RSS Feed Print
First delusion
RanchersWife
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:14 PM

I THINK my mil just had a delusion.  I woke her up from a hard sleep for dinner and meds.  She was spacy and tried to sort her purse.  She didn't respond to suggestions she take her pills or eat.  I didn't push it. Then suddenly she became alert and told me that she thought she was somewhere else but that she's ok now. She was concerned about what she had been thinking. She realized it wasn't reality. I told her she probably wasn't all the way awake.  That comforted her...and it might be true too.

Do your LOs recognize their delusions or wrong thinking after the fact?

Suziesb
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:50 PM

My mom had one or two a few months ago...just out of the blue and none since, so weird. She saw something on the ceiling during the day. She wasn't frightened and the caregiver was with her at the time. She came out of it and never mentioned it so we just let it go.

Other episodes have occurred, though, similar to what you're describing, where she thinks she is somewhere else, or she has to go "upstairs". She sometimes comes out of it and does recall where she is. Other times she just talks about something else or we distract her. 

My mom is late stage 6. What stage is your LO?

RanchersWife
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:10 PM

Susiesb,

I would say she's a solid late middle stage 5 in most areas.  She could be late stage 5 but she's very compliant and asks for help.  We leave her alone for a few hours in her tiny house (next to our house) now but I see that changing.  I stayed with her the rest of the evening until my husband came home from Scouts.   He sleeps in the loft.  We are always checking with eachother to compare notes about her functioning.  

TDDIMER
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:48 AM

Waking up with delusions of reality happens often for my Mom,  almost always it has to do with not knowing where they are and how they got here. It doesn't matter if she lived in the same home for last 28 years, she has a strong urge to leave and is always asking to go home.

Sometimes I can bring them back to reality by going over things from par past, talk about when they were a young adult. This misdirect seems to work sometimes because by the time we are done talking, she has forgotten what we was worried about.

I have also noticed that if you ignore negative emotions and refuse to confront them until it passes they will eventually snap out of it.  It is like telling a child that you won't talk to him unless he stops yelling or saying bad words.

zauberflote
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:27 PM

3 years ago in AL Mom used to wake up wrong sometimes. It would take one on one and breakfast in her room to get her into reality. When I was there, and she'd see me, sometimes she would ask ifit was a dream or I was real. She's only asked that once in the past year.

× Close Menu