RSS Feed Print
foooooood
jdmg1
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:54 PM

Dinners are evil.  I love cooking.  I used to have a catering company.  So, I really love cooking. lol  DH is having issues with food and has cut out 75% of the foods he used to love to eat.  My son has decided to become a vegan.  I no longer like cooking, but I need food.  lol  I just ordered from door dash!  What a crazy life.
Rick4407
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:09 PM

The changes that this disease has brought to my life in the last 3 years are astounding.  Meals are a big one but meaningful conversations is without a doubt the biggest change.  The shift from equal partner to 24/7 nanny for a 5 year old is astounding.  Rick
janeymack
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:44 PM

jdmg1 - My H spent the last year proclaiming "I don't eat meat" and that included chicken, too. It's been a nightmare since I'm usually watching carbs and want/need lean proteins. He could remember this no meat preference until a month ago. (cue sound of angels singing). He has forgotten and now eats whatever I make. Well, he'll still declare he doesn't eat chicken or turkey, but eats it when I serve it to him. We have fish twice a week, but he certainly wasn't getting enough protein without meat.

His preference is ice cream, cookies, cake, juice, donuts, etc.

Joe C.
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:30 AM

Jdmg1, My DW was a very good & creative cook until a few years ago when she started losing her cooking skills. Fortunately I had watch/helped her over the years so I could step right in and make most of the dishes she use to prepare. For a time I really enjoyed the time I spent in the kitchen preparing meals, it actually gave me a sense of accomplishment that I am missing in other areas of my life. Unfortunately, like your DH, in the last few months her food preferences have really changed. Foods she up once loved now she now finds very unappealing to down right gross (oysters & clams) and the list keeps growing. I am now down to a handful of meals that I know she will eat and the joy of cooking is slipping away as well. Know for me it’s like “Oh god, chicken stir fry again”! Maybe I need to give door dash a try!
IWBH1990
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:45 AM

Interesting post. My DW has EOAD and I have done all of the cooking for the last 2 years. She used to love my home made soups, and especially loved wild caught salmon with baked little red potatoes with broccoli, , but does not care much for anything nutritious anymore. If she had her choice we would run down to the A&W Root Beer stand every day for a hot dog or hamburger.

Dave

Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:41 AM

I am a poor cook, and I hate cooking. But I have been doing all the cooking for about the last 6 months. There are a few things I can make that will pass the taste test, but won't win any prizes. 

Like many others here, my wife has had changing dishes that will get a "like". She does not eat much at all, but enough to keep her going. Meals are problematic for me, but we somehow make it.

ScottyTom
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:54 AM

Yes, food is an issue.  I've been doing all cooking for the past couple of years.  I'm a so-so cook, but she is easily pleased. Up until recently, my wife could fix herself a bowl of cereal, but that seems now to be beyond her.  I will now fix her a sandwich and she sort of looks bewildered and picks up a piece of the bread with some lettuce clinging to it and eat the sandwich piecemeal.  Then there are some of her long time favorite items she used to make.  Now-a-days I'll take the initiative to make them.  For example cookies.  I get out the recipe, the bowls, the ingredients, do the measuring, put ingredients in the mixing bowl and then have her stir or blend or mix under my observation and assistance.  Then I put them on the cookie sheet, and cook them and take them out.  When the grandkids come over she'll take full credit and say she made them their favorite cookies!   That makes it all worthwhile.
Dreamer Lost
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 10:29 AM

jdmg1- you can cook for me anytime! LOL!  I too used to love cooking but am losing the desire (especially the planning and shopping, etc)  as my DH doesn't like anything that looks different.  DH does like desserts so will bake a couple of times a week, he enjoys his breakfast burritos I make (breakfast is his best meal).  I also use the HomeChef meals for at least a little variety (3 meals a week) but no prep time (grocery shopping) for me.  Cost is higher than if I bought the ingredients at the grocery store but I balance that with the planning, delivery and variety. DH may or may not eat it but I enjoy the meals and I can change them up by adding anything I might have in my fridge or adding a side, soup or dessert.  They also have vegan meals (haven't tried them though).  You might also consider volunteering at a soup kitchen or someplace where your skills would be great appreciated.
Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:44 AM

I'll just relate this little story.. Stuffed peppers were a staple of my in-laws diet when my wife was growing up. Last fall, I made "deconstructed" stuff peppers dish. My MIL, who made stuffed peppers (not well, I might add), for most of her life proceeded to pick all of the bell peppers out of her dish.

She also used to order fajitas on a regular basis at my FILs favorite Mexican place. As things progressed, she would avoid the bell peppers. Eventually, we had to separate the meat from the veggies when we made fajitas at home.

