RSS Feed Print
Missing My Grandma
Family_Member2019
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:46 AM

I posted a similar post in the caregivers forum.

I am a woman whose Grandma passed away on August 13, 2019.

I wasn't expecting it so fast.  The last time I talked to her on the phone I was planning on visiting soon but she had forgotten where I lived and thought I lived closer and she cried and said that she would never see me again.  

Days later she declined and was just asleep and they kept her on pain killers and hospice was called and she died the day after hospice came just a few days after she started declining.  Even when I knew she was declining I wasn't expecting it so fast even though she was 92 years old.

She has a sister who is going to be 101 next week and I believe that my grandma would have been the same way if she hadn't started falling and hitting her head and having bleeds into the brain and strokes. She planned on living to 100.  

The first fall was due to icy ground and a hyperactive dog that she had taken out side. Other falls were due to a condition she had which made her fall.  They would have done a surgery for the condition that caused her to fall had it not been for her age.  

I wish the nursing  home had checked on her at night to see if she needed to go the bathroom or just gotten her up at night to go to the bathroom because she fell rushing to the bathroom more than once.  This frustrates me. 

She died because she kept falling and having strokes and her dementia got worse.  A few weeks before she died she had bleeds into the brain from falling and hitting her head.

I'm glad that she knew family and friends to the end even though she was getting more confused.  She woke up briefly when she was dying and smiled when she saw one of my cousins and he meant a lot to her. 

She did die peacefully thankfully.  But my heart is still grieving of course. I miss her so much.  My faith is helping.

Dahlke
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 8:53 AM

Sorry for your loss.  My Grandma Voda was the concrete in or family. She has been gone for 10+ years, and I still miss her.

Cynthia

× Close Menu