Donate
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (110)
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 10:08 AM

Morning,

Happy December.  Before we know it we'll be welcoming 2020 - unbelievable, but true.  It's a pretty morning here in East Central Oklahoma - sunny but very windy. It's a strong, cold wind, too.  I think it's supposed to be in the mid forties today.

I got out and fed the cats and took down the flag so it wouldn't tear up or break the flagpole.  I hate to take it down because it meant so much to Charles to have it flying but sometimes it's necessary.  I made two or three flags just after 9/11 when they had flag material for sale - even put in the grommets - and the cotton/polyester flags lasted as well as the store-bought ones.

I'm watching Barnwood Builders.  They take down old barns or cabins, save the good wood and make new ones.  It's amazing how the pioneers were able to cut those big trees, make logs and build cabins with the tools they had - and many of them have lasted well over a century. 

I was doing all right until I started watching The PioneerWoman and she was preparing a Christmas meal for the family.  Then, kind of lost it.  I think the reason we get sad around the holidays is that we remember how it used to be, when our parents were here and the whole family gathered together for holidays and family get-togethers.  Now, that's gone, at least for some families.  I remember what mother told me a year or so before she passed away.  It was after daddy had passed away and she'd sit on the front porch in the evenings.  She always said that was the saddest part of the day for her.  She said she'd sit there and think of all the family who had sat on the porch and visited and had a good time.  We'd make homemade ice cream out there and cut and eat watermelons.  Mother had three brothers and from time to time they'd stay here a while and help my parents with the work and crops.  They'd chop cotton or corn in the mornings, come in for lunch, then sit on the front porch a while to rest.  Before they went back to the fields, they'd sharpen their hoes.  I can remember that like it was yesterday.

When I was growing up we didn't have air conditioning and it gets hot here in the summertime.  Many times we'd sleep on pallets on the front porch - it's a long porch so there was room for several of us.  One summer mother and daddy moved their bed out into the yard under a tree.  We didn't think anything about it - everyone was in the same boat and did the same things.  I wouldn't do that now because I'd be afraid of spiders or snakes but we didn't seem to think about that.

So, I've been reminiscing and shedding tears this morning.  Now, all of those people are gone and there's only me here.  After daddy's funeral I told Lorita (my sister) that some day it would be just she and I sitting here on the hill by ourselves.  Now, that isn't even possible - she'd in a MCC and I'm sitting here alone. Really missing my Charles this morning.  I can't remember the details but I dreamed of Charles and Karen last night.  Dreams are good.  My goodness, I have to get outside and be with the dogs and girls for a while.  Gotta get out of this mood - and I will.  Sometimes it just happens for no really apparent reason.  Maybe it's the same with some of you - some days are just harder than others.

I haven't even had breakfast yet, just juice and hot tea so I'm getting hungry.  From the porch I can see most of the girls but probably need to get out and make sure they're all okay.  I'm tired of mud.

Hope all of you are in better spirits than I've been but I know it comes and goes.  I'll be fine after a bit.  The Browns play football at noon so I'll enjoy that.

I probably shouldn't share things like this with all of you but after eleven years a lot of you have become almost like family to me and family members share things.  Hope you don't mind.   I'll be back later.

jdmg1
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 10:32 AM

I am sorry you are feeling blue.  I have been feeling the same way the past couple of days. I am not fond of the changes that are happening with my DH.  He is becoming quite angry with me lately.  I know it is the disease, but it still hurts.  I wish I could bring some sort of happiness to his life.  He says he should just leave here.  He feels I am yelling at him all the time, which simply isn't true.  Again, I know that it is the disease.  So, today I cry with you.  Thank you for sharing your life with us.  I think I will go out now that it has stopped raining and get a breath of fresh are as well.  Will think of you as I attempt to change my outlook.  Be well.
Sayra
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 11:23 AM

Sorry you guys are having teary days.  I have my share too. I am glad also when the holidays are over.  It’s not the same as it use to be.  Try not to show that when I am around my young nephews.  Know they don’t see it that way.  I feel like part of it is because the media portrays it as a very joyful time.  Then some of us feel left out.  Have to remind myself that many are going through rough times or are alone.  

Sunny here today too.  The wind is gentle and suppose to be in low 50s.  Have not been out.  Will have to take the trash out after while.

Heating some leftovers up for lunch.

Hope the fresh air helps jdmg1.  A lady that lives a block or so from me gardens like I do.  I mentioned that I had noticed she was growing okra.  She invited me to look at her garden.  I mentioned that my mom was showing some signs of aging.  She said I am wondering about my husband.  Said he has been quite angry and she said I would never have married someone like that.  Know it has to be hard.  

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 11:24 AM

Looking back....where did it go?

People post all the time "just look back at all of the good times". I am not certain that that is helpful.

So sorry you two are having a blue day. They just fall on us out of the blue except for Holiday time when they seem to hover overhead. What to do? I guess keep busy. I am thinking about putting together a neighborhood cookie exchange. Everyone makes their own cookies and takes them around. No party involved. Oh, wait. I already got Paper White bulbs for everyone. I ordered a lot...the more you order the less they cost and then no shipping.

My mother always started Parer Whites at Thanksgiving so they would be blooming at Christmas. Now they have wonderful strains and a way to use alcohol to keep them from getting leggy.

Lorita, text me your sisters last name and I will visit for you. I will also make a stop at Sarah's. 

