RSS Feed Print
Are Tremors Normal?
BikerNurse412
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:43 PM

In addition to the Post Vacation Blues,  today my Mom told me that she is experiencing almost constant tremors all over her body.  The doctor gave her Lorazepam but I am going to talk to him because it's not working anymore. 

Also,  today she wanted to know when she was going to get an appointment with the neurologist so she can get on some actual medication for Alzheimer's. She has her 3 month follow-up in 17 days. She was officially diagnosed in May of this year. It's like she did so good for 4 months and then because we took a trip and when she got home,  she quit eating and exercising,  she went back to where she was before she was when she was diagnosed. 

I just want to know if the tremors are normal and if anyone else is out there dealing with the same issues that I am. 

Pathfinder52
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 7:07 PM

Dear BikerNurse --

You don't mention her diagnosis (what sort of dementia she's dealing with?). Tremors are more common with Parkinson's disease or Lewy Body Dementia. They could also be totally unrelated to the dementia and merely another issue going on for her.

So sorry you have yet one more thing to deal with and discover its origins.

--p

Mike&BrendaTX
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 9:32 PM

Tremors are also a part of Alzheimers.  "Intention tremors" usually occur in hands and arms as the person is trying to grab something.  Once they grab it, the shaking usually stops.  This is not always the same as the tremors in Parkinson's, which often occur when the arm is at rest.  My neurologist told us that these tremors are part of "parkinsonism," which happens with ALZ patients, but it is not Parkinson's.

So, yes, some tremors are part of Alzheimer's.  My wife has these.

Mike

BikerNurse412
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 10:19 AM

Sorry about that,  Mom has Alzheimer's.
BikerNurse412
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 10:23 AM

Thank you, everyone!
Army_Vet60
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 11:10 AM

BikerNurse412 wrote:
It is possible for a PWD to have more than one type of Dementia.
If your mom's neurologist hasn't been told, I suggest you let the doctor know about the tremors.  Parkinson's and Lewy Body symptoms such as tremors can be missed when the PWD is in the late stages of ALZ because that is also an ALZ symptom. Parkinson's and Lewy Bodies have their own distinctive symptoms that will come out eventually. 

Let the doctor know about the tremors and, at the least, ask about the possibility of Parkinson's/Lewy Bodies. If she has Parkinson's, different medication is needed to relieve those symptoms.

My wife was treated for ALZ for nearly six years with Namenda and Dolepezil. Parkinson's w/Lewy Body symptoms showed up in the last year of her life. At that point, she was pulled off the ALZ medication since it was now useless and switched to Parkinson's meds to relieve the new set  symptoms.

JJAz
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 12:24 PM

BikerNurse412 wrote:

My husband also had Alzheimer's.  But tremors appeared.  Then gait problems appeared.  Then other symptoms.  He got an added diagnosis for Lewy Body Dementia.  Lorazepam can have paradoxical effects in Lewy patients.

Blessings,

Jamie

twills83
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:12 PM

Diagnosis is difficult and there is so much overlap.  I get different stories from different people. I believe my dad has both Vascular Dementia (strokes) and Alzheimers.  He has some slight tremors in his hands and poor fine motor control.  He's had this for a long time and its gotten worse.  Could he have been missdiagnosed?  Who knows.  What's clear is he has dementia, it's a degenerative condition and it's getting worse.  His brain scans show signs of both multiple old strokes and generalized brain atrophy.

× Close Menu