Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Moved In to Help Uncle He Passed This Weekend
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 4:48 PM
Joined: 4/25/2022
Posts: 1

Hi All,

I moved to California to help my uncle get home care. He was like a father to me. He passed this weekend.

I am being asked to leave so the trustee can secure his residence. His home in the trust and I am one of the beneficiaries. 

What are my rights? Can I have time to grieve?

Gear cares

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 2:41 PM
Joined: 12/9/2011
Posts: 13474

Hello gear cares; I am sorry for the loss of your beloved uncle as well as the situation you find yourself in.

Sadly; we here are not attorneys and your situation may be different from one state to the next and we do not want to give you bad information.  An attorney is best to answer such a question.  Being family who provided care AND who was a resident of that home for a period of time may possibly make a more positive situation; but that of course depends on the housing laws where you are.

NOTE:  I see by your Profile that you are in the San Francisco area; there is an excellent service group called, "Family Caregiver Alliance," located near where you are.  Their purpose is to assist caregivers with all sorts of information; they can make referral information available for many services. They may be able to refer you to someone who can help regarding your circumstances. Sometimes, cities will even have specials support contacts re housing issues for those who rent or otherwise live in a home or apartment they do not own.  It will be about your legal rights which wills probably take precedence over the humanistic aspects of what is happening, but they can tell you. Here are numbers for  Family Careagiver Alliance, Legal Aid and Housing Rights in your area; perhaps they can be helpful or refer you to someone who can give you accurate legal advice:

Family Caregiver Alliance phone number: (415) 434-3388.

Bay Area Legal Aid, San Francisco Office: https://baylegal.org/get-help/find-an-office/san-francisco-county/

Housing Rights Committee, San Francisco:  (415) 947-9085

I sincerely wish you well and so hope all works out well for you, let us know how you are, we will be thinking of you.


× Close Menu