Standard Monthly Site Maintenance Scheduled for Sunday, July 21st from 8:00 p.m. CT to 2 a.m. CT.  Click here for more information.

RSS Feed Print
Question About Reisberg FAST Scale
NoSiblings
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:28 AM

I've tried to research this on the Internet, but I am not finding any answer. On the FAST scale it says: "7-a: Ability to speak limited to approximately half a dozen intelligible different words or fewer in the course of an average day or in the course of an intensive interview." Does that mean that the LO only knows a half dozen words? Many days my mom probably doesn't speak that many. But she is capable at times of saying more. No conversations or long sentences of course, but she can tell me she loves me when I leave. In fact she can say, "I love you more than anything." Other than that she primarily says yes or no. She can also tell me  "you get some rest," when I tell her I am leaving and for her to rest well. One day this week I asked her if she would like me to do a certain thing and she said, "have to think about it." So she is capable of uttering more than six different words. I never hear her say anything to her aides or the nurse other than yes or no. So does that meet the criteria for 7a?  I know my mom meets the criteria for 7-c and 7-d. She can not walk at all, and she must be placed in a Brody chair to sit otherwise she will fall out of the chair.

I know it says that with AD the steps are always met in sequence, but does that mean that the sub-steps also must be met in sequence? 7-b is saying only 1 intelligible word in the course of a day. When she only says yes or no, that would qualify, but she can say more than 1 word. I am arranging for hospice to come evaluate my mom, and I know they utilize the FAST scale. I'd just like to feel I have as much information as possible before the evaluation, not that my having information will change anything but it just makes me "feel" better.

feudman
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:52 PM

My experience with several Hospice providers is that they will be looking for ANY stage seven symptom(s)....any one will do. Patients do not always progress through the symptoms in order (as many have reported "skipping around"). Whatever the most advanced symptom they have presented with determines their stage.
NoSiblings
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:36 PM

Thank you! Meeting scheduled with hospice for evaluation tomorrow.
Daughter in Florida
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:20 PM

Good luck with your meeting with Hospice. Based on my experience, your mother will be qualified and receiving care by next week. My prediction.
NoSiblings
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:30 PM

My mom is now officially on hospice. I am sad, but mostly I am relieved. Thank you all for your encouragement and sharing your experience with me.
JJAz
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:46 PM

I'm glad that you're getting help from Hospice.  For anyone else who is curious, the FAST scale is not evaluating people based on their BEST days.

× Close Menu