Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (180)
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 1:54 PM

I think that reply adjustments are limited to what is on the reply dashboard.

Yes, The moon was beautiful. Since we are affected by circadian rythms the moon cycles would certainly effect us. I know I was awake later than usual.

Iris...hope your sleep is back on track.  

Sayra
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 2:19 PM

Moon was beautiful Lorita.  Am not going to get bivalent at this time.  Might later depends on what I see.

Do remember fuzzy wuzzy but not the other one. Itsy Bitsy Spider is one I really like.  

Got furnace and AC maintenance done today. 

Lorita
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 3:20 PM

Why are you waiting, Sara?

Thanks, Judith.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 3:38 PM

definately remember both and also Olly Olly Oxen Free...........
ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 3:58 PM

Hello, all, You Front Porch Rockers. 

Ron.   Your veg beef soup sounds so good. Iam starting to think about soup now that it's getting colder. I hope soup is a comfort food for Lou. I love a mug of tomato soup on a cold day. 

Sandy.  So sorry to hear you still not feeling better. I have never had pleurisy I don't even know what it is. I hope your pain pills are allowing you to be able to get some rest. Thanks for the updates on Lorita. 

Beth.   Speaking of frost, I had some this morning. It was pretty cold when I got up. I took Molly outside and she was not too sure she wanted to go. I could see the frost on the ground. Pretty soon it will be snow. 

Sara.   I also love salmon, I will be grocery shopping tomorrow and I have that on my list. I also remember Itsy Bitsy Spider, my kids loved for me to tell them that, and have my fingers crawling like a spider. 

Iris.  I am glad you got 6 hours of sleep. I try taking sleeping pills at times, but I have never found one that worked. I have tried a lot of them. I can usually get 6 hours then I get up go to the restroom and I can usually get a few more. So, I have no reason to complain. I just wish it would not take me 3 hours to get to sleep. 

Lorita.  It's so nice to have you posting again, we have all missed you. I love hearing about all your girls and rest of your babies. I missed them as well. I do remember fuzzy wazzy but not the one about the worm. What is dust pneumonia, is it when they breath in a lot of dust and it gets into their lungs?  

It sounds like you have learned a lot about computers. I sure hope mine don't go down I would be clueless. At lease my son would know what to do. I had to laugh when you said Sheena did not want to come in, she knew she was going to be squirted. Thay are so smart. 

It has been so cold in the mornings I finally turned my heater on just to warm the house in the mornings. I am trying my best not to fall for some reason falling has happened a lot lately. All for stupid reasons, I just need to be more careful. I had a fall a few days ago I just tripped over the step when I was going outside and down, I went. I had an arm load of stuff, so you see its always something stupid. I think I would be safer just staying in my recliner all day watching westerns. Lorita, I am watching Gunsmoke right now. 

Hugs To All, Zetta 

Sayra
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 4:55 PM

Hugs to you too Zetta.  You be careful walking.  

Lorita it’s just a decision I have made for myself.  If I was 75 or older, had comorbidities or severely immune compromised would take it now.  I’m not and so that is my decision for now but I still keep an eye on things and if I see hospitalizations and deaths increasing will reconsider.  This summer even when our community was high risk very little hospitalization or death.  No where near like last summer.  Think they need to quit looking at antibodies and look at  tcells and determine are they still doing their job.  Guessing they are, that is why people are getting sick but unless you have the risk factors I previously mentioned they are doing ok.  

Lorita
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2022 10:56 PM

We've had two short showers and even thunder once and there are still chances the next day or so.  Supposed to be pretty chilly next week.  Maybe the little rain we've had will settle the pollen.  Allergies are better anyway.

Just watched a really good football game KC Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders.  KC won by one point.  Charles and I saw them play years sgo when the Raiders were in Oakland- brought back memories.

Didn't see a post from Ron.  Hope things are allright.  Sleep well everyone.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 1:40 AM

Lorita, it is so good to see you back and to catch up on the animals and how they are doing.  As for verses, I recall some old ridiculous ones:

This one was sung . . .

"Playmate, come out and play with me; and bring your dollies three, climb up the apple tree; jump in the rain barrel, slide down the cellar door, and we'll be jolly friends for evermore . . .

I'm sorry Playmate, I cannot play with you, my dolly has the flu, boo-hoo, hoo, hoo. hoo, hoo; ain't got no rain barrel, ain't got no cellar door, but we'll be jolly friends forevermore!"

Then there is another old one that has a myriad of different verses depending on where one learned it . . . it starts:

"Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps; cross mosquitos and bow-legged ants; I now stand before you behind you to tell you something I know nothing about . . . Meetings at two, be here by four, admission is free, pay at the door; pull up a chair and sit on the floor . . . . . . "  Some different variations of additional verses are really not so nice, but the one we kids heard was not that way but I cannot recall the rest of it.

Then another that  needs two people and is not only sung, but has an entire set of hand motions with ongoing clapping in a specific sequence and crossing clapping of hands, with the other person . .:  "I am a funny little Dutch girl, as funny as funny can be and all the boys on the baseball team are crazy over me, me, me . . . my boyfriend's name is Nony, he came from the land of baloney with pickles on his toes and a big red nose and that's the way my story goes . . .  I woke up Monday morning and looked upon the wall, the bed bugs and mosquitoes were playing a game of ball, ball, ball . . . the score was six to nothing, the cooties were ahead, then the bedbugs hit a home run and knocked me out of bed, bed bed."