The sun is put for  the second day. What a treat!

jdmg1
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 11:36 AM

jfkoc  paper white bulbs threw me for a loop...had no idea what they were! lol  So glad you mentioned that were for planting.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:31 PM

This thread is very educational...lol. Cows, food, Australia, Mexico, food, electronics and did i mention food?
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 2:03 PM

Hi,

jdmg1, sorry you're feeling down, too.  It happens to us, most of the time unexpected.  Hope you can feel better tomorrow.   I'm better - just being out with the girls for a little while works wonders for me.  But, I didn't wear gloves when I was out and my hands were so cold - should have known better.  Girls have left to graze - all at one time, even the babies.  I'll see them again later.

jdmg1, the anger they sometimes show toward us does hurt.  I've dealt with that a few times but Charles' anger would be over in less than five minutes and didn't happen too often - which was more than enough.  I did leave the house for a little while a couple of times.  Guess most of us have dealt with the anger and I think they're frustrated, too.

Judith, I love paper whites.  I used to make a pot of them in the winter but with the two cats can't do that anymore - they're too curious.  Also used to like to have an Amaryllis but can't do that either - guess I'll just enjoy the red holly berries.   How sweet of you to give paper whites to the neighbors.  How are your caladium bulbs doing?  Did you put them in peat moss or paper sacks?  I'll be very interested to see how they overwinter and do in the spring.  I'm ready for spring already.

Sarah, it does sound like your neighbor's husband is not doing too well.  Maybe it's just the change of seasons.  Maybe next spring the two of you can exchange vegetables you grow.  Have you ever grown eggplants?   I love them and they're so pretty to grow.  They actually have a small, white one, shaped like an egg.  We grew that kind, the regular, big kind and one called Ichiban that was about the same size the whole length of it.  Used to make stuffed eggplant quite often.

Judith, we do learn all kinds of things - good recipes included.  Thank you so much for the offer - I've texted her last name - I know she'll be glad to have a visitor.  I talk to the nurse, Lalani, quite often about her condition so will be interested to see what you think. 

I agree, it is great to have a sunny day and looks like we'll have two or three more.  I want to get into town one of those days for a couple of new water tanks and a couple of mineral tubs.  The wife of our good neighbor called last night - she said he is slowing down and seems to be getting weaker.  Really hate to hear that - he's about three years older than I am and I can tell I'm slowing down, too.  Guess that comes with the territory - or age.  Good thing the walls are closeby when I first get out of bed because my back really hurts until I walk a few steps.  And walking in the tall grass and mud doesn't help the knees either - thank goodness for the CW and Gator - and the girls are getting used to the Gator now - at first they thought it was for feeding.

Back to the ballgame - Steelers are ahead by a TD.

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 2:59 PM

Eggplants are beautiful.  Makes me want to try them.  Have heard several people say they don’t like them so has made me leery  to try them.  What  did you stuff them with?

So far I am not even in the mood to buy a poinsettia.  Paper whites and amaryllis are pretty but I am just more of an outdoors person with plants.  Think the amaryllis bulb itself is pretty too, how it sits in the pot.  

LOL right after I said it had been pretty all day it got dark and rained.  Oh well

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 3:49 PM

Sara - hadn't thought of poinsettias in a while.  Years ago there was a huge nursery with a greenhouse completely filled with tables of poinsettias in the town where I worked.  There were so many you could be overwhelmed and not know which to buy.  There's a pretty one that's kind of peach colored that's beautiful.  Also like the one called Jingle Bells - dark pink or red with white dots on the petals.  Can't have them now because of the cats but that's okay, rather have them.

Eggplants can be bitter but if you slice them you can sprinkle them with salt and let them set for a few minutes, then rub or rinse it off.  I think, if I remember correctly, that we cut them in half, longways, then cut the center of them (like you do a mango) and spooned the insides out.  I cooked onion with a little belle pepper and the eggplant pieces together until they were almost done, mixed it with cooked rice, then spooned it into the eggplant shell and topped it with grated cheese.  Then, we baked them for a while.  If I remember right, that's how we cooked them but it's been a long, long time.  I also like them fried, peeled first.  Patsy says WM has frozen eggplant parmesan that's cooked with a red sauce that's very good.  Haven't tried it.

Sorry it's raining there - it's still sunny here but cold.  GPs have stayed out all day since noon.  In about half an hour I'll go back out and see if all the girls are okay. 

I had waffles this morning for breakfast and Sheena had bites of it.  I've had her for almost four years (she'll be five January 23).  When I got her she wouldn't eat one bite of junk food  - now she's a junk food junkie.  I can't believe that she'll be that old and Stormy will be four in March.  The reason I thought about the waffles is they're showing waffles and fried chicken (can't understand that) - is it like a sandwich?)

Browns lost by a TD.  Drats.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 11:41 AM

Hi,

Cold and sunny this morning.  There was a light film of ice over the water tanks and the ground was partially frozen but not enough to keep from breaking through when you walked on it.

Nothing going on here this morning.  Patsy called and we had a long visit - didn't talk over the weekend - she'd let both of her phones run down.  I have a slight headache so just took an allergy pill.  Our ophthalmologist is going out of business, we think, the end of this month so I'll be referred to an optometrist.  I'm thinking of making an appointment with him, if I can, during this month.  Not sure if he's making appointments or not.  The place where he and so many other doctors have done procedures has been sold so don't know where they'll do their work now - maybe Tahlequah.  My ophthalmologist and three other doctors tried to buy the surgery center but the deal fell through.  Seems like several doctors are moving to other towns.  Hate when things like that happens.

Saw most of the girls this morning - Sally did come in for her feed and I saw the two little ones.  Didn't even take down the trash this morning - only had a big sack and a small one so just didn't.

Hope all's well with all of you this morning.

Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 2:15 PM

Eggplant can be very bitter; usually worse with older ones that get “pithy” and a little soft. Salting does help. Lots of people fry eggplant, but I’m not a big fan, it soaks up oil like a sponge, bigtime!

