RSS Feed Print
Looking for advice for Mom who has progressed quickly
Nickstepuml
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:05 PM

I am writing after hearing this evening that my Mom became convinced my Dad and Brother were trying to kidnap her while they were driving, and she started hitting my Dad and trying to jump out of the car moving at high speed.  They are heading home from a trip and it’s just my Dad there taking care of my Mom and my brother.  I’m terrified that they still have sharps in reach at the house, and that we are all so unprepared to manage these severe delusions and violent behaviors, which have come on very suddenly.  Does anyone have advice about next steps I should talk through with my Dad?
I really appreciate this community and the wonderful support and advice you give each other.  Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
twills83
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:49 AM

It is probably time to start thinking about and researching some kind of care facility. It only gets worse from here, unfortunately.
Sweetwater
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:10 AM

The first thing I would do is get her checked out for a UTI. A UTI can cause sudden, out of control behaviors in PWD. Good luck, Sweetwater.
caregiving daughter
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:22 PM

Yes on looking for an infection. Second would be to consult with primary care physician and most likely a geriatric psychiatrist.
EldestGrandchild22
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:40 PM

I agree with those who suggest ruling out infection, and would also like to ask is your mother on multiple medications? About a year and a half ago, my grandmother was experiencing hallucinations that caused her to wander. The family was concerned that it was a rapid progression of her dementia from Alz. but we figured out that she was mixing up her medications, causing the delusions.

× Close Menu