Gads, 'nuff of that for sure.  Actually loved poems as a kid and learned to love Robert Louis Stevenson's children's poems very young; they are sweet and create wonderful word pictures.

We actually got some dinner from the Olive Garden last night.  Not my favorite restaurant; I got Chicken with Kale and Mushrooms and Marsala Wine Sauce over noodles, it was actually good and had a lot of chicken and mushrooms.  I love Marsala Wine in sauce, really lovely and tasty.  Added some vegetables and a fruit and that was it.  I got Pasta Fagioli as the included side rather than having salad and used it for the next day at lunch.  No cooking and not much cleanup at all.

Still pretty warm out here, mid 80's today.   Perhaps we will move toward lower temps in a couple of weeks.  Would like that.

LA County Public Health Dept. follows the sewer counts for COVID.  Count had been decreasing for quite awhile, but the Chief Epidemiologist is concerned as for the last several weeks the count has stayed stable with a small increase; that is supposedly what happens right before an increase upward. However; that is expected for the winter.  Flu is increasing quite a bit. Glad we are getting our flu shots tomorrow so they can get to work within the next couple of weeks.  Every year . . . glad that we have the vaccines; wonder what the future will hold for even better preventive dynamics.

Sure do need the outside of the windows washed; they are really dirty, especially the ones upstairs.  Time to get them tended to.

DH is having trouble with his eyes; he doesn't say much and keeps things inside, it is his way. However, he is having enough difficulty that he finally mentioned he can no longer read books due to the focusing issues due to the eye surgeries he has had to have.  He is worried about long term and frankly, so am I; he has a small hole in one eye's macula and it is being watched carefully.  He is such a good person.  I think he is worried about losing vision altogether as he continues to age.  He is a Type 2 Diabetic.  Love him dearly, been my best friend since we were 14; we have built so much and shared so much together.

DIL, the vet tech, took seven kittens home to keep until they could be placed, otherwise the only option was a kill shelter and the kittens needed a LOT of 24 hour care seven days a week.  So; she bottle fed them round the clock; they went to work with her in the morning and came home with her at night. Four of the seven have found adoptive homes and the others still need a bit more care. It is a lot with also having their three rescue dogs, she is exhausted due to the 24 hour routine, but she could not bear the idea of the kittens being put to sleep.  They were unable to have children, and I wish they had adopted, but they are doing what is best for them and that must be up to them. They nurture little animals and that seems to be their mission.

Glad you have a little rain, Lorita.  We sure could use a little out here too.  Will be awhile until we see enough to count.  Here we are, waiting for rain and the poor people in Florida, it is a nightmare for those in the way of the storm.  It has been horrible for everyone; especially the elderly.  I can only imagine trying to care for a LO with dementia in such a situation. 

I just re-read, "When The Crawdads Sing," what a wonderfully written book, I enjoyed it as much as the first time and actually picked up more from it.  That woman sure can write.  I would not advise seeing the movie before reading the book. As it is, the movie has not been well received and no way could they pick up so much of what was in the pages of the book.

Sleep well and see you all again later,

J.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 5:24 AM

Good morning.  50F

Lorita hope you guys are blessed with more rain.  We may get some later in week.  I hope so as I put fall fertilize down and it needs to be rained on.

JoC I’m so sorry for your DH and you. My uncle lost his vision when he got older.  When he was in hospital last time , my dad was helping him eat and he related to my dad how vulnerable you feel from loss of vision.  I’m glad he did because it helped me to try and be very aware of this and to try and decrease that feeling  the best I knew how when taking carebof someone with vision problems.  Did my best to be their eyes.  

Going to change my hours at work to 8-2 at least til spring.  Will be there through more of their busy hours and will be lighter out by then.  

Take care each one

ronald71111
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 5:32 AM

Jo. Hear is the variation I learned!

"Ladies  and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, crosseyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants. I come before you not behind you, but to address you and not to undress you, but to tell you a story I've never heard before. One night when the sun was shinning bright two dead boys came out to fight. They faced each other back to back drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf policeman heard the noise, came and shot the two dead boys. If you dont believe this story true, ask the blind man he saw it to." 

Lou has been sleeping good at night, bit I haven't. Drs have prescribed me medicine to help me relax but I'm afraid to take anything that might keep me from being able to know when Lou is trying to get up. I'm a light sleeper, so when she starts stirring around I know it. Guess when my sister recovers enough where she can come back, I'll go back for the sleep study they've wanted me to have again. My sister had a spell as she was recuperating from surgery at her son's home and had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. Her Dr. is having her go through reabilitation to strengthen her legs before releasing her. 

A couple from one of the local churches came by Sunday afternoon to invite us to their church. After talking to them outside for a few minutes, I I desided to invite them in to meet Lou. Her eyes lit up and she just talked up a storm. Guess I've just been to protective of her since covid with her refusal to have a booster shot. It might be helpful to reestablish ourselves in a church community, but I'm still a little concerned about crowds. 

Go in Thursday morning for my four implants to hold my lower dentures in place. I was told they will snap in and I will not have to worry about the dentures making my gums sore. Just hope I dont bleed as much as when I had the teeth pulled.

Keep those rockers rocking. 

Ron

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 8:07 AM

Hello HB and welcome to this thread. I've seen your posts on other threads many times and appreciate your wisdom. Hope you will continue to share on this fun and encouraging thread. 

