RSS Feed Print
Drooling
AHL
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:37 AM

My spouse the last two weeks has been drooling excessively.Any thoughts or suggestions?I have to keep a bib on him almost 24/7 now or he's soaked.

Marta
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:41 AM

This is just another symptom of loss of control over the body:  not swallowing saliva.

Sad to say, eventually swallowing of food and drink will be lost as well and the patient may aspirate (get food and drink, saliva, into trachea and then lungs.)  This will be followed by aspiration pneumonia, a common cause of death in dementia patients.

You may want to ask doctor for a swallowing study in order to be pro-active, so then you will need to face the question of what to do when he can no longer swallow food orally.  The texture of liquids can be thickened for a time, but eventually aspiration will occur.

I am so sorry.  I watched my husband go through this a year ago.  He died shortly thereafter.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:54 AM

Hi,

My husband also had aspiration pneumonia.  I had no idea he was having problems swallowing until this happened.  Got him to the hospital and after that they did a swallowing test and we did thicken all liquids.  But, he either developed the aspiration pneumonia again or was never cured.  I noticed he also held things and food in his cheeks and wouldn't swallow.  Be sure to watch for that. Don't know what the difference could be but Charles never drooled.  The doctor told me that once they develop aspiration pneumonia, it will happen again - scary thing.

klmani
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:25 PM

How do you thicken liquids?  I am curious as my husband often has problems chewing and actually eating food, and his hydration intake is very low.  I'm constantly trying to get liquids down him.  He drooled a lot when he was on a particular medication, but hasn't been since.

× Close Menu