Eggplant slice are good, IMO, broiled or grilled. They get a little brown. The smaller/fresher/ firmer the eggplant, the better. The big ones we get in groceries are more likely to have the bitter tiny seeds, and be pithy.

But (definitely IMO ) eggplant is best as a vehicle—often tomato sauces or slices, and cheese—or, as Lorita mentioned, in a Parmesan, where it works much the same as pasta.

Eggplant over. Sorry.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 2:51 PM

Rescue Mom - thanks for the additional information.  I haven't cooked eggplant in quite some time - in our little store haven't even seen them.  They're probably an acquired taste. I had forgotten about the older ones being spongy or pithy and with pretty big seeds.  We had a little friend, much older, years ago who made a casserole with eggplant and it was really good.  But, I don't have the recipe.  I'm going to look for one next time I go to the store.  They really make a pretty plant with the big, purple eggplants on them - and the white ones, too.

I've been delving back into our pickup's history.  A couple of weeks ago when I got gas I pushed the trip odometer to get it back to zero so I'd know how far I've driven it so I wouldn't run out of gas.  Remember earlier this year the gas gauge showed it was a quarter full and I ran out of gas.  Now, it never moves off full.  When I looked again at the odometer there were no numbers.  The sticker said oil needed to be changed at 67,700 miles - I know there's not that many on it.  So, I've called the two places I've had work done on it and finally found the oil was changed in April 2017. Both guys said they recommend an oil change every 5,000 miles and if it's not driven much on the highway the time line doesn't matter.  Anyway, next time I'm in town he said they could figure out what happened with the odometer and I might have it changed when I have it serviced - all at one time.   Also going to have the car battery (bought this summer) checked.  It's still under warranty.  I jumped it with the Halo a few days ago and let it run about 15 minutes- tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't start so... Seems like there's always something.  I told Charles once that if we had five vehicles there would be a time when none of them worked.

Made an appointment with my ophthalmologist to have him check my eyes one last time before he retires at the end of this month.  Patsy said Jack has an appointment with him next week - mine's Monday.  Would be nice if we might be there at the same time.  It's really going to leave a lot of people in the lurch when he retires - no other ophthalmologist in town.

Not feeling quite up to par today so haven't done anything except sit in my chair - did doze off a couple of times, almost broke my neck.  I did go out and put a new quick connect on the water hose by the water tank in the garden.  Was going to fill it but it was more than half full.  It's still pretty chilly, but sunny.  The GPs are soaking up the sun.  Stormy heard me outside and came to check but didn't want to come in.  This morning when I was outside about 7:30 I heard wolves howling west of here, I think.  Don't normally hear them that time of day. 

Hope all of you way up north and in the NE are doing all right with all the snow.  It looks really bad.  Patsy said her daughter who lives in California and her husband were going to go to Tahoe to spend Thanksgiving with her daughter but the roads were closed.  I heard they have several feet of snow in the mountains out there.  I've never had the nerve to watch the movie about the group of people who were stranded because of snow.  How awful that must have been.

Later.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 4:03 PM

Cold bitter day.  Rain and snow mix most of day.  A light dusting on trees and roads just wet.  

Got mom’s groceries and bought myself some material.  Going to try and make a dress.  I saw someone on a you tube channel wearing it and she mentioned she made it.  I found the pattern.  Found a good sale so didn’t have to put much money into material.  Going to take my time with it and hopefully will turn out nice and fit right.  We will see.  If it doesn’t work out won’t have lost too much.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 7:55 PM

Back again,

Sara - glad you're not getting much snow.  On the news it looked like Mass. was really getting hit hard.   I used to love snow but the older I get, the less I like it.  I do love to see the pretty, big flakes though.

Have you ever sewed  much , Sara?  Just take your time and follow the instructions in the pattern and you'll be fine.    Sewing just to be very relaxing for me - I don't think it would be now.  When I started working all the women sewed.  We would stop by the fabric store on the way home, get fabric and all the other things, go home and make the garment and wear it to work the next day.  Back then, fabric was inexpensive as were the patterns, zippers and buttons - not so today.  Do you remember the fabric they called double knit - back in the late 60s and early 70s?  It was beautiful and so easy to sew.  It didn't wrinkle, washed good, never faded, sewed so easily and had the most beautiful patterns in the material.  I made my wedding dress from it - looked like crushed ice.  Still have it but for sure couldn't get into it now.  I made a yellow one once (used to be my favorite color when I had dark hair) and it had the prettiest swirly patterns in it.  Even made a brown and yellow scarf to wear with it.  I wonder where all those clothes went.

With all the talk about eggplants, guess what was in the grocery ad this week for the store where I buy groceries?  eggplants for 99 cents a pound.  I was wondering today if you could slice and bread them and cook them in the NuWave Oven or air fryer - bet you could.  May try that.

My costochondritis is getting me fits tonight - don't remember lifting anything except - I went to the mailbox late this afternoon and the coat I ordered was there.  It's very heavy so that may be what caused it.  If I wear it this winter I won't need heavy clothes underneath it. 

Stormy and Sheena stayed outside most of the day but came in just after dark and are in the bedroom, sound asleep.  I didn't get out to check the girls late today so I'll worry until I see them in the morning.  Did see three little guys coming down to eat creepfeed.

I'll stop for tonight - hope you all sleep well.   Did talk with Sarah a while - she sounds good and is anxious to get home Thursday - sounds like the plans are coming together but she'll still be alone 90% of the time.  Forgot to call the social worker today but will tomorrow.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:45 AM

Hope your eggplant turns out tasty.

