Home Safety Checklist
RSS Feed Print
Before she evens starts the new caregiver quit
Kay82
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 8:46 PM

I am not surprised and very relieved.  

Since my sister is no longer part of the care team my daughter, who helps me, & I will have to be more creative in the balancing act of our lives. My daughter helps me, as much as she can, between her 2 other part time job and raising 3 children. I am also going to take the suggestion of making contact at my church as well as the church my parents attended before my father died seeking volunteers.  

Again a HUGE thank you for all the support I receive from this message board.

M1
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 9:59 PM

Kay, just a word of caution about volunteers.  It's a thought, but there may also be liability issues.  I'd think twice about it, sadly.  Others may have other opinions, but I'd be pretty cautious about how you'd use them/vet them.
LaurenB
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2022 8:01 AM

I'm sorry to hear that the new caregiver quit before starting, but I'm not surprised.  PWD are a challenging group to work with and the caregiving staff are underpaid for what they will need to do vs caring for a person with a physical disability only.  I think that looking for options from the church may help for social visits for an hour at a time, which can be a huge help for you to be able to run to the grocery store or take a shower, but agree with the previous poster about using them for your loved one's daily care.
Kay82
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2022 7:31 PM

Those were my thoughts in regards to volunteers, just an hour or so since the grocery store is a mile down the road and any other errands to run are close by.  I will be ok without a night away. It will be 6 months tomorrow since this journey started. 

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. 

× Close Menu