Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
I'll never know
obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:49 PM

How come everyone's getting what they want and I'm not ? Why is it that what they want is what I've wanted my whole life

But never got

Nor will ever get

Things have changed 

there's no sense now 

spending on frivolous niceties

far too extravagant for my now sheltered lifestyle 

If so, would it be enough then if I were the only one to enjoy such beauty ? All that should matter is me. Giving myself fulfillment regardless of everyone else.Even though there is no one else.

So I force myself to give myself what I've always wanted, like everyone else,my entire life

There's no twinkle in my eye or  sparkle in my smile because they are gone and what remains is sadness and a sense of nothing making sense What lessons am I to learn of this. What have I done that I do not deserve what others have. Maybe just good health, we can start there. We can even stop there and I'd be ecstatic to have good health. Once in a while. Maybe something curable next time. Now there's nerve damage to my left arm. So that's another do over. That's the fourth. That has to mean something too. 

I cannot give to myself something I've longed for my whole life, for I must take care of my immediate needs, all the time. What do I want, deep in my soul, that I can give myself. What does it really matter.

Moments that I lose my focus and see no purpose, 

I so yearn for a purpose to live. I realize that all I do is do, but nothing quite reaches my heart

So hard to have hope in a hopeless situation sometimes 

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:42 AM

What do you want Obrien? I mean other that not having dementia? I ask myself also "what would life be like and how would it be different? What would I be doing that I'm not doing now? Would I really be happy? Would some other problem or issue be consuming me?" Things to ponder...searching from deep within. 

In grad school I was taught to think in terms of solutions but it gets harder and harder when things don't make sense and the grass always looks greener on the other side of this disease wrecking my brain. It is a train wreck on any given day. There has to be something to salvage something that can be saved. One little cell that holds the answer to our purpose. 

Much love to you ((((((Obrien))))))

obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:24 PM

Thank you llee, for those words of encouragement. You always validate my feelings and cheer me on! Normally,I'm on top of things- not gonna let this dementia thing control me or my world. But I've been having a lot of stomach pain lately,  as well as nerve pain, and I'm totally fed-up with doctors and tests. I know I shouldn't complain, some of you are more advanced than I, but I just want to scream from the mountaintops. What comes out of my mouth depends on the day.
obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:08 PM

What is your purpose now, llee? What gives you great happiness? I would be teaching if I weren't at home and at this stage in the game, I wouldn't be happy. My boss would not have made any accomodations for me, so I probably would of had the full load, as in the past. The stress would have been the same, I would of hated it even more. Does that mean I should be grateful for having dementia since because of it , I get to take classes and shop and visit my daughter and nap and and and! I know I am more advanced then some and not as much as others. Our roads begin to branch off and like our personalities, our disease is custom-made, as well. 

I want to travel- I 've always wanted to do the Eat, Pray, Love thing but I stop dreaming when dementia comes back into play. Should I be even thinking about traveling or living abroad now that I have dementia? Do I want to be somewhere else when this gets ugly? Should my wife be alone and without family when that happens? Then again, out of the 4 kids, 1, maybe 2 give a crap- the others don't. I don't even know if disability allows for travel. I liked it more when it was all hypothetical-I don't want to talk about this.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:06 PM

While my LO was alive and needing me I practiced 'disecting' my feelings. What do I need? Why? Can I do it today?  Today, alone, I am still practicing and I encourage you to do the same. Two of my children have a place in my life but the others do not. I have accepted that and don't look for  a change in the future. It relieves me from having any angst about it or bitterness towards them. They cannot be in this at this time.

I know you have short range goals or plans. Do them. Even writing on these threads is a blessing for many of us. There are many others, like yourself who cannot express as well as you the feelings and their thoughts. You are doing a good thing now!

Blessings, sharon

Underdog
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:59 PM

I tell my wife that I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be than holding her hand while watching a good story on TV, and I mean it. I've ridden roller coasters and better still, I've stood in long, hot lines with impatient children.