Havey sewed some.  The biggest issue I’ve had with dresses is fit.  It is a burka pattern which I’ve never used before and they are different.    Have all my measurements.  Think I will try a size  14.  In real life usually wear a 10 but patterns are so different.  Sewing also makes my back hurt so will limit how much I do each day.

Taking mom her groceries today.  Hopefully will remember to change her fire alarm batteries.  Meant to do that last week.  She bought a ham because she got a free knife.  She didn’t need a knife.  Now she wants me to take half of it.  Hope it has good flavor and will freeze well.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:40 PM

Looks like it has been a quiet day here.  Hope everyone is just taking it easy.  Got mom’s groceries delivered.  Mom gave me half of her ham, it’s fairly small so not overwhelming.  It actually tastes pretty good too.
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:57 PM

Hi,

Sara, glad you got your mom's groceries delivered and that the ham isn't too big - good for ham and cheese sandwiches, breakfast, etc.  

It's been a pretty day here.  This morning my right forehead over my eye and below my eye was hurting - has been for a week or so.  So, called my eye clinic and got an appt. for 12:15.  I had called last week and had an appt. next Monday.  Got there early and several people came in to be seen -  mostly around my age.  Pressure was 20, OU which is a point or two higher than it was last time - he said it was 19 and 20 last January so no worry there.  Laser holes were open so he decided to do some testing - to rule out tempero arteritis.  Had lab work which should be back tomorrow - after that, don't know.  I had lab work a couple of months ago and it was normal but didn't have a sed rate or CRP.  I have a little bruise where the blood was drawn. 

My doctor said he'd be 71 in three months and was in reality being forced into retirement.  The big company who owns the building where most of the doctors in town do their procedures came in a few weeks ago and said they were closing it in five weeks because they weren't making enough money to pay the bills.  So, a 2 million dollar building will sit empty - it seems to be happening all over Muskogee.  He's been in practice there for 38 years - I bet he's done everyone's cataract extractions in this part of the state - both of my parents, Charles, and so many friends.  The only other ophthalmologist in town is in Triad - he says he's been there about five years and is really good.  He said I have "sick" eyes and need to see a physician so guess I'll go there.  I do wish there was some way he could stay in practice and I could tell from the way he talked that he does, too.    I'm thinking this discomfort I'm feeling is probably my sinuses and dry eyes.  I used ointment last night but it's really hard to get into the eye.

When I was getting into the edge of town I noticed they were working on the southbound lane and traffic was really backed up.  I decided to come home a different way - a way I often came home from work.  Kind of nice to go that way again - hadn't in a long time - there's about 15 miles of dirt road, maybe more but pretty, rolling hills and lots of cattle.  I passed a couple of herds right by the road.  Lots of little ones so I stopped and talked to them (I'm probably nuts - Charles and I used to do the same thing). One herd was standing in a big group by the fence and bawled and bawled when I went by.  I'm sure they were waiting for hay and thought I was bringing it.  Their pasture was slick and so were others I saw.  Guess we're lucky that we still have so much grass and lots of it's still green.  The roads are pretty washed out from all the rain and there's lots of water - over the road in a few places and the ditches were full.  Glad to be home.

I called Sarah's case worker to talk with her about discharge plans.  I still wasn't on the HIPPA form so she went back to talk to Sarah - called me back and Sarah had told her she'd prefer that I go through her.  So, I'll let her talk to them about plans.  Judith, now I know who did the same thing to you a few years back when you called to help.  Remember?

I saw the girls as I came up the road - scattered out but I'll get out and see them after a bit.  I saw all of them this morning and all was okay - I'm pretty compulsive about seeing them twice daily - not much else to do so I have time. 

UPS came about an hour after I got home bringing cat and dog food.  Stormy can hear his truck half a mile away.  I told him they were in the house and he said he heard them barking - they're asleep now.

Hope all is well with everyone.  It's been a pretty day but still pretty cool.  Had planned to go by and get a couple of mineral tubs but came home the wrong way to avoid traffic jams.

Back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:52 PM

I do remember. I can not understand why she would refuse help but there must be  stuff she simply does not want people to know. That could be the reason why she never called me. Oh, well. You have done your best. Try to let it go.

One more load of dirt for the backyard and all will be flat. Still thinking of a screened porch.

I grew up w/o air conditioning in Chicago and a heat wave was something serious if infrequent. Sleeping arrangements were modified but never to outside. We had a huge fan that sucked in night air that worked pretty well but I do not remember small fans. Surely they had been invented.

I stumbled onto a very interesting TV program over the week end about the role food played in the depression and both wars. I could not turn it off. I have been online looking for it and will post if I find it.

Found it...the food that built america...History chanel produced but that is not where I saw it. There are 3 episodes and I saw the third.

https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america?newexp=true

ronald71111
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:37 AM

Good morning all! Had to share what a perfect day yesterday was! No sundowners, no complaints and the best time since 5 years ago when she broke her hip. Talked a lot, laughed, joked and she even apologized for when she gave me a hard time. I assured her everything was ok and I understood that at times what she says and does is really not how she feels. Hope I have more days like this but will keep yesterday in my mind for a long time.

Tommorow appointment in community care with pulmonary Dr. Monday with dermatologist and Tuesday with community care radiologist for barium swallow . Still waiting on 24 hour lpr ph study. 

38 degrees right now but suppose to be highs in the middle 60s for rest of this week.

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:15 AM

Mid 60s sounds nice.  