Sara, I am thinking of using alfalfa pellets on my raised (vegetable) beds. It's either that or compost. I have used all of the compost I made myself already this fall. Even though I seem to have A LOT of garden waste, it breaks down to a much smaller amount as compost. We also refrain from putting certain items in our compost bin and send it out with the yard waste bin. For example, weeds with seeds and items that do not break down readily. I saw alfalfa pellets on Chewy.com, 50 lb bag for $33. I wonder if I could get it at a lower cost at a feed store. I would have to purchase more compost if I go that route.

For all who need rain - Joydean, us, the Oklahomans and Californians I am praying for you. I read where it is drier in OK now than it was during the dust bowl in the 30's.

Lorita, so glad that you are up and running again! Your newsy posts have been missed. 

Day, hope you are doing well and that your job is going well. Busy travel season, and it'll probably just get busier from now to year end.

Sandy, hope you are feeling better. Thanks for keeping us informed re Lorita. We are glad she is back. 

Iris I hope you are sleeping better.

Ron, hope your implant surgery goes well. The miracle of modern dentistry! 

Zetta, Jo, Judith and others - thinking of you all and hoping you will have some beautiful fall color. We have some, should peak in a week. Only my tulip tree has turned (yellow). I have 2 maples that should turn red and one orange and look forward to seeing them.

I am putting the garden to bed - trimming back plants. I still have  lot of annuals blooming and will not cut them back until the frost claims them. Going to a cross country meet today for our granddaughter. 

Hugs, Beth

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 9:39 AM

Morning,

Welcome to our thread, HB.  Somehow I missed your post -  sorry.  Guess too much was going on with my posting problems.

Day, watching Gary and Carolyn for two hours.  You may be working but they repeat it.  So far haven't bought anything.

Allergies are awful this morning.  Maybe because the GPs were in last night or maybe the shower we had.    Thought a little rain would help.  Haven't checked but if we got .1" we were lucky. Tulsa got rain this morning but not here.

Ron, glad Lou is sleeping wish you could.

Will be back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 10:44 AM

for Lorita;

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 11:15 AM

That's really pretty and so inventive.  Prettier then a big, black tub with a hose.  Thanks for posting it, Judith.

I just called my CPA about my tax return.  Not finished yet but says he should have it done in time.  I have to mail them in by Monday. Dread doing it because will probably have quite a bit to pay because I will have the lease and cattle sale as income this year.  This next year I will get them in by April!!  Ya think?

Tomorrow I have a 2 pm appt. to get my booster,then on to the vet with Lilly.  Checked my journal and found I got my flu shot last year Nov. 4.  They're saying we may have a bad flu season this year.  The last couple of years it been mild and I bet it was because of mask wearing.  I will be wearing my mask.

Allergies are getting a little better this am.  Eyes are burning.  Guess the uber dry eyes plus the pollen is too much today.  Will be glad when we get a frost.

HB, I also take D3 or try to remember.  Vit. D level is low even though I'm outside a lot.  My doctor has the same problem.

Zetta, are the moose showing up yet?  Hope you're feeling better.  Are you still sore?  Takes a long time to get over a fall.

Iris, are you feeling better today?  Glad you got a lot of sleep yesterday and hope you slept well last night.

Beth, have you noticed that late fall flowers are even prettier than in the summer?  Guess they're trying to make good seeds.  I have let my caladiums go except for one big pot and a few small ones in the bathtub and one on the porch.  When I carry water to them it hurts my costo and the water hose is hooked up to a float valve so hard to use.  Still hoping for rain!  Thanks, Beth, good to be back.

Sandy, hope you're feeling better this morning and the pain is less.  Take it easy.

Enjoy the day!

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 3:30 PM

Good evening 

Has been a beautiful sunny day.

Beth I do get alfalfa pellets at a feed store.  The brand they sell here is Stanlee and comes in 40 pound bags.  Organic $26, nonorganic $20.  Very picky about what I make compost from too.  Last year I had enough to add some to most if not all my bags.  Don’t know if I will this year or not.  Have lots of worms in my bins.  They came on their own.  In winter once I start having some room I put stuff that can be composted in the freezer and when spring comes have a bit of a head start.  Shred a lot of paper that I’m comfortable composting.  To me it is so satisfying making dirt.  Really almost unbelievable to me that I can do it.

Hope each one has a good night

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 3:40 PM

Lorita, somewhere in one of your Posts, I think you asked how to change the size of things on the screen for Explorer.   If this is what you are asking, it is easy.   When using Explorer, just go up to the right side of the top of the screen where you see the round "gear" and click on that . . . .

See where it says, "Zoom," just go to that and it will give you a variety of numbers to choose from for larger or smaller sizing. I use the one that works best on my computer; it is number 175 for me.

Our son who had Anka Vasculitis has tested positive for COVID.  He has a very light case of it, he said he does not even feel sick.  He was vaxxed and boosted, so that is good.  He said he knows where he got it from. He works installing and repairing big radiology equipment in hospitals. One of the hospital radiology workers had a very bad cold with coughing and congestion. Both that person and son were wearing N95 masks and both were vaccinated.  A few days later, the worker contacted son to inform him that he had tested positive for COVID, so son tested.  Per his company policy, son must be out of work and then tested twice. If he is negative he can return to work.  He said he doesn't feel sick at all.  Had two days of a mild sore throat and tiny sniffles which are gone.  He is outside working on his lawn . . . geeze, would rather he not tax his body and relax inside instead, but he never stays still and has a gorgeous lawn and garden which he tends to very nicely himself and he just built some new planters.  So hope he continues to do well.

