Caregiving resources for every stage of the disease.
RSS Feed Print
the CBD oil experiment continues
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:07 AM

I tried using the CBD oil (made from cannabis buds and leaves) with THC in it for 6 months or more.

When we needed new oil that batch did not work as well. I had gotten used to the THC and had little trouble with it but it did not counter the decline as well as when I first started a couple years ago.

So we went back to an old tube of the non THC oil and yesterday I walked 2 miles (2 walks of 1 mile each) which means I was tired enough at end of day and slept.

Yesterday we went to thrift store and then to look at used cars. I was able to ride in back seat of 3 test cars.

It took about 2 days of restarting the non THC oil to get improvements.

If you live in a legal state like California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Michigan etc and you have a dispensary I can now say the oil to ask for is "the one they give to children with seizures" which was known as "charlotte's web oil" by the growers in Colorado. This oil is much less expensive than the THC oil.

This is not a tincture. It is very thick tarry looking stuff. The dose is a speck dissolved under the tongue about the size of a grain of rice.

I keep it under my tongue for 5 minutes minimum and forget it is there.

I am familiar now with the calm/awake effect.It may be just my personal preference. When I do not take the oil I pretty much do not move during the day, usually in bed.

I can use the THC oil for nights. There are videos that show the return of function for people with neurological conditions within minutes. No side effects. This should be available to everyone with ALZ, Parkinson's, etc.

The leaves are turning, cool nights are welcome.

My son called me to advise on fixing the basement and the expense of that. We had a great talk. He is a business professional who also is involved in a car restoration business. He never knew his paternal grandfather but he is very much like him. Years ago he decided to buy an old car and "restore it". Turns out the car he picked was his paternal grandfather's favorite car model! Weird?

so they have cars entered in a car show in Las Vegas in october and his will be there with his team. So I asked if I could come and he said "Sure!"  I don't think I will ever try to travel again but him saying that was enough.

He and Keeper talked and I left the house so they could say what they needed and ask anything. They both seemed relieved and my son talked to husband about the cost of fixing up the house and gave his approval of doing whatever is needed to make this EASY as possible.

I was able to talk with him on phone for maybe 5 minutes before I could not take it anymore. That is 5 minutes more than usual because I had taken the oil.

so whatever it is progresses but it is so much easier when I sue the non thc oil in day time. I usually wander around the house saying "I don't know what to do,"over and over and then go back to bed.

I hope to contact some big growers in another state about designing an oil for ALZ patients, one made from indica (relaxing) and one made from sativa (imagination, creative, active).

Hope this is helpful. Any stage is improved. Life is so much easier.

julielarson
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:58 AM

Alz my preference is the non THC marijuana  but since they passed legalization for any adult that wants to do marijuana here the dispensaries do not carry CBD only pot.. I have even tried to get 1to 1 but they do not carry that either.. I am not happy with what is going on in this state because of people like me wanting medicinal marijuana but it not being available.. Last year we grew some nearly 1to1 and it is good but now we do not have a choice in what is out there.. This year we have plants that are high THC and very low CBD which works for sleep and I take it for that reason... I will use what is left over from last years crop to make my tincture.. I am glad you are doing better with the CBD marijuana ... Sounds like it makes a big difference for you... That is great..
obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:28 AM

Alz+, what brand do you recommend that is non-time I got it ( don't remember thTHC/CBD oil? A local shop has some but the last time I got it, it didn't seem to work. I  don't like the foggy feeling during the day with the other
grandmalynda
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:51 PM

Thanks for the update alz+.  I am anxiously awaiting the day when I can afford the card.  Sounds like it could be just what I''m looking for.  You are so lucky to have fall weather.  Live in AZ now but I fondly remember the gorgeous fall leaves when we lived in Colorado.  Have a beautiful day!

--Lynda

obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:55 PM

I live in such a backwards state that we'll be the last for everything!
BillBRNC
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:27 PM

alz+, there is a place in Ashville, NC, that purports to sell CBD oil. I can't figure out how to post the link or anything else, so I can only ask you to Google the site: Carolina Hemp Company. They sell something called Peak CBD oil. Is this the type of stuff you are talking about for our dementia problems with anxiety, pain or whatever? This looks to be something made from industrial hemp, which apparently is not illegal per the DEA. Let me know. Thanks. Bill.
obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:25 PM

Bill- I believe so. I was in contact with Alz+ about purchasing  some at a local "head" shop. It was non THC CBD oil. It is pricey and stupid me, I really didn't pay attention as to how it was working for my particular dementia.  So I'd be interested in buying it again and seeing if it improves SOMETHING! Alz + and others swear by it. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Have a good night, Bill
BillBRNC
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:38 AM