Lorita you’ve tried.  Now probably the best thing is just to listen and try the best you can to not worry about it.  It’s her choice and even though she probably would like help on one level she probably also doesn’t like losing control to do what she likes to do.  This could be why she rejects other people’s involvement and placement.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:16 AM

Morning,

Looks like it's going to be a gorgeous day - bright sunshine, little wind and warm.  It's chilly out now but not bad.  I need to get into town today to have the PU serviced and get a couple of blue mineral tubs and maybe a new water tank for the lot.  Hate to have to get ready to go - I'm getting to be a real homebody.

You all are right - I'll back off and let her do her own planning with the social worker.  But, guess you all also know I'm not too good at doing that.  She's middle aged and of sound mind so I'll let her do it.  I can't imagine what she wouldn't want me to know.  I just wanted to be sure all bases were covered as best they could be.

Ron, so happy that yesterday was great for you and Lou.  Cherish those days with every fiber of your being - and I know you do.  There will always be lucid days or moments.  I always think of the movie "Folks" with Tom Selleck . It was such a good show  - his dad had Alz. and had lucid moments.  If you all get the chance, watch it - really good.

Judith, I'd ask her if she'd called you and she'd always say she was going to.  Don't know why she didn't.     I bet that show was interesting - I'll look into finding it. 

I ordered another humidifier - the big one I bought a couple of years ago quit working so found the cutest, small one on Amazon - it came yesterday and I used it last night and it seemed to help.  The temporal arteritis my doctor is testing for was kind of featured on Doc Martin a few weeks ago - Ruth had it.  Anxious to see what the blood work showed.  I'm still thinking it may be sinusitis.  I had really bad sinusitis many years ago and in the mornings I'd awaken with a headache.  I'd wet a washcloth in water as hot as I could stand, fold it and hold it on my forehead until it cooled.  It seemed to help so I did that this morning.  Just feels like there's something in the corner of my eye that makes it feel too full.   I so wish the doctor wouldn't retire but he said he's being forced to because there's no place to do his surgeries. 

One day before long I'm going to have to jump the car battery and get it into town to be checked.  The owner of the store where I got it said it's still under warranty so it can be replaced.  I know we've let vehicles set for weeks without using them and they would still start - may be something in the car that's causing it.  Always something.

Sara - when I was doing all my sewing I used mostly Simplicity patterns and occasionally Vogue.  I've never heard of the one you mentioned.  If you had a dress form, fit would be easier.  I had one that I used some of the time but we left it in the storage building at the MH and when someone broke in, they took it.  I've seen them on American Pickers and they're worth a lot now - at least the older ones.  Good luck on your dress.

Hope you all have a really good day.  It's still muddy here.  We've had over 60" of rain this year and our normal is around 40" - at least we're going into winter with full ponds.  Need to fill the garden water tank later today.  Girls are already up around MH and on the other side of the pond.  They get going early.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:17 AM

A dress form would be great.  I feel they cost more than I might get out of it.  Maybe I will run into one at an estate sale or thrift store.  You never know.

My sinuses have been an issue lately too.  What helps me a lot is sort of like what you did.  I boil am Small amount of water and inhale the steam for about five minutes.  Do it several times a day.

Gray day but no precipitation yet.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:22 PM

Sara, hope you can find a dress form somewhere - it would help.  I have no idea how much one costs.  I do wish I was the size I was when I used one.

Sinusitis can really cause problems.  My head doesn't hurt as much today - corner of my eye just feels a little too full but I think the doctor would have seen something if it had been in there.  I do have a droopy eyelid on that eye so maybe that has something to do with it.   I bet the warm steam does help a lot. The mist from the humidifier is cool so that probably wouldn't work.

I'm waiting on UPS to come - they're supposed to bring the pears and catfood.  I leave the GPs outside when I leave if the weather's good and I don't think Jason would come into the yard if I wasn't out there.  I usually keep the GPs inside if I know someone's coming.  And, I want him to bring the cases of catfood to the porch because they're heavy.  So, I don't know if I'll get into town today or not.  Tomorrow's supposed to be pretty, too.  It's a perfect day and the girls are taking advantage of it.  I just filled the water tank in the garden - the water looks a little rusty and I don't like that but guess it won't hurt them if they drink it.  A rubber or heavy vinyl tank would take care of that.

I turned on the news and weather to see what it's going to be like tomorrow but the impeachment stuff's on.

Called Sarah -  no answer so left a message for her to call if she wanted to.  She may be in therapy.  I talked with the occupational therapist for my sister and he said she was discharged from the therapy two weeks ago because she was back to what she was before the fall.  Glad of that.

Last night our weatherman was talking about how much rain we'd had this past year.  Even with all of that, the far SW corner of our state and part of the western part is in drought.  Hard to believe.  Some of the lakes are still above normal.

Back later.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:23 AM

Morning,

Made the trip to town all right.  Took a bit longer than I had hoped.  They weren't able to get the odometer to work - but did change the oil and check other things - hoses, antifreeze, etc.  When I left I noticed the reading on the trip odometer read something over 66,000 miles - the reading that should have been on the total odometer and the reading on the trip one was gone, of course.  So, whatever happened the mileage is there.  I'll have to figure out a way to keep track of the mileage so I won't run out of gas again.  Probably have to keep a ongoing list of mileage.  I sent back a parka I'd ordered that was too big, got a couple of mineral tubs and one water tank and headed home.  Didn't even stop for groceries - barely had time to see the girls before dark.  I really didn't need anything at the store anyway.  I'll get that when I go back for feed.

I overslept this morning - was having the nicest dream  - of Charles.  You all who have lost your loved one know the warm, fuzzy feeling when you're dreaming of them and you think it's real.  Hurts like all get-out when you wake up and realize it's a dream - because it's so real.  Isn't it odd, though, that you can't remember much about the dream, just bits and pieces.  I'm glad we're able to have those occasional dreams/times when we're with them.