Interesting in that I came across an article regarding a study that was done and published in the Journal Of The American Medical Assn., (JAMA), exploring the percentage of people who intentionally lie about being COVID vaccinated or who lied about breaching COVID protocols; the study was done in 2021, and the number of people who admitted to lying was 40%. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/misled-others-covid-status-getting-150000132.html

Really a bit stunning the lack of ethos and moral responsibility toward others.  It brings back the horrible action by my friends adult daughter; my friend could do nothing except express her dismay.  The daughter is an adult, has a Masters Degree and is a high school counselor.  She and another professional female friend are both non-vaxxers; no vaccinations for anything at all and never intend to do so.  They got blank forms looking like the original COVID cards that indicate vaccination.  The two women were going to fly to an out of state concert. They filled out the fake vaccination cards as they needed to show them for the flight and also all those who entered the concert had to show their cards.  There they were, in a huge crowd of people in the thousands, shoulder to shoulder singing and yelling, not to mention their foray across busy airports and flights in crowded planes.  Astonishingly irresponsible and of course in all probability, not the only ones.

Worse than them were the two nurses, a NP and an LVN in New York who had a VERY busy and also very lucrative practice in providing false COVID cards to people who refused to be vaccinated, but needed to show cards for work and other purposes.  They not only gave the false cards and falsified the medical records in the office, they also sent the false information for each person into the state data bank records that tracks vaccinations.  The practice included not only adults, but also did this for the right age children of non-vaxxer parents.  They earned 1.5 million dollars doing it.   Both are being prosecuted, and of course lost their nursing licenses.  Another pathetic side of it is that they got vaccine and syringes free of charge from the state to provide vaccination to patients and they simply disposed of the vaccine.   Lost everything for greed as well they should; unconscionable when one thinks of the potential negative consequences to others.

Gosh Ron; sorry you are not sleeping well.  My DH has been having trouble with insomnia for quite a time.  He takes so many meds, three of which have the potential side effect of insomnia.  When I reviewed them, one stood out; Flomax has quite a record of causing insomnia and he takes that pill at night after his supper meal.  Wonder about that.  Flomax can cause dizziness to the point of loss of balance and falling when going from sitting to standing in some persons.  If that is an issue, then it is usually taken at night. However; if it is not a problem, then it can be taken during the day.  So, it would be good for DH to discuss this with his physician.  He also has sleep apnea and cannot tolerate a CPAP or anything similar; he has no patience with it.  Insomnia is not pleasant when it becomes chronic.

So hope you can regain your sleep soon, Ron.   If you use the computer or other blue light device in the evening, that too can be an issue for insomnia.

Had to chuckle, last Post, just after I had mentioned wishing we could get some rain out here even in the small amounts like Lorita, it started raining unexpectedly!  We had about an hours worth of big drops that came down hard. We also may have some more over the next couple of days. Would be nice if we did.   Some areas also had thunder, but we did not get that where we are.  So now I have to start wishing for rain on Lorita!

Can you believe we are near Thanksgiving just weeks from now?  And we know what comes after that . . . . in fact, some stores already have Christmas decoration stuff out which I do not find very pleasant.  It take away the feeling of the season for me.  Well; tis that time of the year for stores.

Going to get going, have a good rest of the day and sweet dreams tonight. 

J.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 7:47 PM

Hi,

Funny you should say that about making dirt, Sara.  Just the other day Carol was talking about buying dirt and how odd that was.  She also grew up on a farm so there was dirt everywhere.  There's dirt everywhere here but it has been covered with grass so hard to get to.  Glad you've mastered the art.

Jo, I was talking about how to enlarge print in the reply section.  I'll check tomorrow when I use the computer.  Today I have only used the tablet.

You know anyone who would make and use fake cards should be reported and prosecuted.  They have no regard for other people or for themselves.  I can't  understand them.

Hope your son continues to feel well.  I think people are dropping their guard.  I will continue to wear my mask even if I'm the only one.

Mike and Sydney just left.  They came and gave the girls several old bales of hay.  Sydney came to open gates so the little girls wouldn't get out.

Today I saw a cow laying down at the south end of the pond so drove up and she was babysitting six or seven babies while their moms grazed.  As I was coming back another cow was coming up to get her baby.  They're so sweet when they babysit and have babies laying around them.  I think I have mentioned  that even the bull will take his turn watching the kids. Haven't seen Samson doing that though but did see Jasper doing it.

Eyes are burning again since I was outside.  Thought the few drops of rain we had might help.  The only thing in the rain gauge was a leaf and dust.  Glad you got a little rain, Jo.  Every drop is precious.  We are in the longest stretch of having no rain in 100 years which includes the dust bowl years.

Time for more eyedrops.   May everyone sleep well tonight and feel better tomorrow.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 8:02 PM

Wrote a long reply and if wouldn't post.

Hope everyone has a good night's sleep and feels well tomorrow.

BethL
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 8:09 AM

Jo, so sorry your son is ill and also about your husband's eye problems. Those persons making the fake vaccine cards are despicable. What some people will do for money!!! I heard on the news this a.m. that if people get the new bivalent vaccine it's estimated it could save 90,000 lives and a million hospitalizations.  I got mine 2 or 3 weeks ago. My first 4 vaccines were Moderna. #4 made me feel ill, so I got Pfizer this time (It's also all that was available at the time). I felt fine with this one, only a sore arm.

