked.

Deep breaths, this will be fine.

eagle

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 11:52 PM

Mission accomplished!  I managed to give the form to my doctor; she can sign it and mail it in tomorrow.  Whew!  What an ordeal!  What a psychic ordeal!

Fasting blood tests in the morning.

Iris

× Close Menu