Drove out in the CW to see the girls - they were scattered - about 17 were across on the other side of the smaller pond but I was able to make it across the overflow without getting stuck.  Everyone seems to be okay.  Two big calves were in the feeder so got them out so Little Bit and Sadie could go in if they wanted to.  Sally came up for her feed so left her to eat while I checked everyone.  When I got back she was down the road from the house eating green grass - so let her eat it as long as she wanted too, then went back into the pasture.   I'll put out the mineral tubs a little later and decide where I'm going to put the water tank.  I got one 110 gallon one.  Need to check to see if the one in the garden is holding water or leaking.  Anyway, there wasn't enough room for two in the PU bed.

The pears are big and pretty but not ripe enough yet.  Patsy called and I asked if UPS had visited her yesterday.  They were gone part of the day so she didn't think so - but did find the box.  She loves pears so I know she'll like these. 

Well, today's the day Sarah goes home as far as I know.  I haven't talked with her in a couple of days.  I've left messages with no return call so I'll let it go.  She can call if she wants to.  I do hope she'll be able to be at home and do all right.

I really like the humidifier and it's very quiet - even has a blue night light if you want to use it - I don't.  I have a slight headache this morning so took the allergy pill and will see what happens.  I overslept.  For some reason I had set the alarm for 11:25 yesterday morning - probably when I was filling the water tank so it wouldn't overflow - so it was after 7 when I woke up.  The GPs went outside but are back in now, in the bedroom, asleep. 

Hope all of you are well this morning.  Sara, good luck on making that dress.  Sometimes I think I'd like to sew something but don't know how to thread the machine I have.  Years ago I had a universal that I really liked but it wore out.  We had bought this one at an antique sale, just for the cabinet, and it was threaded.  I used it for a while but somehow it got unthreaded.  Guess I could look it up on the internet - but probably won't.

The weatherman just said it was 15 degrees warmer this morning than yesterday.  I wore my fleece jacket and hat and was very comfortable. 

I don't think I've mentioned it but Patsy has something wrong with one of her eyes - something to do with the macula and retina.  She saw her optometrist a couple of weeks ago and she found it.  She's been having eye pain yesterday and part of the day before - to take care of it a retinal ophthalmologist (didn't know of such a thing) would have to peel the back of the eye.  Sounds awful and she told the doctor she would not have it done.  I hope it's better today.

So, with all of that I'll get off and give someone else a chance.  Hope the day is good for all of you.  Maybe I'll get my lab report today. 

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:40 AM

Just saw something cute, interesting, on TV and reminded me of something.  Somewhere in New Mexico, along I-40, someone had made a huge snowman out of tumble weeds - just using the weeds for the body,  and other things for the hat, buttons, etc.  It reminded me that many years ago one of our social workers made a trip during December out to the Four Corners area.  They stopped along the way and brought back some tumbleweeds to use for Christmas trees.  Interesting, I thought.   

When I was growing up, we always had a Christmas tree - but not one bought in town or an artificial one.  There was a neighbor south of us who had cedars (Eastern Red) on his land and he'd let daddy cut one for our tree.  After we moved to our MH Charles and I made a windbreak on the north side with cedar trees - so, now we have cedars but I have no desire for a tree anymore.  Times and things change as we grow older and deal with the fortunes and misfortunes of life.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:03 AM

Good to hear from you this morning Lorita.  The sun is shining.  They are giving very cold weather this time next week so think I will go out today and buy some meat so won’t need to do it when it is so cold.  Will get gas today too.  My dad always said don’t let your tank get below half when it’s real cold so I try to do that. 

Just ok a turkey pot pie out of oven.  Hope it’s good.  I put biscuits on top.

My machine is a Bernina.  It is a more simple one but I like it.

Talk to you later

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:50 AM

Sara,

I used to love turkey pot pies - ate lots of them.  I've never made one but could probably find a recipe and make a vegetable pot pie - sounds good.  I ordered four little loaf pans from QVC - Temptations - so I could make a couple in those and freeze one.  What do you put in your pot pies?

I'm also thinking about the cold weather.  It was cloudy here this morning but by 10:30 it was bright and sunny but the wind's blowing pretty hard.  Will get out after noon and put out the mineral tubs and the water tank - think I'll put it in the garden.  If the metal one will hold water I'll fill both of them and just use mineral tubs (empty) in the lot.  The mineral tubs weigh 200 lbs. so I can push them to the edge of the tailgate, get out and pull them off and, hopefully, they'll land rightside up so I don't have to turn them over.  Not sure how heavy the water tank is - two young men were carrying it.  There's plenty of creepfeed in the feeder so won't have to get that until the latter part of next week.

I would like to get into town in the next couple of days and get the battery and systems checked on the car so the car will start even if not started in a few days.  I'll get groceries then (if I can make myself go).  I don't want to get out when it's really cold either.

I guess I'll start feeding the girls in a couple of weeks even though they have lots of grass and quite a lot of green grass.  It was fun to watch Sally pull and munch on the green grass this morning.  I could watch a cow eat grass for an hour.  Interesting how they don't take everything when they graze - so they can come back later and more will be there - (my assumption).

I had a call this morning about 9 from the Eye Clinic.  My Sed Rate was normal but the C-reactive protein was a bit elevated which could mean I have a little inflammation somewhere.  They'll send me a copy of the report and also send one to my PCP.  She said to call him (will do that Monday, he's only open til noon on Fridays) to see if he wants me to come in.  I have an appointment mid January for lab work.  I checked and had a C-reactive protein a few months ago which was normal.  I'm using the humidifier in the LR today, took my allergy pill and used the hot washcloth on my forehead for a while.