Sara, thanks for your response about the alfalfa pellets. I am sure I can get it at our local garden/feed store. It's a place that sells plants, eggs, honey, straw, compost, mulch, birdseed and feed for all sorts of animals. I also like making compost. I have a 5 gallon bucket in my garage that I place my kitchen veg/fruit scraps in and then I take it out and dump it in the composter. When weeding or trimming plants, I carry 2 buckets: one for items that go in the compost and one for the items that go in the yard waste bin. I empty my stuff into the compost all year round; of course if doesn't process during the winter. Our waste management company takes all the yard waste they receive and make compost and sell it. There piles are just huge; you can see them when you drive by. They get really hot so they supposedly kill the weed seeds. I have heard it is lovely compost. 

Lorita, I am so glad you are back. I hope you get along well with your new computer.

We had a little rain overnight and this a.m. Happy for it, but could use more. Seems like a lot of the nation is in drought. (Google U.S. drought monitor - or for your state, google Drought Monitor Iowa for example.)

Have a good day.     Beth

ronald71111
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 8:56 AM

Jo., I'm glad your son's COVID isnt a severe case and him being able to work outside proves the vaccine works. Hopefully he want over work himself and have a relapse. 

Well dang if you do and dang if you dont! Lou was resting good this morning and I thought I could lay back down for a little while. I wasn't in bed 10 minutes and she was sitting up. Oh well!!!!

Slight chance of rain, we sure need it!

Ron

Just received a call from VA informing me I missed my 8:30 appointment! Crying like a baby!! I'm 76 years old and have never been late for anything in my life and for sure have never missed a appointment. What makes it even worse is I have Wednesday at 8:30 marked on the calendar plus I have had two VA reminder emails. I'm afraid something is wrong with me that I get a date stuck in my head and ignore all the reminders I have. This bothers me!!!!

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 11:33 AM

Morning,

Ron, there's nothing wrong with you.  You just have a lot on your mind and plate.  You're caaegiving and that's a lot.  We all forget things so don't beat yourself up.

I had an appointment this afternoon to get my booster - I called this morning to see if they had Pfizer and she said they usually have both kinds - but, their nurse got sick this morning and went home so no booster today.  Guess I'll go next week if they have a nurse. Carol just called and they got their boosters yesterday - got their flu shots at a drive through on Monday.  She didn't have even a sore arm from either.  I think I'll rather wait a week or more between them.   Still have to take Lilly over to the vet this afternoon.

All's quiet here - supposd to be warm today. It's partly cloudy and the wind is from the NW,  Still no rain here - looks like they had quite a bit north of here early this morning. Guess our time will come - eventually.

Allergies have done a number on my eyes especially the last two mornings.  I thought it was getting better before that.  Let Stormy and Sheena stay in the last two nights and guess they brought some pollen in.  I didn't spray them - guess I should have.

I'll stop for now and see if this will post.  Still not used to the keyboard on the new laptop.  Need to get the other one out and see how using a different keyboard will work.  Hope everyone is doing all right this morning.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Mr. Ron, the forgetful dynamic is in all probability due to having far too much on your mind and far too little restful sleep.  I have noticed on nights that I get very little sleep, I am duller the next day; when getting a good night's sleep, all is much brighter and in tune and recall of this and that ever so much better as is my ability to work crossword puzzles.

Judith, you asked about teacup size; in my understanding, a teacup is 6 ounces.  Today, I came across a recipe for Scottish Pancakes from guess who - the Queen; there it was on Yahoo when I checked out of my email.  It has measurements in the "teacup" size.  The Scottish pancakes really sound yummy; they are indeed different fromour more ordinary  pancakes.  Recipe:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/queen-elizabeths-favorite-scottish-pancake-162713969.html

Well my goodness; about 3:15 am, I woke up to a HUGE clap of thunder, it was really right overhead . . . startling.  No rain, but about an hour later, we got some rain followed by more intermittent thunder with a bit of intermittent rain; a long unstable cell was over us.  We are supposed to get more of the same late this afternoon into evening; could do without the thunder as dogs get scared, but sure can use the rain.  Weatherman said we may have more on Saturday.

Speaking of dogs; we had the canine musical again yesterday.  Sirens went by in the distance, and every dog in a several block area began to howl as one and sing when the siren started and then abruptly stopped when it passed.   Really makes me smile.  One of the dogs behind us really does sound as though it is singing. 

DHs vision is pretty good for most things.  He has passed the DMV test perfectly; it is the coordination of the eyes when reading something long like a novel that is a problem.  He can read okay and does so, but not lengthy novels or stories, and he looks more carefully; it strains his eyes, problem with coordinated close focus.  This morning, unrelated to that, he somehow managed to not check and he opened and marked my voting ballot by accident and then signed my return envelope with his name at which point he caught himself; uh-oh!   Had to call the county/state board to find out, now what do we do as envelopes and ballots are numbered and read by computer.  Since we live at the same address, they informed me that I could sign MY name to HIS ballot return envelope; cross out his printed name below the signature line  and put mine in and he could do the same with the errored return envelope and ballot.  So hope this works well, I really take voting very seriously.

As it is, I was able to know how I was going to vote on the propositions and most of the individuals who are running for office, but I have no clue about the judges; so now I have to look up names and see what's up with that so I can vote for some of the judicial offices but not all; otherwise I leave it blank as I do not want to be an unconscious voter.

