RSS Feed Print
It finally happened....my father doesn't know who I am
radnova
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:05 AM

I am new to this message board. I guess I am needing a place to talk about it. My father is 91 and is in later stage of Alzheimer's. He is still at home with a wonderful live-in caregiver. I live in the next state over and see him every month and help as needed. 

The last trip I took was the first time he didn't know who I was. I knew that day would come but it has been on my mind ever since and I can't seem to shake thinking about it. Both of my sisters and my mother have passed and I don't have any family to discuss our memories with. My husband and kids are great, but somehow I wish I had my family to talk to. I keep having memories of our childhood growing up with my dad.

He is very ill and in late stage. He can barely sit upright now, doesn't eat too much anymore. He is wasting away physically. Last month he got pneumonia but seems to be better now. He has jaw problems that require surgery to fix, but of course and rightly so, he won't be having any more surgeries. 

This is my first post and just wanted to say hello and give a current status of my situation. 

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:29 AM

Hello there! You can come here anytime. There are other forums you can view and participate as well on this board. Please take a look around.

I’m sorry to hear about your father. My father doesn’t know me for over 2 yrs. He’s like my baby now. A spoiled one too. We’re going to celebrate his birthday today. I got a cheesecake for my dad, the caregiver (even though she’s on a diet), and me. After work and dinner, he’ll have a slice. He still eats very well.

Continue letting us know how you’re doing.

markus8174
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:12 AM

I'm the spouse and primary caregiver for my stage 5 wife. I've been dreading this milestone for months. She has off-and-on forgotten our girls, and their children. Last week was close. I was back to being a close but non-romantic friend that comes over now and then. Later I was still me by name but I was an extramarital affair she was having behind my back? " Mark! You'd better get out of here, my husband will be home from work any minute." (logic isn't a strong skill for the Alzheimer's population).

× Close Menu