RSS Feed Print
Got a nice wheelchair for $20.00
Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 12:10 PM

I got it from Goodwill, but I'm sure there are other places like that - resale shops, etc. Check them out if you need something like that. It never registered with me that it didn't have footrests, so check to make sure everything is there. I can make something to fit if I can't get replacements.
Joe C.
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 3:00 PM

Nice find!
Farm Gal
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Ed, We have a thrift store in our town where all profits are donated to charitable organizations in the area.  Everything very nice and clean.  I was in there a few months ago and they had quite a selection of crutches, canes, walkers and even a wheelchair.  All very cheap and for anyone who doesn't want to buy new items this is a perfect place to look.
jb crick
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 11:31 PM

Hospice brought Anne a chair that had everything you could imagine, elevating foot rests, reclining back, removable side rails and more. It was really nice but it was heavy and bulky and hard to maneuver in tight spaces.

I wound up getting a "transport wheelchair". It is small, lightweight, and easily fits in the trunk of a car. I hardly ever used the foot rests, they just collected dust in the garage. And this chair is very maneuverable around the house.

I hope you find your wheelchair useful and can get foot rests if you really need them. Finding replacements can be expensive. I would go back to the store and have the staff check if the rests may have been misplaced,

As an alternative, transport chairs new are around $75-$85 retail. I got mine off craigslist new for $50. Good luck.

Ed1937
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 6:43 AM

Thanks for the post. I'll call the place where I got it to see if they somehow got separated from the chair. I did find a set for $34.00, so even if I have to buy them, it will still be well worth the price paid. The wheelchair itself is in like new condition.
Ed1937
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 4:34 PM

I found footrests only a few blocks from home for $30.00. So I still consider it a good buy. I did call Goodwill, but they didn't have them there.
feudman
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:41 PM

Ed, I can beat your deal: I got my mom's chair (complete with footrests & a "Kangabag") for around $10. at an estate auction.

I'm actually hunting one now. They are hard to come by at the local thrift stores...they have abundant supplies of walkers, potty seats, canes, etc., but wheelchairs are usually reserved for the neediest clients. I've been checking craigslist & other sites for some time now & the asking prices are high (over half the cost of a new one).

For those of you who don't know, most insurance will pay (with a prescription) 80% of the cost of a rental chair billed monthly (and you will be billed for the balance). With some suppliers, if you pay long enough, it will become yours. Hospice supplies them (& all other DME) at no cost.

More wheelchair FYI's: The transport chairs are very lightweight & perfect for around the house & doctor visits, but if you will be taking your LO "out & about" often, or if they will spend most of their day in the chair, you will want one with the big rear wheels (they are the ATV's & more comfy). Chairs come in different widths, so check your doorways (& your LO's "butt size") before shopping. Then there are armrests that come straight out & down or "desk armrests" that enable the chair to slide under a table or countertop. Custom cushions  for the seat & backrest are also available (helpful for preventing decubitus ulcers).

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:59 PM

Feudman, that was quite a deal! The one I bought is rather small, easily fitting through a 32" doorway. No bells and whistles, but perfect for us, since my wife is not a large woman. 

If you are looking for a wheelchair now, I'd suggest signing up to a local freecycle list. If you are not familiar with them, people list things they want to get rid of, or list items wanted. All transactions are free of charge. These are good programs because people can use things we no longer need, and that keeps things out of the dumps.

The Goodwill where I found this one, the lady told me they usually sell for $24.00, and they don't last long because there are so many people looking for them.

× Close Menu