Disneyland prices have been increased once again, Yikes!   It is at a point that I wonder how in the world families can afford such a visit when there are multiple children.   The prices for food and beverages in the park are astronomical.  When our adult children and grandchildren came to visit, one thing Grammie and Grandpa always did was to buy the tickets to Disneyland for everyone; it was our treat and we went with them and had so much fun, laughter and making of memories.  Cannot do that any longer.  We would have a group of 11 or 12 kids and grandkids; far, far too expensive now.  Cost for one Tier One ticket for a weekday ticket in a non-premium period, is now $115; the Tiers One thru Six go from $115 to $179 per ticket; for Park Hopping between the two Parks in California, the cost is from Tier One to Tier Six at $179 to $244 per ticket.   For different Tiers One thru Tier Six the price goes up, up, up. Lots of restrictions, etc. If one wants to get a "Genie" ticket to help not to have to wait so long in lines, (still a wait though), it is an extra $25 per ticket AND lots of restrictions apply. Parking ranges from $30 to $35.  You would have to look up and see the Tiers to figure out the useage and restrictions.  Some tickets cannot be used during the peak days or peak season such as Spring Break, Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons and other times too.  Not a user friendly situation and many children will not be able to have the experience.

As it is, Disneyland has lost much of its original charm; everything seems to be about bigger, faster, and more faster; so much goodness has been lost. Even the characters are no longer out and about as they used to be and the kids loved that. Ah well; for many, this is no big deal and I get that.  Just paying rent and buying groceries are a priority for many these days.  Who knew that some folks take out a loan or max the credit card to go to Disneyland . . .

How wonderful you get fall color, Beth.  We do not get fall color out here; too warm.  Cannot grow lilacs either.  We used to go "home" to visit relatives in the U.P. of Michigan in the autumn to be in the color of the season; so beautiful.  Lots and lots and lots of trees, so it was like being enveloped in it. And it smelled so good.

Still need to check our OTC cold and flu type meds for expiration dates, lay in a supply of good Puffs for the nose, make sure we have lots of disinfecting wipes, Purell, cans of "sick day" soup, applesauce and saltines for the pantry for a, "just in case" they may be needed, and put new batteries in our thermometer and pulse oximeter and we will be more or less ready for the duration for any flu or colds.  Plan to also have adequate number of masks and to wear them when out and will stay out of crowds.  I usually have such foodstuffs in the pantry for tummy upsets at any time of the year, but stock is pretty low, so will gear up.  I do this each year.

Am reading another book, "Pachinko," it is a good read and a bit different as it takes place long ago pre and post WWII and is set in Korea and Japan; the characters are well done and the story also well done.  Lots of twists and turns.

Lunch time, then some things to do, have a good day and see you soon,

J.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 4:45 PM

Good evening

About 7:30am left to do grocery shopping.  Sky was such a pretty blue with lots of pink mixed in.  The trees are gorgeous.  May get 1/4 to 1/2 inch rain tonight.  That would be wonderful.  

Have you guys heard of resistant starch? They had a video by someone today on Bob and Brad. Found it extremely interesting.  Had never heard of it.  It got me to looking elsewhere on the subject. 

ladyzetta
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 5:17 PM

Hello Rockers.

Lorita.    It is so nice hearing from you again, we really missed your postings. Good thing you called about your booster and found out it was not given today. I need to check and see when our drug store will be giving them out. I plan on getting my flu shot Friday. I don't think I want to get them both on the same day. I have not seen the moose yet, but my son says they have been here because the big pile of grass trimmings is gone. I have seen a lot of deer, they come right up in my yard. 

I was pretty sore after my last fall but in a few days, it was gone. I am so lucky that I have not broken anything when I fall. I just need to slow down, my falls are usually due to clumsiness. Iam always in a hurry. Allergies seem to have been harder on me this year also. With coughing and my eyes burning. It also could be due to all the smoke we have been getting.

Jo.   I am so sorry to hear about the trouble your DH is having with his eyes. I remember when Dan was also having issues with his eyes. I hope your son is feeling better and covid did not get to him too bad. It is so sweet of your DIL to care for those kittens. I could never be a vet tec I would be taking them all home. Pets bring a lot of comfort and love to the people who love them. I wish I had some of your rain. We are not really that far away so I am surprised we have not had any rain. 

Sara.  If I was working, I would like the 8-2 shift. You will have the rest of the afternoon off to take care of things. Enjoy your new hours.

Ron.  Don't let forgetting get you down. Once you get your sleeping under control that will help. As we all know sleep is important, especially when they have so many other things on their mind. I hope your sister continues to improve. 

Alls well with me. The weather has been nice and warm I have been able to leave my doors open and enjoy the fresh air. I have a pet sitting job all day tomorrow and then Friday I will be going in and getting my flu shot. 

Stay Safe All, Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 5:26 PM

Sara, never heard of resistant starch.  What is it?  Nice that your trees are pretty.  Fall is my favorite season.  There will be no pretty trees in Okla. this year unless they have poured water into them.  There's nothing green here except weeds and they look sick.  The leaves are either brown or have fallen off.  Think the Hack berry s are doing better than some.  No autumn clematis this year either.  Still trying to find out if the holly leaves will return.  Grasshoppers have eaten all of them.

Since I couldn't get my booster took Lilly to the vet anyway.  She has allergies like Sheena, Stormy and I.  He gave her an allergy shot, antibiotic, Prednisone pills and Amoxicillin.. This will be fun getting the Prednisone down her,- guess it will be crushed.