Pretty much, when MIL saw peppers, she automatically thought they would be spicy hot.
Jeff86
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:00 PM

This topic sure resonates!

DW was a superb cook, an avid reader of the old Gourmet magazine, Bon Appetit, etc.  One of the early indications of the onset of AD was her decreased ability to follow a recipe, or to remember how to make dishes she’d made for years.

Nowadays it’s up to me to put meals on the table.  Have used HomeChef and Blue Apron, as it offers variety and convenience, plus no waste/leftover ingredients.

But DW’s likes and dislikes have changed dramatically and unpredictably, and it’s hard to know what she’ll eat or not eat.  We all know that we should be eating Mediterranean diets but DW favors carbs and sweets—and no longer likes chicken et al.  I am worried that she does not get sufficient lean protein in her diet.  She used to refuse to drink Ensure, but has done a 180 and now loves it!

Change, change, change...

Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:05 PM

Jeff - If she is eating, don't worry about her diet. I know it sounds horrible and we want our LOs to be as healthy as possible, but just worry about calories. Don't worry about the source.
jdmg1
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:00 AM

Wow, you all have really been against the ropes with meals too!!  I made hamburger gravy over rotini noodles.  He chose between mashed potatoes or noodles and he chose noodles.  He ate it, but I found him later digging at his teeth with a toothpick.  We will no longer be eating that.  DH has dental issues.  He is in no pain, so doesn't feel the need to visit a dentist.  So, the next time I use ground meat it will be for a salisbury steak, meatloaf, etc. where the ground meat is bound together. He also will eat hamburgers.  ick  lol
piozam13
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 6:39 AM

I wonder at what stage change in taste buds happens.  DH too has changed his likes and preferences.  He isn't a pure vegetarian but tells me he no longer likes meat.  He doesn't like dressing on his green salads.  Staples have become cheese, crackers, nuts/trail mix, fruits, pies/pastries, juice/soda.  He isn't losing weight - he eats often.

I wonder if this related to memory loss.

janeymack
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:35 AM

What a great idea for a thread! Let's keep this going and maybe include meal ideas.
Jeff86
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 6:32 PM

Thanks, Eric.  I know that one day I’ll need to worry that DW isn’t eating enough, or isn’t eating at all, is losing weight at an alarming weight, and so on.  

Still, meals are challenging since I don’t know what is liked and what isn’t.  And an hour after lunch, DW is asking for dinner.  She used to have a perfect shut-off valve when she’d eaten enough and that is gone.

I’m listening to an audiobook version of Pauline Boss’s “Loving Someone Who Has Dementia” and she describes a series of losses that we have to acknowledge and mourn.  In a sense, DW is always leaving.

jdmg1
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 7:19 PM

We ate lunch out today and DH had a rather large hamburger.  About half way through he took the patty out of the bun and almost finished it.  So, now he is having a cheese plate with grapes and a glass of milk.  I call it a win.   Testing out following what Ed and his DW do.  Lunch is the big meal and dinner is light.  So far he is eating the cheese, but not the grapes.  He loved grapes as of about a month ago.  Something else I have noticed is he has started eating one thing on his plate before eating the next food group.  Oh, and unless it is french fries, he doesn't like potatoes now.  He used to enjoy soup, but now, not so much.  I made wedding soup a few weeks back and he slurped the broth and then ate the remaining ingredients.  I think he is struggling with navigating all the different textures and the broth.  Tomorrow we are going to have fettuccine with some fresh stir fry veggies and hopefully the width is more to his liking now.  He used to love angel hair pasta, but not any longer.  So, we are trying a bit wider pasta.
Joe C.
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 6:10 AM

jdmg1, A trick I been using with pasta is breaking up the noodles before I cook it or cutting it up when we are out. I notice a few months ago that she was having a very hard time twirling the long strands of pasta on her fork but does great if  the break up the noodles or use something like rotini. She also disassembles hamburgers & sandwiches to eat them piecemeal and does the one food group at a time thing. It is frustrating when she finishes one or two food groups and the says she is finished without ever touch the remaining items. Our dog loves the days she does not touch her meat. A trick I sometimes try there is, if I think she is lacking in a particular food group, say protein, I will serve the meat/fish first and tell her the veggies or potatoes are not ready just yet. I have the best luck with stir fry dishes, when all the veggies, protein & starches are mixed together she is less likely to focus on one thing at a time. Let me know how the fettuccine goes, I typically use thin spaghetti maybe the wider noodle will work better.

Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 6:31 AM

janeymack wrote:
What a great idea for a thread! Let's keep this going and maybe include meal ideas.

There are several threads on the site for meals. You can search for them, or just try this one. https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147548671

× Close Menu