OK, so one more question. Alz+, I hope you see this. Is the Peak stuff at Carolina Hemp the type for anxiety and behavioral stuff? Also, how exactly do you take it? You mentioned something about rice. It appears to be a liquid with a medicine dropper thing. Anyway, what is the best way to take it, as in without cookies or butter or stuff like that. I am getting at the end of my rope, and that anxiety meds actually seem to make things worse rather than better, why I know not. Thanks. Bill.
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:45 AM

Very grateful Alz+ that you share this exp with us. 
kdwcpa
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:32 PM

I have been using CBD to help the anger that seems to bubble up sometimes.  The best I have found is at Miriam's Hope.  It seems very well tested.

Does anyone know anything that might help REM sleep disorder? 

alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:44 AM

Bill - anything made from Industrial Hemp is NOT medical cbd oil.

I found a brief beginners manual online free.

https://www.projectcbd.org/guidance/beginners-guide

I have spent some time this past week studying what I can find online.

It appears that my sense that the oil is very individual in response because the strain of plants used DOES matter. The problem in finding a one oil for all people with any disease is that the person's response is unique to them. Probably any CBD oil will cut down inflammation from any cause and provides something else no one yet know what, and that is what brings back cognition (in my case) and helps with energy and ability to move.

Hemp oil is not medicine grade. 

My state is legal - but the local governments and police will not allow pharmacies or dispensaries. The locals go off about Demon Weed etc so our state is not benefiting from the sales taxes like in Colorado or California. So I go to a farmers co-op that  is harassed by law enforcement where the police confiscate equipment and plants. 

We never know if it will disappear when the farmers give up or are jailed. 

Progress is slow but my primary care doctor is seeing her patients get off opioids by using cannabis and having benefits with its use in all forms for different ailments, even arthritis pain. 

If it were legal to use the mail to deliver the oil I think Colorado would be where I would buy it. But each person will react differently and the plants have unique qualities. Marijuana is not one thing. There are strains that are joyful, sedating, energizing, creative, lazy, and some are used by athletes for endurance. 

I would also travel to Colorado to get this oil if local farmers are shut down again.

It seems that if I don't use it for a couple days the disease has still progressed! like I have a blown fuse and the CBD  oil flips the switch. This on/off factor seems critical to researchers trying to find the cause of our symptoms and a way to repair the cause, I told the research group I was part of about the improvements in my function and they blew me off, and rudely. I gave my blood and hours of testing for 8 years but they were not interested because they are looking for a drug that will have side effects and will be expensive and do not really want to communicate with the patients once they are diagnosed. 

alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:55 AM

the issue in making a cannabis medicine is the unique effect on each person and their preferences.

Because the THC oil has been used with success in cancer patients it feels like those trying to create standardized CBD products think it is more useful than the CBD oil with minimal THC.

I don't think that is true for me. I tried to "cure" the ALZ but guessing my way through this I did not find either the right thc oil blend or it was made from plant strain that did not fit me or it just is not needed for results. So I am staying with plain CBD oil which is a thick dark brown stinky oil. The taste is icky.

If I were a pharmacologist...but I am not. The research on this will take longer than we have.

CANNABIS DOSING

Cannabis is personalized medicine. The right CBD / cannabis treatment depends on the person and condition being treated. For maximum benefit, choose cannabis products that include both cannabidiol (CBD), a non-intoxicating compound, and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component of cannabis. CBD and THC interact to enhance each other’s therapeutic effects. They work best together.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:11 AM

Obrien - mine is no brand. The oil we buy is from a cannabis farmer coop headed by tribal elder. The government is on them but they persist in making blends (can not use word medicines) because people are suffering and it works.

Personally I would love to be stoned every now and then but I because it is hard enough for me to negotiate the physical world because of vision loss etc I just don't think of it. I did end my post bladder infection rage side show when I found some Purple Kush remains and smoked a bowl of it.  Rage ended so fast I forgot I had been suffering with it, until days later when I tried to think of what ended the distress. Keeper doesn't think to give me it at the time we are battling but we are learning every day.  

Purple Kush is my favorite, it opens my heart chakra! makes me mellow. We tried to get seeds but the people who produce seeds are always experimenting and cross breeding.

Making a standardized medicine is too tricky because of the plants' qualities, the person's needs and preferences, and then as disease progresses reactions may change, so I already gave up my dream on that. If we had a way to grow and make oil I would send it to everyone to at least try. But we don't and it is up  to someone else to create.

