RSS Feed Print
new behavior
Golondrina
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:35 PM

Since my mothers trip to the ER her behavior has changed ,she has periods of anxiety where she gets very agitated,makes sounds like mouning sometimes like she is jamming and when my brother visits she get so happy and doesn't know how to express it that she starts to shake and laughs  in a very exaggerated way ,my mother and my brother have a very especial relationship he is the youngest and was born sick and had health problems all his life so we all kind of baby him and now he can't stay for long because she can't handle his presence but still wants to see him every day ,when she does all this during the day is not a problem,but at night o my god is so horrible I try to distract her with other things but nothing works and then all of the sodden she falls asleep
LicketyGlitz
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2019 9:35 PM

I suspect that traumatic events, like perhaps your mom's ER trip, can accelerate dementia's progression. I'm not a doctor, and have read nothing to the sort, but when my dad died my mom's progression jumped ahead leaps and bounds, then leveled off. And again when we moved her to memory care another huge jump - we ended up bringing her back home which resulted in another leveling off.

Does music help calm her? Is she fidgety? Does folding laundry, or giving her a "purse" filled with purse stuff that she can open and close and mess with, anything like that help when she's agitated at night? Our mom calms down for pudding! Sometimes stays calm afterwards!

Good luck to you and your mom.

TessC
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2019 11:35 PM

Often a LO with dementia cannot express themselves and so their bodies may react in such profound ways as shaking, speaking gibberish, crying or laughing. If this was my mother I would try to cover her with a weighted blanket and just hug her and rock her while I tell her how much I love her and she is OK. Your brother, her son, should try this and see if it calms her. Even if it doesn't-she will love the contact.

I think our LOs don't get enough physical contact once they begin to change and decline and that hurts them mentally and emotionally.My mother was always content. and I think the years of massage therapy, my hugs and stroking her back, etc, really helped her remain centered. Good luck!

Golondrina
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 1:01 AM

Thank very much for your response we try some of your suggestions but nothing work until yesterday my brother talked to her on the phone and she was okay didn't get agitated and was able to have a conversation with him he talked to her two more times and she was ok today he called her again and she was fine,with me when she started shaking and yelling or making noises we walked around the room and was able to sleep for awhile today she did better 

LicketyGlitz and TessC I fallow your posts every day you two are so easy to express what you want to say I wish I could express myself the way you do thank you 

× Close Menu