Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
3/31--Fast Food Day
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 10:07 PM

My birthday is in early April.  Since I have been eating healthfully for the past five months and have lost a lot of weight and have reversed a diabetic marker, I decided to make March 31 my fast food day.  I ate a hot dog, some mini corn dogs and an ice cream cone.  Tomorrow, April 1st, I will resume healthful eating.  I have a history of yo-yo dieting, so I don't want to be trapped again into the old way of eating.  Thanks for reading.

Iris

A losing hand.
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2021 7:50 AM

Iris, We  have to enjoy ourselves sometime, so don't worry about it. I hope you have a wonderful Birthday.  Good luck.
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2021 3:03 PM

Iris, with an average of over 1400 posts a year since 2009, I'm wondering when you have ever found time to eat ?

Seriously, as a type 2 diabetic, I have a pretty good idea of what you might be going through in trying to stay on top of a healthful diet. No matter how I try to stay focused on my goals, the fast foods - and the junk foods ! - are always calling me, like sirens to the seamen.

More power to you Iris, and a happy Easter !

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2021 8:52 PM

chrisp1653 wrote:

Iris, with an average of over 1400 posts a year since 2009, I'm wondering when you have ever found time to eat ?

LOL, Chrisp!  In the early years I aimed to respond to every patient who posted, and I aimed to contribute to a lot of caregiver posts.  I had experience as a patient myself, as a caregiver to my mom with cancer, and as a medical professional.  But lately I am slowing down on my posting.   

Although I believe in the part of Best Practices that is about eating a brain-healthy diet, I could not lose my sweet tooth.  What gave me my final wake-up call was getting an elevated Hgb A1c result.  I don't have a family history of diabetes, so I know that in my case this is due to lifelong overuse of my pancreatic islet cells and resulting insulin resistance.  I was too scared to accept defeat!  

In the beginning, every day, all I thought about was eating some carbs.  But every day I told myself "No!"  Gradually the sweets obsessions subsided.  Actually fast food day was a test for me--did I still crave these foods?  I can honestly say that I'm not obsessing over those foods.  It's a victory!  

Now, I eat 1/2 an apple or 1/2 a small sweet potato once in a while.  I eat green vegetables and proteins.  I drink water and green tea.  It's now pretty easy and pretty satisfying.  I hope you can find tasty and satisfying foods to keep your diabetes at bay, Chrisp!  Happy Easter to you, too!

Thanks for the birthday wish, losing hand!

Iris

× Close Menu