Many of us have multiple conditions etc so finding what works is hard enough, but then being able to have the same medicine time after time for me is impossible. Have been lucky so far.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:17 AM

grandmalynda wrote:

Thanks for the update alz+.  I am anxiously awaiting the day when I can afford the card.  Sounds like it could be just what I''m looking for.  

--Lynda

came to board pre dawn to see how you were. 

Arizona is legal - how expensive is the card? In Michigan it is $100? I think. Do you have dispensaries?

You could ask for what they give kids with seizures. A relative is in Oregon and has had epilepsy for 20 years, serious grand mal several times a day. In Oregon she has access to oils and plants and goes weeks without a seizure. She had to move from Wisconsin to get it without being a criminal. Her life changed.

The government ought to lay off. This is ridiculous.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:16 AM

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:18 AM

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:21 AM

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:24 AM

My research contributions for the day.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:47 AM

Bill...went to the Parkinson's "message board" and found you beat me there by two hours!

Did you also search for "CBD oil" there?

Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:53 AM

Like ALZ, we also use purple Kush. Its a strong relaxer, made from the Indica strain. We only use the Indica strain because it does not give us a high, but a whole body relax feel, and we only take it at night in bed. Best sleep in over a decade. We use edibles mostly, with maybe one half hit of Indica through a vape pipe. I will eat a small dose of an edible about 90 minutes before sleeping, as some edibles take that long to feel the effect. I also some nights will take one small hit off the vape pipe right before I roll over to go to sleep. We dont sit around and get high, munchies, and laugh at old TV shows. Use for us is strictly for sleeping, and my wife gets good results in eliminating leg pain at night due to her Multiple Sclerosis. 

This should be a legal option in all states. 

BillBRNC
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 4:34 PM

jfkoc wrote:

Bill...went to the Parkinson's "message board" and found you beat me there by two hours!

Did you also search for "CBD oil" there?

===========================================

Been visiting there for a year or so to get Parkinson information. Good place for information. I really like the Ask A Doctor section where you can get questions answered by a big shot in Parkinson's Disease. I haven't even been back to see if anyone responded to my question there about CBD, as I forgot I posted a question there. I will go now and seel.

===============================

BlueSkies
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:13 PM

Thank you alz for sharing your experience with cbd oil here.  You no doubt have helped many who have come to these boards.  You and "6th year caregvr" ( he is the one that has the YouTube video about his mom's improvement) posts on cbd has helped me tremendously.  Thanks!

It's a crime that this is not available legally to all who need it.  As far as I am concerned it is God's natural medicine and works better than anything man can make.  

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:09 PM

When I put CBD OIL in the search box a lot of discussion came up. When are you moving?
alz+
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 4:38 AM

sorry I can't get live links to appear.

BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 8:56 AM

I've read up a lot recently, including the article alz+ just mentioned. This is all very interesting. I don't know what's what anyway. But it seems to me that there is a small battle taking place between the non-THC advocates and the THC advocates. Each says the other isn't the right way to go. I might be wrong, but it really seems like the THC group is mostly pushing for basic legal MJ, as opposed to what might be medically the best way to go, but I certainly could be wrong. I don't care whether people get high on MJ or not. I'm mostly a Libertarian when it comes to things like this, so to each their own. But for me, right now, with DLB, I wish I could find a truly unbiased article about the true medical issues with medical MJ. Since it is hard to find or hard to know if the articles are unbiased, I go with the almost unanimous view of people who have dementia (and who have tried MMJ) that it works to some extent on most people. That is good enough for me right now, so I am going to try it. A bottle of the non-THC is in my post office box right now waiting for me to get it. Happy Monday.
julielarson
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 9:22 AM

Bill the doctor I went to for medical marijuana said to get high CBD and low THC... He said at the vary least get a 1to1 balance of both.. It is the shops here that are messing with the medical marijuana and I am not happy about it because it means that I have to go with a THC that is much higher than I need and little to no CBD... recreational pot has ruined the market..
BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 2:11 PM

Well, from the bottle to my mouth and then wherever. Just had my first dose a couple hours ago, and I don't feel a thing. But I read that it takes a while for the stuff to build up in a person's system. Well see. Happy Monday.
BlueSkies
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 8:50 PM

Can't remember how long it took for me to feel a difference, but I don't think it was very long.  You should see an improvement in your anxiety at least fairly soon.

Good luck!

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 9:29 PM

Hey Bill, how about you and your wife keeping a journal of sorts so you can look back on how it went.

× Close Menu