RSS Feed Print
More phone fraud with SS
Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 10:48 AM

I got a call this morning, IDed as Social Secunity office. I picked up without thinking—do have a lot of legit gov. calls coming in—and it’s a real person, female, says from Social Security. She says my number is being used for fraud along the Florida and Texas Gulf border,  and I should give her a lot more info. She sounded quite legit at first.

Of course I hung up, did not say anything. But it sounded very real, and the ID looked legit. I feel so bad for elders who fall for this....and of course it’s basically impossible to stop these scammers, most are in another country. And now they can get in your phone ID.

BOLO if your LOs have access.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:11 AM

I am afraid to answer my phone any more because of all of these scammers. 

Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:33 AM

My poor MIL was in tears one day because the IRS was coming to get her. I decided that day that it was time to put some sort of control on our landline. Our landline provider had a "selected callers only list" that worked very well for a long time. The only calls that got through were the ones that we wanted to get through.

I'm glad we had it on the phone. It worked most of the time. It's crazy, cause even towards the end when she had almost zero awareness of what was going on, she still had the impulse to answer the phone.

Eventually, I had to switch to nomorobo because the scammers got wise about "selected callers only list" and would call us like 10 times in a row (it was more irritating than anything).
Seasons In The Sun
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:54 PM

Just yesterday I got a call from " Medicare "They asked for me by name. I said who was it calling ,they said Medicare . My next response was " Medicare will never call , so you know that I know this is a scam call ". Phone line went dead. 

Another time I got a call that I qualified for something that I knew was another scam. Told the guy on the line that I was really interested. Every time he started his  pitch I asked him to hold on for a second as I was cooking and had to stir the pot ( not ) . I then told him I was sorry for the delay but please go on. This went on for about five  maybe ten minutes . Finally I said  " Now that I have wasted your time would you please stop wasting mine " .

Probably won't stop anything but it sure felt good keeping him hanging.

lvcatlvr
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:18 PM

Social Security has a recording on their phone line for you to call the FBI and report it. I don't know what good that would do. We once got that horrible call that they had kidnapped our daughter. They wanted $10,000 wired to them. There was a woman screaming in the background. My DH answered it because it was on HIS cell phone. His face was horrified. I took the phone from him. I had just read about this particular scam so I told them to F off. I knew both of our daughters were safely at their jobs but other people had fallen for this. I called the FBI. The FBI told me to call Consumer Reports!!!!! What exactly is the FBI's job, then. They said since no money had changed hands, it wasn't their responsibility. It was a faked kidnapping!!!!!I thought that was in their job description. I have a recorded message on my landline's answering machine that my number is listed on the no call list, that I have caller ID, and that I will report them if they continue to call. It has really cut down on my scam calls.
Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:47 PM

lvcatlvr wrote:
The FBI told me to call Consumer Reports!!!!! What exactly is the FBI's job, then. They said since no money had changed hands, it wasn't their responsibility. It was a faked kidnapping!!!!!I thought that was in their job description.

With all due respect I believe they were sending you to the Federal trade commission Consumer Reporting office

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

How much information you give is up to you.

• We share your report with local, state, federal and foreign law enforcement partners.
  • Your report might be used to investigate cases. The FTC does not resolve individual complaints.
  • It helps us to have your contact information in case investigators need to learn more about your experience.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 3:26 PM

Yeah but.....(in our family it is one word yeahbut) the scammers and fishers et al are good...very, very good.
Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:41 PM

Seasons, isn't that fun? I did something very similar. I acted like I was very frail, and could hardly talk. She wanted my credit card number, so I told her I had to find it in my drawer. I won't go through the whole conversation, but at one point she said "Mr. what the hell are you doing? We've been on the phone for 18 minutes" (true)!
Donr
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:32 AM

The phone number that shows up on called ID is not the real phone of the person who placed the call. I believe it is called Spoofing.
IWBH1990
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:36 AM

Like Seasons and Ed I tried to tie up a guy on the phone for as long as I could. Finally I said, have I wasted enough of your time like you have wasted mine. He replied "you have not wasted any of my time Mr, I get paid by the hour." Needless to say it was the last time I played that game.
Beachfan
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:37 AM

Rescue mom and lvcatlvr,

Go to the site that Crushed listed.  There are many options to report scammers and extortionists.  I was able to get rid of a $99.00 charge to my credit card from a company in Spain that advertised passport renewal online.  (Renewal can be done online, but through a  “ US .gov” site.) I was in a big hurry and did not read the fine print until it was too late.  My bad. Learned my lesson, but was grateful for the opportunity to fight the charge.  

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:10 AM

I sometimes keep them on the line thinking there will be fewer persons they can annoy that hour. Playing the frail card....hmmm. New approach.

× Close Menu