Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Hello! New here
Matthew Baire
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 4:19 PM

Hi I'm Matthew. New to this forum and hoping to make friends and learn about ways to maintain independence and usefulness for as long as possible. Had a stroke around Christmas 2020 and got vascular dementia diagnosis in May 2021. Been a wild ride so far. I'm 57 years old.

Hope you all are doing well. God bless.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 4:35 PM

Welcome, Matthew.  I'm sorry to learn of your diagnosis.  I hope you are recovering function after your stroke.  Vascular dementia is said to be amenable to response to careful control of cardiovascular risk factors.  My neurologist warned me to keep my blood pressure down, since I do have hypertension.

Are you familiar with Best Practices?  These are lifestyle habits that we do to improve functioning and to prolong the early stages.  They are basically the same as good cardiovascular habit.  But they include continuing to stimulate the brain, especially with learning new things.

Being a family man and a pastor must keep you busy.  Are you still a pastor?  Toolboxexpert on the Spouse/Partner board is also a pastor.  He just had to place his wife into care.

If you have question, please post here or on the Younger Onset board.  There are a few new members.  We can support each other.

Iris

Matthew Baire
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 5:10 AM

Thank you for the welcome, sir. 

I'm not familiar the Best Practices. I do try to keep my mind challenged.  I use a program called Constant Therapy and it is very good. I work at it every day.

Yes, I still pastor, and thank the Lord that I'm able.  My aphasia is moderate, and our people are kind and patient. My balance is poor and I get around with a cane and that slowly, but so far have been able to keep up.  I'm not able to work now, I was a Mechanical Engineer for a large manufacturing company, but very grateful I can still be of some use.

I hope we can support each other, as you so kindly offered.  I appreciate the response, and wish you the best.

Matt

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 2:24 PM

Welcome back, Matt.  I looked up Constant Therapy, I'm glad it is helping you.  You are probably already doing Best Practices, because your doctors probably has you on a diet and exercise program suitable for your stroke rehabilitation.  It's great that your congregation is supportive of you.  You are fortunate!

Iris (female)

toolbeltexpert
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2022 5:04 PM

Welcome Matthew your doing well from the sounds of it. There are lots of things that do need to be done. Do you have dpoa' setup. That's a durable power of attorney. Doing the legal stuff now while it is easy will be a big help down the road. I took that advice 3 or 4 years ago and very glad I did.

Vascular is much different then say Alzheimers. There are several who have lo's with Vascular dementia who will be able to give their experiences.

I retired in 2018 at 61 to give my dw with Alzheimers my full time care. I placed her just over 3 weeks ago and I am going to be moving her to a mc next week Lord willing. There is no such thing as a retired pastor, once a pastor always a pastor. I miss serving in the pulpit and the community. The mc is in the community I served in, so it will be good to be amoung those I served.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 9:23 AM

Hello Matthew, and a very warm welcome to you.  So glad you are here and delighted to make your acquaintance.

I would like to suggest if you wish, that your wife may like to join in at this very supportive place; I would suggest however, that she would Post and Read on the Spousal and Partner Forum. There is much experiential wisdom to be found there and much support.  That is a busy Forum and she may find it helpful.

How lovely that your congregation is so supportive and that you are continuing to Pastor; that sounds like something you really enjoy doing.  It also sounds as though you are proactive in keeping your mind busy; that is great.  Best practices also includes a healthy diet and exercise in any way it can be done. 

We look forward to your being here, and as you can see, ToolBeltExpert is a retired Pastor who is still active.  Please come and Post as often as you wish, it is a friendly place to land.

J.

Matthew Baire
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 11:25 AM

Thank you all for the kind responses can't figure out to reply the individual ones. I enjoyed each one and I'm look forward to getting to know folks once I figure that out

Lord bless

Matt

EllisA
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 1:06 PM

No way to reply to individuals here.  There is a chat room  under I have alzheimer's,  I check that frequently,  havent seen anyother patients there yet. 9/26/2022
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 4:32 PM

Matthew, you can reply to an individual simply by writing his or her name in your post, as I just did to you.

Ellis, the chat room feature is rarely used now.  If you want to set up a chat, it is a good idea to post a time, and members may respond.  

For example, you could say, "I will be in the I Have Alzheimer's Chat Room at 8 pm eastern time".  

Post "Chat Room" in the subject line of your thread to draw attention.

Posting on the message board is nice, also.  It's like writing and receiving a group letter.

Iris

EllisA
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 8:20 AM

matt I will check the i have alz. chat room at 8 mountain time tonight 9/27
Amy Joy
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 7:12 PM

I will check the chat room later
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 9:05 PM

Hi Ellis, I was in the chat room and read about your road trip; you came in and left.  I guess you didn't see me there.

Iris

Matthew Baire
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2022 1:04 PM

Iris, im sorry I thouhgt you were a man I had a friend name Ira was a fellow and that's how I read you name.

Sorry is messy reply from my computer cant figure how to do spell and grammar like my phone does.  God bless.

Matt

I used to write a lot, bugs me bad to be losin that, but the Lord knows it will be ok

will try to use my phone as much i can

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2022 4:14 PM

Ha ha, Matthew, it's okay.

Iris

× Close Menu