Mike called this morning to see if I was okay. Said they didn't see me last night and was worried.  What a nice person he is.  His parking lot was full and so was the waiting room with lots of people and pets.  I checked in, then sat in the PU until they came to get me.  PU did just fine.  I hadn't been out in the country for three or four weeks and what I saw was so sad.  Cows trying to find something to eat and very little to be had.  I'm 80 and don't remember it ever being this bad.  I remember years when it would be dry and the corn stalks would turn brown from the bottom up.  No corn around now. Over 40 of our 77 counties have a burn ban but Mike said our County Commissioner has cancelled it for our County.  That's crazy!  People are so careless about throwing cigarettes out car windows so when the wind is from the north I get worried.  We're over a quarter from the road on the north and east sides son I really when the wind is from the north.  Tomorrow is supposed to be windy.

Had thoughts of going by my pharmacy to get my booster but it was too hot for Lilly.  Will do that next week and flu shot the next.  Sort of reluctant to get both at the same time even though they say it is okay.

Jo, glad you got some rain and hope you get more - same for you, Sara.

Stormy was so happy when we got home after being gone less than two hours.  He's asleep on the divan now.  Girls are leaving the barn to eat a little hay. Didn't see the new baby yesterday or today but don't hear a cow bawling so guess he's okay.

Iris, did you sleep last night?  Hope you did. When I lose sleep it bothers me the second  day.  I have never taken a sleep pill but did take Nyquil years ago and felt like climbing the walls all night.

Sara, did you say Brad and Bob have a video on getting better balance?  Carol and I both need that.

Time, almost, for the world news.  All bad news but still watch sometimes.

Hope everyone has a good evening and a good nights sleep.  See you all on the porch in the morning.

Hi Zetta.  Glad you're over your fall and didn't break anything.  When Carol calls, the last thing she says is "don't fall!".  Saw a news clip on TV about some people who had rented a cabin and saw a loose and two babies in the yard.  The babies were so cute all babies are!!  Thank you it's good to be back with my friends.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Resistant starch is not absorbed by small intestine but does feed some good things in large intestine.  This helps with blood sugars, weight loss etc.  Its found naturally in some foods.  What I found interesting is that some  foods such as potatoes, rice and pasta have less after they become cold even if you reheat them.  That is just it in a nutshell.  Can get a better explanation if you Google it.

Bob and Brad do have some balance videos.  If you go to you tube and search, balance Bob and Brad they will pop right up.

Hope each and everyone has a good night.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 7:08 PM

Jo...I have seen where the Queen's drop Scones are called Scottich Pancakes! Could you possibly post that source you found.

Ron...wen a day early to the museum...came hame and read your post...made a postit for every "app" left this month and put on the frig!!!

Shots....my PCP and the pharmacy both say two weeks apart for the shots.

Finishing The Firm (netflix 22 episodes) tonight. It is pretty good.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 8:21 AM

Hi Judith; I am not certain what you are looking for. The drop scones that were made for the Queen are also called, Scottish Pancakes.  The recipe link listed will give more information I would think.   After checking out of my email bin on Yahoo, the Yahoo news and related stuff came up; this is where I found the recipe and the history re said recipe.  So; just look at the hyperlink and see what you glean.

Zetta, I am so glad you are doing okay after those falls.  It seems that a fall happens so abruptly we are taken by complete surprise and it feels really weird.  Once, I was at a mall with arms full of packages; I exited Macys, and did not realize the inside mall had just waxed and polished their high sheen stone floors. I had on shoes with leather soles . . . . WHEE!!!!   I slid big time and was soon airborne; I remember feeling astonished, then I hit the floor:  Ouch!  Packages and pocketbook went flying.  Ir hurt like the dickens; as I lay there before I got up, scores of people passed me by and not a single person stopped or even acknowledged I was lying there. Got myself up, slowly gathered the packages and handbag and limped to the exit and my car.  Weird.  Falling is scary and how I would get up now with bad knees I do not know.  Will watch myself more carefully after the discussions here. My balance is good, but it is easy to fall for a variety of reasons.

Glad the cattle are doing well, Lorita. Those allergies, now with the animals.  Is there anything that the guys may have brought in or sprayed the pastures with that could b causing much of this?  Just wondering as it seems to be just this season and so persistent and now with the animals too.

Didn't get more rain last night; maybe on Saturday; we shall see.  Temp in low 80's, waiting to get into the 70's; that will be nice.

Hope that this will be a good day for everyone with only good things happening,

J.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 10:24 AM

Morning,

Jo, the weather was so wet in the spring that no one was able to spray.  Stormy and Sheena have had allergies for several years so guess they are just like people.    Some days my allergies seem better, then bad again.  Maybe a frost will help.  Sarah told me yesterday she has allergies, too, and she hardly ever leaves the house.  Same with Carol -  not out except to get into the car.  Now this morning I have the dreaded d....  Carol's sister in Tyler, Texas and her SIL in Enid have it, too, so it's going around.  I think I ate too much Nutella.  Wasn't close to but three people yesterday.  While in check in line visited a bit with a man who had a GP.  This one was smaller than ours and was sort of reddish beige.

Pretty day, sunny and cool with some North wind.  The vet gave me Prednisone pills and Amox for Lilly.  I out them in her food and she didn't eat all of it  The pill is little so maybe it can be crushed.  Think I can get the Amox down her.  She is strong and I don't want to get scratched after all Sarah went through with her scratvhes.

Since I didn't feel too well I stayed in bed until 9:30.  Can't remember doing that except when I had the concussion seven years ago.

I like scones but never have made them.  Judith, did you make the Challah  bread?  If you did make it did you do the intricate braiding they did on the show?  Guess you could make it without braiding but it is pretty.