I've seen the vacation pictures people take and it's like I was there. My imagination can provide all the discomfort; mosquitos, diarrhea, other forms of car sickness and expense and stress that goes with every vacation.

I don't need to walk a couple miles through a cavern to smell a musty odor for hours. There are better pictures online than I could ever take of anywhere I would happen to have my arm twisted into going.

Has anybody figured out that you can get bored and frustrated with any house you own no matter its location? Even expensive houses get dirty and deteriorate, and once you've seen a view, well, it doesn't change much the next day. 

It's all about relationships, which in retrospect, makes me wish I had developed more friends when I was younger. I just want the friends I make now to have cool houses.

dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:47 PM

You ask what lesson are you to learn from this.  Perhaps the lesson is for your partner, your children.

As far as travel on disability, you've already given proof.  If you don't travel now, you certainly won't be doing it 2 years from now.  

obrien4j
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:04 PM

Sharon, thank you for your beautiful, wise words. No doubt, it was very painful to come to that conclusion about your children, but it probably healed you as well, to accept the truth and not fight it. I agree and thank you for that. How sad though, my entire family comes from a dysfunctional background of sorts, you'd think that when they have the opportunity to build  a real true, loving family, unconventional and definitely untraditional, they run from it. I have tried, maybe not hard enough, but I am tired. Sharon, I am so so sorry fir the passing of your husband. Thank you for sharing your love for him with us- just as underdog, there is no other place you'd be, than with him and you gave to him so willingly and lovingly. I know that love for my wife says the exact thing- she still considers herself blessed to have me!  You were blessed to have eachother too.

Underdog, how sweet your love and patience for your LO.i do agree that it is all about the relationship s we have in our lifetime that matter the most. There's no need to go anywhere to make those beautiful memories. But if it is possible, and you've got that special someone to share those memories with today. than why not.My wife is a real homebody and I told her that I don't want to sit around in front of the tv all the time, but I want to make new memories. We're trying to find that middle ground.

BlueSkies
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:59 AM

Hi obrien!

I'm not too good for traveling anymore, but I don't sit around and watch tv all day either.  As a matter of fact, I rarely watch tv anymore.  I love to just be outside or in my greenhouse.  Do you like to do things outdoors?  I feel so connected to life outside with nature.   What about a hobby that you always wanted to pick up?  Now is the time to go for it.  

I know how you feel about health.  Boy, is mine declining too.  Walking is getting difficult.  My stupid rash is back and driving me crazy.  Guess I'll have to increase my gabapentin again.  I keep busy most of the time outside where I am happy and don't have to think about how I feel.  It really does help.  Hey don't forget to get some of that "good" CBD oil from Charlotte's Web by the Stanley brothers.  It really does help with a sense of well being and will help with your physical symptoms too.  

Hope you can find something soon to help you feel better about your situation.  We all have to find what works for us.  Like you said, we're all different.  

Just wanted you to know, I hear you and I understand how you feel.  

Lots of love to you always, BlueSkies

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 10:37 AM

It helps. To continue to believe in fairy tales. The ones my mother read to me. And to believe in one key and crucial element of what was taught to me. In Sunday School, of all places. About living happily ever after. As for me, I’m not religious.  But that doesn’t stop me from believing in the spiritual afterlife. Simply, because I want to. In my pursuit of happiness. Yes. Yes. I am a true believer in the future. Even if it sounds like a fairy tale. Odd, isn’t it? That some unhappy professed true believers. That I know quite well. Seem to have forgotten what it means to be true believers. --Jim

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:19 AM

Sharon,

I needed to hear what you wrote about your children. In my reply to Obrien I came to the realization that I have been waiting for my family to make me happy. Helping them over and over again waiting for my help to take effect. In reality I have been putting band-aids on a geyser.  Repeating the same mistakes over and over and expecting different results. 

× Close Menu