RSS Feed Print
GPS Tracking for Wandering
whatnext
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 4:05 PM

My mother wandered off for the first time yesterday.  Dad was at home but outside and did not realize she had left.  We estimate that she was gone for about an hour.  We found her passed out on the side of the road from heat exhaustion (we live it TX and it was 102).  Took her to the ER where she was treated for dehydration but everything else was fine.  I've spent a lot of time today researching different devices.  I wanted something small that would attach like a security tag at a department store.  After visiting LOTS of web-sites, I found it!!!  I ordered it today and it should be here by the end of the week.  It allows for real time location, perimeter settings and is the size of an oreo cookie.  I plan on updating this in a few weeks to let you know how it goes.
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 11:41 PM

I decided not to purchase anything like this because my father began to show signs that he would not keep anything attached to him.  He would often lose his cell phone, no longer knew how to use it, lose his ID card (I made a bunch on laminated duplicates of his ID so he could carry.  He would play with his wallet and lose his cards, then I would give him another).  I had to accept nothing was safe with him anymore.  
It got to the point of locking him in the house with double bolt locks when I had to go to work and no one was available to care for him, but there is a huge safety concern doing that.  Eventually, not far from where your mother is at or where she is now with her disease, he could just not be left alone.  And for walks, I would take him out myself.

Have you watched the movie "What they had". I recommend watching it if you have not already.  It may be difficult for your father to watch her all the time. The movie will show how it is.

The double bolt locks help, especially at night.  But there is a risk.

SunnyBeBe
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:05 AM

Wandering can be really scary.  My LO, who was a real indoor person, suddenly went into the parking lot of the AL and tried to get into the car with someone. She wanted to go to a mall that didn't exist anymore.  Thankfully, the staff invited her back in to wait for me.  She attempted this several times, when her doctor prescribed a SECURE Memory Care facility.  

The device might be good to locate her if she wanders, but, it doesn't help prevent her from walking out into traffic, falling off bridge, getting into car with strangers, etc.  Plus, as Ruth said above, she could discard the tracker.  So, I'd focus on getting adequate 24/7 supervision, so that she can't just walk off.  Is your dad prepared to do that?  Could he catch her if she took off running?    I'd check with an attorney and local laws about what is legal in securing someone inside the home with locks.  There may be fire codes and other laws about it. 

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:04 AM

I also purchased the jiobit tracker for my DH a few weeks ago.  I am still getting used to it.  It has a very sturdy grip when I put it on my DH's belt (hard for me to put on and take off), he can remove it as he is still pretty strong but I put it on the side slightly to the back and he forgets he has it on.  He doesn't mind me putting it on him either as I say it is to keep him safe and I can find him.  I am with my DH 24/7 but use it whenever we go out shopping, travel or church etc.    When not on my DH, I sometimes put it on my dog's collar and watched when my daughter took him for a walk.  It updates I believe every 5 minutes when it is away from a safe location but every 15 when at home and sends alerts when they leave a safe zone. As others say, it is not fool proof is your LO is a wanderer (my DH is not ....so far, he doesn't like the heat) but it does give a little extra piece of mind. By the way, we are also from Texas and yes the heat has been unbearable outside, over 100 degrees everyday for a week.
MinutebyMinute
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:49 PM

There probably ARE fire codes for double deadbolt locks but this is how I slept at all for the first two months in our new home. I used them only at night ... and twice while I made midnight or early morning runs to get her something. Before we moved, I had put a padlock on the backdoor and sufficiently stacked packed boxes in front of the front door. Not the best from a safety standpoint, but I got some sleep ... even on nights when she tried to get out. She was only successful once at that point.

I never left her unattended all day locked inside.

There are also some kind of safety devices you can attach to keep them from opening a door once they have unlocked it. I have looked into these but not purchased since she hasn't tried to leave ... even since new doors sans double deadbolts have been installed. (Probably jinxing myself here.) They say wandering is a phase. I hope that's true ... and that ours is over.

The geripsych doctor on her last admission nearly five months ago basically said she can't be left alone anymore. And I've not done this, except on the rarest of occasions. I was already doing this before that diagnosis directive. So, she's either with a caregiver at home, at daycare or with me.

× Close Menu