Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
With the world how it is today
lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2021 10:54 PM

Do you worry about the future? And if so, what specifically do you worry about?
lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2021 11:08 PM

I worry about the future.

For me, it is about worrying that people can not think right. I think we are actively teaching people not to think.

If we aren't teaching people to think with their minds and we are teaching people to think with their hearts, we are teaching wrong.

That is my great fear. What is yours?

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2021 10:41 AM

This is an interesting question. Do I even have a great fear ?  I don't think I do, but I have small fears.

I hope that I will not go to my grave without letting the people in my life know that they are important.

I hope that I can resolve any regrets that continue to nag me.

You know, it occurs to me that what people really should be taught is not a " heart only " or  a " mind only " process, but how to use both .

Perhaps my great fear is that I have not fully learned that lesson.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2021 11:32 PM

I don't worry about the future.  I have enough trouble dealing with day-to-day issues. My cardiologist tells me that I might have a terminal cardiac illness.  After dealing with possible Alzheimer's Disease for the past decade, this doesn't phase me a bit.  I have too much else to think about.

As far as the future of the world, if something doesn't affect me directly, I don't worry about it.

Iris

lizziepooh
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 1:21 AM

chrisp1653 wrote:

This is an interesting question. Do I even have a great fear ?  I don't think I do, but I have small fears.

I hope that I will not go to my grave without letting the people in my life know that they are important.

I hope that I can resolve any regrets that continue to nag me.

You know, it occurs to me that what people really should be taught is not a " heart only " or  a " mind only " process, but how to use both .

Perhaps my great fear is that I have not fully learned that lesson.

I love this and I envy this. 

I wish my great fear was within my control. I think what worries me the most about my fear is I can not stop it or control it. It feels inevitable, wrong and outside my hands. I hate that.

lizziepooh
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 1:23 AM

Iris L. wrote:

I don't worry about the future.  I have enough trouble dealing with day-to-day issues. My cardiologist tells me that I might have a terminal cardiac illness.  After dealing with possible Alzheimer's Disease for the past decade, this doesn't phase me a bit.  I have too much else to think about.

As far as the future of the world, if something doesn't affect me directly, I don't worry about it.

Iris

Well, sh--. That is news. What is your prognosis? sh--. That is big news.

lizziepooh
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 1:49 AM

Iris L. wrote:

This is the kind of the thinking I worry about. Whether something affects you or not should not determine if the government should be involved or not.
My dad taught me this. He taught me to vote things on my values and not my feelings. I wish more people had a dad like mine.

chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 1:44 PM

For what it's worth, Lizziepooh, my own take on Iris's comment is that in light of what is happening to her in her own little space, the issues of the larger world kind of pale in comparison. I'm not meaning to put words in anyone's mouth, but seen from that perspective, it certainly seems understandable to me.

Just sayin', you know ?

dutiful deb
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2021 7:05 PM

I don't have any fears about the future. My fears, or worries (those two states of mind seem to go hand in hand), are mainly about what's happening in the moment, and are most often based on some current frustration I'm experiencing.  

In my travels around my area in the PNW, I often have to drive through Portland.  One area that I am afraid of is a section of freeway called the Terwilliger Curves. I go around those turns with heavy traffic surrounding me at 60 mph plus, often it's raining, and I grip the steering wheel with sweaty palms and white knuckles, feeling like I'm going to spin out. I never do, and always get through it, but that doesn't lessen my fear, and I still feel the same every time I drive that road. 

Fear can be irrational, and it can also be healthy and useful. I could stay home and never go anywhere, for fear I'm going to crash, or I can let my fear have its fifteen minutes of fame, then send it back into hiding until the next trip.  This fear also keeps me more alert, cautious, and aware of my surroundings.  No going into a "zone" while driving that road.  For me, my fear is rational and valid, but others who drive this road have no idea how I feel because they are not afraid.  Many people have this same feeling about the future. That spinning-out-of-control, why-isn't-everyone-else-worried-too fear that makes one want to stay in bed and pull up the covers. I agree with Chris, that we should use both our heads and our hearts, and I would add that we have to decide whether a fear is healthy and useful to keep us safe, or if it's irrational and keeping us from living our lives more fully. 

I like what Corrie ten Boom said of worry: It doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.  

× Close Menu