Jo, I can't imagine that someone didn't  help you when you fell - how awful.  Charles fell once coming out of the bank and two women came to help.  Another time he fell in Wal-Mart and several people got him up and to a bench.  Fell once getting out  of the PU in the WM parking lot and two young men helped him up and one went inside and got one of those carts for him. Glad they dud because it was hard for me to get him up.

Better go see if Lilly finished her food.  At least only one small pill each day.

Hope you all are okay this morning.  Back later.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 3:40 PM

Hi,

Received a call from the CPA that my taxes are done.  But, he has to have the signed forms back before he can send them in.  Therein lies the rub- If he mails them to me and I mail them back they won't get to him in time ,(Monday) so will have to pay a 5%'penalty on what I owe.  Because of the cattle sale and lease it's quite a lot.  Not sure the PU will make it over there and back ,(50 miles) without stopping on me.

Called the dealership and will go in at 9 tomorrow to get it fixed if they have the necessary part.  Then I can take the papers to him Monday.  May have to pay the penalty.  Sandy, this is what I get for procrastinating all summer!  May look for someone closer to do them next year or get them done on time.

Made my first Bear Creek potato soup and a fresh loaf of bread.  Really good.  I dice a couple of potatoes and cook them, then add to the pureed soup.  I don't like the little pieces that are in the soup.

Been a beautiful day.  Stormy is sleeping on the divan and Lilly is sleeping on my lap.  Sheena's still outside.  Sweet little Kitt is sound asleep on the hassock.  He only has one eye and not good vision in it but he has learned where things are and gets around okay.  To get to my chair, he climbs from the hassock to the end table and then onto the chair arm.  Smart little boy.

Called the Health Dept. about the senior flu shot.  They're out of them but will get more.  May get it at the pharmacy.  Takes two weeks to be effective.  I usually get it in late Oct. or early November.  Not sure, guess it depends on how tomorrow goes.

Where is everyone?  Out in the beautiful weather, I guess.  

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 3:47 PM

Lorita hope you are feeling a little better this evening.

We got around 1.3 inches of rain yesterday.  Thankful for the rain and hope others get some soon.

Got a call from snow plowing company today.  They are offering me a contract.  I’m so thankful, that is a burden lifted.  It is a reasonable price.  My BIL use to own a snow plowing business and he told me it shouldn’t be over a certain amount even at todays gas prices.  That is exactly what they are charging.  They are shoveling the stoop too which I told them I was willing to do so that is a bonus to me.  

Hope all get a good nights rest

Sayra
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 3:29 PM

Good evening

58F, very windy.

Got my last grow bag fixed for winter.  Had one dahlia getting ready to come out so brought it in house and cleaned rest up.  Only thing left is kale and Swiss chard.  Put their alfalfa pellets on and will leave them til next spring.  Maybe will still have greens for a while.

Everyone rocking quietly today and that is ok.

Goodnight.

BethL
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 4:23 PM

Got on an early flight this a.m. and now I'm in Houston to visit my daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandsons. Weather is beautiful here. It was chilly when I left Iowa. Glad to be here, but as I get older travel just gets more stressful. "Everything" (boarding pass, car rental agreement, etc) is on a QR code on my phone. For me, working with a person and getting paper is nice...

Just here for the wknd, back home Monday.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 5:22 PM

Hi,

Beth, glad you had a safe trip.  Bet Houston weather is very different than Iowa.  Enjoy your weekend.  Were there lots if people in the airports and on the plane?

Sara, you've worked hard this summer so nice that things are winding down for you so you can rest.  You have someone to get rid of the snow so know that's a relief for you.  Did you repot the dahlia?  I think I will dig up the caladium bulbs and see if they'll be good next year.  Funny thing - my tablet has changed caladium to every word under the sun.  Finally dawned on me to put it in the dictionary.

Have had a Tiring day.  Made my 9'am PU appt. and was there 2 1/2 hr.  He changed the fuel filter that collects water and found the diesel is old.  I mentioned the gas gauge doesn't work so every other time I would to town would fill up the tank so it has gotten old and the place I buy it uses a lot of additives that aren't good.  It still does the same thing but he says it won't stop running.  Still bothers me.  Guess I'll drive around in the country to use the old fuel. I asked about the gas gauge and was told they'd have to change a lot of things because of the age of the PU.

It's A Jeep Dodge dealership.  The showroom was empty so I waited there.  A little man cane in and we visited a bit.  He was really interesting.  He lives on the Lake and has a job looking after multi million dollar "cabins".  No one is there except on some weekends and holidays.  He bought a Jeep Renegade a year ago and likes it.  They didn't have many vehicles, only about half a dozen Jeeps and that many Dodge pickups - just can't get them.  I looked at the Jeeps and they are cute but not very big.  I'm used to something bigger but may change.  Price is not too bad about 32,000 for a 4x4 which I would need.

I hadn't been to the grocery store for about a month so stopped and got groceries.  I have most of them inside and put away but I am worn out.  I have to go more often so there won't be so much.  I buy a couple of most things so I'll have them.

Stormy was so excited when I got home.  He and Sheena are inside sound asleep.  Kitt is much better not scratching but wants to lay on my lap or in the chair with me which is fine.  Glad she is better.

Where is everyone today. Posting has been scant the last few days guess everyone us enjoying the nice weather.  Sara, so glad you got rain.  The man I talked with said he got about an inch a couple of days ago.

I'll stop and finish watching Tuna with Clint Walker.  Ron, is everything all right?

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 5:58 PM

What does that mean "the deisel is old" The PU is old right? And what is bad at the gas station? What has been added to the deisel fuel to make it bad? What is a 4x4?

× Close Menu