Apply Now
RSS Feed Print
Life after
chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2021 4:41 PM

The sun was out today, and I was able to get in a walk - my first one since the snow started falling a week or so ago.

It was glorious ! Discounting the times I had to walk in the street to avoid the still big piles of dirty snow on some of the sidewalks, and having to shield my eyes for much of time, it was an experience I have missed for a long time. Of course, there are plenty of other things I've missed that will hopefully come back with time.

Sadly, there are some things that will not. Walking with Barbara. Hearing her move about the house. Knowing that she is right next to me in the bed at night.

Funny, one more thing I miss has nothing to do with Barbara , except in an oblique sort of way : I miss reading the posts from Jim Broede, down here in the basement. To the oldsters here, Jim was a fixture. He could be relied to take the opposite opinion on any topic, if it made people think. His form. Of writing. Was troublesome. On occasion. And his yes. Yes. Yes! Was sort of irritating. Sometimes.

Oh well... the sun comes up, and the sun goes down.

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2021 5:42 PM

Actually, Chris, a lot of the activity of posting I did was goofing around on Jim’s threads.  That was kinda fun. I miss that too. 

Glad to hear you had a good walk Chris!

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 2:12 PM

You know, Ruthie, I think you were one of the very few that Jim did not seem to feel the  need to goad, or take the opposite position with. Maybe it's your way of writing so " non-confrontationally .  Who knows ? However it was, to me it was as if you were a younger sister who needed to be protected. For the rest of us though  ?  We were fair game, in an arena in which Jim usually came out on top - or at least, in which he seemed to get the last word.

Funny, I used to have no problems climbing up on my roof if something needed to be attended to, but after Jim's untimely death, I have shied away from going up there.

Andy62
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 7:49 AM

Speaking of Jim, I was one who had many arguments with Jim, but also, unknown to many, we exchanged several private messages. I had a few different names on this forum, but all a combination with Andy or Andrew in the title.

I sincerely hope in Jims  final moments as he managed to get back in his house that he had a change of heart for what really counts.

This is my first post in over a year. 

My Mother in Law who is 85 was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. Her 49 year old son lives with her to assist her. We give them both a break by having her spend two nights a week with us, which he really appreciates. I learned on this forum the importance of the primary caregiver getting help, so for the last 7 months, we get to enjoy 2 days each week with her. She is probably in mid stage 5.

I spent a few years on this forum after being diagnosed with MCI, being told dementia would hit me soon. However, a different path was in store for me as I was one of the  10 percent who revert back to “normal” cognition 18 months ago.

Sorry for your loss Chris. I think of you when we are on the Oregon coast and get ice cream at BJs.

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 10:54 AM

Nice to know that you're still up and around, Andy. I also didn't post here for a while - until after Barbara passed.

When she was on hospice, the social worker hooked me up with a program through our county ( Multnomah ) that provided a grant for respite care. It allowed me to use an outside agency which would send someone to be with Barbara while I did whatever I wanted. I don't know if that kind of program is something you might want to look into, but it was nice for me.

I trust that you and your family are all weathering this Covid thing well.  I am thankful that the ugliness of it never really  touched us, and that Barbara was able to stay here in our house, with me, until the night she left to be in the arms of our Lord.

You take care, brother. Who knows ? Maybe one day we'll meet each other at BJ's ! If not there, then in heaven.

Andy62
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 11:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. My MIL Joan, will probably move into a MC facility later this year. She has the means to pay for at least 7 years, which is probably well past her life expectancy. She has several health issues which will most likely be what causes her death before AZ does. In the mean time, we enjoy our visits here, and she will eventually be in a facility  near our home.

I read your post you made about Barbara after she passed, very moving.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 2:39 PM

Hello, chrisp, ruth and Andy.  Andy, I'm glad to know that you have reverted back to "normal."  I think I'm basically holding steady.  

Iris

Andy62
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 9:53 AM

Iris - Im glad to hear the good Dr is holding steady!

× Close Menu