Sara, I have my mother's old, probably antique, Singer sewing machine.  I learned how to sew on it and the treddle machines at school.  The Singer is still in it's wooden case, way back in the closet.  I look at things I've sewed here in the house - curtains, slip covers, cushions, etc. and just wouldn't have the initiative to do things like that again.  Nice to be young and eager to do things.   I can't even get the dishes done a lot of the time.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:51 PM

Mom and my aunts had those treadle singer machines.  Don’t know what happened to them.  I like my machine. Can pack it up and take it anywhere.  Lorita I just cut up my veggies. Cooked them in broth.  Thickened them with a little cornstarch.  Put it in a dish.  Topped them with biscuits. Baked tIl biscuit done.  Forgot to put my meat in lol.

Got out and got my meat, some honey, pickled beets and gas.  Thought I was good to go.  Just after got home my sister texted me wanting me to get her something.  So guess I will get back out tomorrow and do that.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:46 PM

That easy?  I have some leftover turkey...I can do that. Is Argo corn starch? Do you mix it in straight or do you add a bit to the liquid in a small dish? Do you smuch the biscuits so they are thin or separate the layers?
Hpilot
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Good evening everyone.  I have been very lazy this month and haven't signed in to post. I do read and get caught up. 

It was interesting, Lorita, that you woke up late this morning, had a headache and took an allergy pill.  I forgot to set my alarm too, and usually that isn't a problem because my cats are on the prowl every morning about 15 mins before alarm goes off. Either they didn't jump on me or try to knock the tv over., which is very unlike them to not get me up. Yea, I have one that likes to paw the screen of the tv when it is on, which it usually is, as I can't sleep in dead silence. At any rate, I woke up an hour late, fed the cats and turned on coffee pot, when I felt a headache coming on.  I took my zyrtec allergy pill and felt better in about an hour.  I hate waking up late, as I am a very routine person. Also, I can't jump up and go outside, I must have an hour to drink my coffee, check my computer, the weather, let dogs out, feed dogs, etc. before I venture to the barn. I dislike making the horses wait that extra hour, but they survived and greeted me with ears pinned back, with snarky looks, letting me know I was late!!

I hope Sarah does ok too. I know you worry a lot about her.

It was sunny today after a few days of rain, showers and cloudiness.  It was cold  and windy though. At least felt colder than 45. It got up to 50 or so, but never felt any warmer to me.  Supposed to get more rain next week, several days of it. I dread that. My horses are so bored. I don't have the grass that I had on my other farm, so I have to keep hay in front of them and that gets expensive.  I had a round bale brought over, but they ate it all in a couple of weeks. Now I can't find any. We are suffering a hay shortage here. Even if I could get one, my front paddock at the gate that they need to come in to deliver it, is MUDDY.  I hate mud.  I just hope my hay supply lasts until I can get another delivery. My truck is in need of repair and the inspection sticker is out of date, so I have to rely on my car to go to feed store. It is an SUV, but I can't get hay in it. I may have to get a tow truck to get come get my truck and work on it.  As we say, always something.

I went out to Thanksgiving dinner to a restaurant with my daughter and twin granddaughters and one of their friends. It was nice not to worry about cooking and cleanup.  I don't think I will put up a Christmas tree either. All my decorations got left with the ex and don't want to buy all that stuff just for me, the cats and dogs..... I'll put a wreath on the front door and call it at that.  I'll sign off for now....take care.

toni2
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 6:28 PM

Hi everyone, I have been laid up for a while. When I had been lifting Ken I hurt my back and I thought it had gotten better but a little over 2 weeks ago I twisted the wrong way when I was cleaning the walks and I got sciatic nerve pain that went all the way done my leg into my ankle. I could hardly walk. Today I went to the doctor and he said that was what I had. He gave me medicine and said he would see me in 2 weeks. If I'm not better I have to have an MRI done. 

I'm sorry so many of you have been sad. I know how that is.The 26th would have been our 64th wedding anniversary. Our oldest daughter had me over for the day. I made it for a little while and then came home because of the pain I was in.

We have been having a lot of ice now. I had to clean off the front walk again this morning. I only did enough so I could get out.

Take care. I think of you often.

Toni

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:07 PM

Argo cornstarch will be fine.  I made a small dish and mixed a 1T of cornstarch with  1T water then added it to dish.  Do when veggies are done as will thicken pretty quick.  I used whole biscuits.  Made mine from scratch and just dropped them on.  Canned biscuits should work fine. Enjoy.

Nice to hear from everyone.  Toni hope you get straightened out.  That is no fun , 

Not a fan of mud either.  Like it less than I like snow lol.

Goodnight

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:35 PM

Hi,

Just checked in and saw the posts from a couple of our friends who have been somewhat MIA.  Glad to see posts from both of you - Toni and Joan.

Toni, so sorry you've hurt your back.  When it's hurt seems like it takes forever to get better; then every little thing you do can hurt it over.  I'm having that trouble with my strained muscles in my side.  Invariably I'll lift and twist even though I know I shouldn't.  Take care of it and, hopefully, it'll be better soon.  You said you were clearing off your walkway of the ice - be so careful doing that.  You can fall and be down before you know what's happened.  I know those anniversaries are hard - 64 years is a long time to be with one person.  Glad you had company on that day.

Joan - so glad to hear from you, too.  I hate mud, too, just like all of you and we've had mud for so long - just gets dry enough to kind of get around, then more rain.  I heard on the news this evening that somewhere just north of us, in Oklahoma, has had 80" of rain this year - our normal is around 40" - just too much.  There are many places in the pasture I wouldn't even drive the Gator.  This morning I did go across some pond runoff with the CW but it was muddy - drove halfway up the pond dump.  But, still, it's better than being in an awful drought.  Been through that, too.

