RSS Feed Print
Triggers(2)
dorad
Posted: Monday, October 7, 2019 12:43 PM

Hello, I have been reading up on triggers of aggression with Alzheimer's and they make sense to me, however, it occurs to me that when we take our dad out of the retirement home whether it's for lunch or to my home or my brothers, he becomes aggressive in the retirement home within a few days.  He is happy to go somewhere. 

However, when we visit him at the home he seems to be fine. 

Anyone have a similar situation to mine? Is it routine we are disrupting or the fact that he is alone once again.

Thank you. 

caregiving daughter
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:20 PM

My guess is that bringing him home is a reminder that his life has been taken away. Disrupting the routine is also anxiety causing to pwd. It doesn't hit until later like you said so the people taking him out will tell you he's fine. I think many people will say they see agitation after bringing a mc resident back to their home or their family's homes.
Rozie
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:52 PM

Hi Dorad--  I notice significant behavior changes in my FIL after disruptions to his normal routine.  He has a few friends that will pick him up and take him to lunch every couple of months.  He's gone for a couple of hours and every time he returns, he'll be agitated and restless for days.  He's not aggressive, but persistent in going to a job or packing to leave.  I'm not sure what stage my FIL is in-- he has absolutely no short term memory, but he knows these men are familiar or should be familiar to him.  My husband will sometimes take him out running errands to Home Depot on Saturdays and it does the same thing to him.  My DH has cut back on doing this because of the disruptions it causes.  My FIL still lives with my MIL so not exactly your situation, but I really think it's the disruption in routine.
Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 5:56 AM

I find these sort of behaviors too.

× Close Menu