Don't you hate to wake up late, Joan?   I know I do - I never seem to get caught up.  I usually feed the inside cats, take a drink or two of juice, then get outside to feed Tom and Jerry (cats) and put feed in the pan for Sally who is usually waiting at the gate.  She's really got that down pat.  After that I usually drive out in the pastures to see the girls if I can't see them from the porch.  They get out before daylight so usually have to drive or walk to see them.

Sorry you're having a hay shortage.  We went through that a few years ago - maybe ten.  We had sold our leftover hay because we thought the meadow was going to make good - then, we went into a drought and it didn't make as much as we thought.  Finally, the woman who used to do my hair gave us the name of a trucker who hauled hay.  Got in touch with him and he was hauling from Guymon (Oklahoma Panhandle).  We bought a semi load at $70. a bale.  It was really good hay but expensive.  Since that time we never have sold all of the hay.  You never know what the next year will bring.  I bought some small bales last year to put in the barn and I think they were $8 a bale.  There's lots of hay around here this year so it's cheaper.  Lots of it is still on the meadows - been too wet to haul it out.  It was so wet we couldn't get into our meadow for the second cutting this year.

I'm so enjoying the metal hoses - bought another 50 ft. one.  I ordered a 25 ft. but it had a vinyl hose inside it and just didn't work right - wouldn't coil like I wanted it to so sent it back.  It's so nice to have light weight ones that coil good - I bought a couple of hose hangers that I have hanging on the pipe fence and one on the yard fence and just coil the hose up after use.  It won't be nearly the trouble to bring them inside this winter either.  I think the garden hydrant is going to have to be replaced - hope I can make it until spring though.

I spent an hour or so outside this afternoon (weather was beautiful today - 70 degrees but windy.  I pulled the two 200 lb. mineral tubs out of the back of the pickup and took the new water tank out to the garden.  I leveled the one in the lot and filled it and tomorrow will level the new, rubber one and fill it.  If I can keep two of them filled in the garden, I won't have to fill them every day.  It's amazing how much water a cow or calf can drink. 

I did talk with Sarah for a minute or so around noon.  She was on her way home and was excited.  Hope she makes it all right at home.  She said she had things all worked out. 

My eye has felt better today - been using the humidifier the last two nights and all day today.  I bet/hope  it's  just my sinuses.  Patsy has something wrong with one of her eyes - something to do with the macula and retina and has been having pretty bad pain in it the last couple of days.  I told her she should see our ophthalmologist before he retires the end of this month. What a loss to Muskogee his retirement will be and also the Surgery Center. 

Sara, do you all have an Atwoods where you live?  Patsy says they have the best pickled beets she's ever eaten - Amish, I think.  I've never tried them - should have looked for them when I was in there yesterday.  We used to make pickled beets and I loved them.  Hope yours are good.

Judith - it does sound easy, doesn't it?   I think I'll make a vegetable pot pie with carrots, onions, peas and potatoes.  My vegetable broth had expired and our little grocery store doesn't have vegetable broth so will have to figure that out - guess I could make my own - did it when I had diverticulitis.  I have a couple of frozen pie crusts so may use that for the crusts - top and bottom, maybe.  I bet puff pastry would work well, too, but maybe not phyllo dough, probably too thin.  I think your liquid is supposed to be boiling when you put in the slurry so it'll thicken quickly.  I still have to make that apple crisp, too.

I shampooed my hair this afternoon and it looks like I have enough hair for two people - just because it's frizzy though.  It seems to be quite a lot thinner than it was a couple of years ago - even though I've been taking Biotin (when I remember) for the last year.  Judith, did you get the hot curlers and do they help?  Right after we talked about them I got a little catalog from Haband, I think, and they had them for $8.  Wonder why they would produce more volume than regular rollers?

I'm about ready for bed - hope you all sleep well.  Supposed to be quite a lot cooler tomorrow.

Sandymac
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 4:58 AM

Ohhh Wow....MUD.  How I would love to be paddling in mud.   Still no rain here and fires are up and down the coast.  Think there’s about 100 different ones at the moment, and so many of them are out of control.  The poor firies just can’t get them under control.  There is one very close to us at the moment, won’t come to us , fingers crossed ,but we are getting burnt leaves and ash on our lawns and roads drifting across from it.  The people in the area have been evacuated, and the gully below where my daughter used to live is now burning.  So very sad!   We have been breathing in smoke for the last week, and those with asthma are having a dreadful time.  We’ve had an amazing lot of help from everywhere, some NZ firemen and Canadian. That I know of, possibly more from elsewhere.  

I’m away for the weekend.  Have gone to Canberra to catch up with some of the people I met at the last motor home group meeting.  We were supposed to spend 4 days together, but many were worried about smoke, so decided not to come, but the organiser suggested we meet for lunch tomorrow, and, as I’d planned on being away anyway, I came.  A long way to go for lunch, but, what the heck!

Cher’s....Sandra 

Sayra
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 5:51 AM

Sandra I imagine you would enjoy the mud.  Have never been through anything like that.

We don’t have Atwood’s.  We do have an Amish community here and a very large Mennonite community.  I do buy their pickled beets.  So much better than store brand.  They taste like the pickled beets my mom made.  My mom was a good cook in her day.  My aunts and grandmas were good cooks too.  Some of my male relatives were good butcherers (is that a word)?  Guess that is who I get it from.  Only have one niece and I am not around her enough to know about her cooking.  I know she cooks some because she gave me a recipe once and I gave her one that she asked for.  My one nephew cooks quite a bit and the other one a little.  

Hope all have a peaceful day

× Close Menu